seriously

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
L'howon
Vidmaster

I'll enjoy the maps that are sure to come out of it

*EDIT* I guess I'm just retarded
Last edited by L'howon on Apr 13th '08, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
$lave

Forge is REALLY, REALLY, REALLLY easy to use, have you at least watched the tutorials and/or read the forge manual? I'm guessing smithy won't be much easier to use, it seems like it has a nearly identical draw mode and a similar visual mode....
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Yeah, honestly Forge has the lowest learning curve of any map editor I've used, except for even older games like WolfEdit. You're not going to find anything easier out there.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

$lave wrote:Forge is REALLY, REALLY, REALLLY easy to use
Lies.
Can't speel for hist.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

No FPS game has an easy editor (except Wolf3D), the environments are just too complicated and there are too many variables.

That said, Forge is by far the easiest to learn and understand of any I've tooled around with.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Apr 12th '08, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Mayhaps. I'll get around to fiddling with it sometime or another (yay PPC eMac with Classic enviroment... else i'd be screwed with my Intel iMac!)
it certainly warrants another go at it, from what you guys are saying
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
$lave

I downloaded forge when I was about 12 years old, and I found it extremely easy to use. The tutorials helped me understand liquids/lights a bit better, but besides that if you just start with some simpler maps, it should take no time to get used to at least the basics of forge (lights, liquids, heights, windows small levels etc.)
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

MasterYo1 wrote:If it has a Windows component, I'll definitely use it
It's cross-platform. Or the code is anyway, but I can't seem to figure out how to cross compile even C, and that means OCaml is right out. When someone figures out how to trick that into working there will be a binary release for you guys to try out.
VirtualX1 wrote:i can't wait for it to come out of the early beta stages >_<
It's unlikely that this will ever happen, it's a big project for one dude and I have literally a million more interesting things to do instead, including but not limited to graduating, research, and women. OCaml isn't a difficult language, and if someone else with time to spare wanted to help out there would be a significant reduction in the time to ship.
L wrote:Hopefully its a little more user friendly than forge.
Every map maker ever will disagree with you here. Basically the reason that no other map editors have really taken off is because they haven't been Forge, the pinnacle of Marathon map editor design. Also, Forge is not an engine.
$lave wrote:It seems like it has a nearly identical draw mode and a similar visual mode....
That is the idea.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Apr 13th '08, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
$lave

smithy looks great so far, but with regards to visual mode I have a couple questions

1. I would assume visual mode will show textures when smithy is done, not just colours... am I mistaken?

2. Can you texture in visual mode, or will it texture by side (in draw mode), and only have visual mode too look around?

3. It seems that in visual mode you look up from the ground, giving you a slightly skewed perception of the map, will this be changed?
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, when Smithy is actually done, visual mode will use textures pulled from a Shapes file. The colors it's using right now are so that I can actually see the map geometry as I wander a map; earlier when the walls were solid yellow you couldn't really make anything out.

Texturing in visual mode is how Forge does it, and so that's Smithy's goal. I have known a couple (seriously maybe two) people who prefer texturing by side, and maybe when texturing in visual mode is done I'll include that as well.

What are you talking about, looking up from the ground? Here's a screenshot from AlephOne from approximately the same position in the map.
dude, seriously. dude.
$lave

Ah, never mind about the height thing. Without textures I couldn't find the right angle looking at the map, everything just looked a bit off.

One last thing, will smithy be able to handle long views, transparent lines etc. as well (or at least close to as well) as A1? If not, that is the only reason I would appreciate the ability to texture/light sides in draw mode. Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions; smithy just looks great so far and I'm curious as to how it's going to turn out :P
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Smithy (at the moment) uses a naive OpenGL renderer, where it just dumps the map to the graphics card and says, "Fuck, you deal with this." It's a little slow, but transparent lines and long views are not a problem. What is dangerous is 5D space, and I am not sure how I am going to tackle that problem yet.
dude, seriously. dude.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:No FPS game has an easy editor (except Wolf3D), the environments are just too complicated and there are too many variables.

That said, Forge is by far the easiest to learn and understand of any I've tooled around with.
Better.
Can't speel for hist.
HogePiyo
Cyborg

thermoplyae wrote:Now slightly more developed:

(Ne Cede Malis entryway)
I feel Smithy will complete what my Map Editor One J cannot do (ex. Visual mode) soon :)
SourceForge.net Project
-JUICE ( Released from irons )
-Map Editor One J ( in progress )
-Terminal Editor One J ( in progress )
-Physics Editor One J ( latest version downloadable from FileBall)
-------------------
SourceForge.jp Releases
-Map Viewer One
-Physics Editor One
-Map Demerger One
-------------------
My web site
[HogePiyo's Tools Download Page]|
-------------------
avator image from : http://source.bungie.org/content/content_c...avid_Simon.html
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

actually if you've ever played sauerbruton (<thats probally spelled wrong). It has an extremely easy to use editor.

thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

HogePiyo wrote:I feel Smithy will complete what my Map Editor One J cannot do (ex. Visual mode) soon :)
Heh, unlikely, unless "soon" means "sometime in the next couple of years." :)
dude, seriously. dude.
lpetrich
Born on Board

In my post in the Map Viewer J thread, I explain how to calculate visibility; it's what I did in my Marathon Map Viewer, available at http://archives.bungie.org/search.html

You'll need StuffIt Expander to extract its archive's contents; however, that archive includes its source code.

I'd also implemented textures in it; you can study my OpenGL code to see how I did it.

You can also download my Marathon Map Analyzer and Marathon Map Exporter from there to see how I did some additional stuff with Marathon maps.

StuffIt Expander is a free download:
OSX version
Windows version
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, I saw! I've had the tab open for several days now, just waiting for some productive free time. Conquering the 5D space thing was without a doubt going to be the hardest (in the this-requires-real-intellect sense) part of just setting up the renderer; after that's taken care of it should be relatively smooth sailing.
dude, seriously. dude.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

There's been some work on Smithy lately.

Just keeping you dudes in the loop.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Jun 29th '08, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'm starting to get excited about this, which is saying something.
Alan
Cyborg

Thermoplyae...wow that's a awesome name...anyhoo

I downloaded Smithy. How do I turn it on?
Ignorance creates the deluded.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Alan wrote:Thermoplyae...wow that's a awesome name...anyhoo

I downloaded Smithy. How do I turn it on?
There are compilation instructions (sort of) earlier in this thread for the older copy of Smithy that you probably have. The process is somewhat easier if you grab the copy out of subversion (there are instructions on smithy.sf.net about how to do this), the instructions for which are available here or in docs/installing.txt in your checkout.

Lua Visual Mode is a script for AlephOne, but Smithy is an actual standalone program written in OCaml, and you have in your possession a copy of the source code. "Turn it on" isn't how this works; you must compile it.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Jul 1st '08, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
Alan
Cyborg

Ok... I did not understand what I had to download. The instructions tell me that I don't need to download lablgtk/lablgl with support for lablgl/lablgtk respectively. Isn't lablgl/lablgtk the same thing as lablgtk/lablgl? And the lablgtk and lablgl is part of the download list. So I don't need to download it to use it?

Anyhoo... yeah...umm...yeah...I'll just wait until the smithy is complete.
Ignorance creates the deluded.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

The "respectively" means "order matters". And yes, it's probably best to wait for a binary release.
dude, seriously. dude.
The Man
Vidmaster

This seriously looks badass. Looking forward to a binary release.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge