MarathUp 1.0 now out

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:What does Internet Explorer has to do with anything?

Is the tutorial crashing or something?

And, can't you try FireFox? Or Safari for Windows?
I'm just going off of what it tells me, nothing more.
For some reason, windows user's have a bug in they're Marathup Plugin that causes all the parameters of any kind to be checked off.

effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:What does Internet Explorer has to do with anything?
I'm not sure exactly, but I think that Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are intertwined.
Attachments
2009_01_09_221104_redueced_.jpg
2009_01_09_221104_redueced_.jpg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 9440 times
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I blame Windows. It's being stupid.

Try this: Go as far as you can with sketchup, as long as it will export the map. Save the sketchup file. Immediately quit sketchup. Learn what you need to do next, or take note, or print the next step. Open your sketchup file again and do the next step while IE is NOT active.

Maybe ask for help here:

http://sketchup.google.com/support/
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 20th '09, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

That sounds worth a try, except Firefox is my default browser (what you see in the screen shot). Still, I'll try adjusting properties with only SketchUp running.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Something I did already do with IE was reset Privacy and Security settings to defaults, and browsed the advanced options. Not really understanding what all the options imply, I only tried allowing debugging of scripts and turned off the popup blocker.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I've used that script a bit more and it seems that it comes buggy as soon as you make "complex" architecture, especially when modifying existing polygons.

It's not very easy in forge or forge-like (Smithy) editors to modify the geometry of an already existing room (eg add a crate) : you have to delete the polygon, add the lines, fill... and then you have to turn the rest of the room as it was before (elevation, lights, textures...).

With SketchUp you can actualy modify a room... you cut the poly with new lines, change elevation... but even if you add the proper lines to the ceiling (which can be quite difficult) it won't work : "Unable to find floor to corresponding ceiling face"

too bad...
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

VladTepes wrote:I've used that script a bit more and it seems that it comes buggy as soon as you make "complex" architecture, especially when modifying existing polygons.

It's not very easy in forge or forge-like (Smithy) editors to modify the geometry of an already existing room (eg add a crate) : you have to delete the polygon, add the lines, fill... and then you have to turn the rest of the room as it was before (elevation, lights, textures...).

With SketchUp you can actualy modify a room... you cut the poly with new lines, change elevation... but even if you add the proper lines to the ceiling (which can be quite difficult) it won't work : "Unable to find floor to corresponding ceiling face"

too bad...
I beat those problems. It was my fault.
The parameters are all that keep this from becoming my #1 ranked editor in my book.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I can't get the terminal to work. It does nothing at all.

And they want me to use ResEdit!? [MErr]

For multiplayer, I need to know how to set all the spawn points. No mention of that on the tutorial.
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 21st '09, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:I can't get the terminal to work. It does nothing at all.

And they want me to use ResEdit!? [MErr]
Try Atque
http://sourceforge.net/projects/igniferroque
Manual here:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/igni...le=Atque_Manual
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well, I still can't get it to show anything, but at least now it IS making the "bing" terminal activation sound. So Aleph One knows there's a terminal there.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Somebody please download this map and edit it. Add logon/off graphics and some text so I can then split it an analyze it. It's hard to follow some info from Atque's manual and other info from Forge's manual

right click and save as

http://ukimalefu.googlepages.com/MergedMapFiles.sceA

It works in Infinity, but it looks better in M2
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 21st '09, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Don't forget you can use Atque to split any map you have, like the Infinity Map or Coriolis Loop, to see how terminals and PICTs work!

If you want to improve the Atque manual, it's a wiki, you just need a free SourceForge account.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Don't forget you can use Atque to split any map you have, like the Infinity Map or Coriolis Loop, to see how terminals and PICTs work!

If you want to improve the Atque manual, it's a wiki, you just need a free SourceForge account.
I have a SourceForge account. I have commented on Aleph One before.

I can't improve the manual. It's like chinese to me. I'm new to this.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, by comparing it to Infinity's map, I got a working term, but text is off-center and it closes automatically and I don't know why. Couldn't figure out how to make it stay. But it's some progress. [MGrin]

If you want to try it out, right click and save as. Put in your Aleph One folder (with M2 or infinity files)

http://ukimalefu.googlepages.com/ukimapterm2.sceA
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you post the text file you used to make that? It's less trouble for me than downloading an sceA, splitting it :)
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Can you post the text file you used to make that? It's less trouble for me than downloading an sceA, splitting it :)
[

Code: Select all

];
#TERMINAL 0
#UNFINISHED
#LOGON 1600
;
  Hi there, good to see you again.

Grab some ammo from the room behind you and
  go deal with the guys upstairs.
;
#LOGOFF 1600
#END
#ENDTERMINAL 0
;[/[code]]
treellama
Vidmaster

OK usually the LOGON section only has a line or two of text that gets displayed under the picture. You probably want to put your text in an INFORMATION section instead. Check out the Marathon Infinity manual starting at page 41 to find out what all the sections are.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 22nd '09, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

DONE!

Works as it should. Thank you very much. [MGrin]

Here is it:

http://ukimalefu.googlepages.com/UKImapFINAL.sceA

I have 2 more questions (for anybody who can help)

1- How to set spawn points for multiplayer games using MarathUp. (I may discover this, and more, by myself, but if anybody can help...)

2-Also with MarathUp, how to make an open sky map, you know, no ceiling.
interion
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:DONE!

Here is it:

http://ukimalefu.googlepages.com/UKImapFINAL.sceA
It was kind of a strange map. The first few times I played it, the hallway behind the spawning point would flood with enemies from both ends, and there were no weapons as suggested by the terminal. A little later, I could get through the hallway without seeing a single enemy. And I couldn't figure out what the switches were supposed to do.
Image Image
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tim wrote:It was kind of a strange map. The first few times I played it, the hallway behind the spawning point would flood with enemies from both ends, and there were no weapons as suggested by the terminal. A little later, I could get through the hallway without seeing a single enemy. And I couldn't figure out what the switches were supposed to do.
What!? [MWuh]

You gotta be kidding.
Cathunter
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:DONE!

2-Also with MarathUp, how to make an open sky map, you know, no ceiling.

Still haven't got around to trying MarathUp but if it generates a map like Marathon/Aleph One then there needs to be a ceiling. This ceiling can be coated with sky textures and high enough for most weapons fire to fall short of it (or seem to). I have found there are limitations to high ceilings: have to be less than 32 units or the textures are scrambled; some polygon edges become opaque to weapons fire though not to you.

Cathunter
jessenator
Cyborg

---> Has anyone figured out a way to 'pave' the level, so it just paints the backfaces? <---

Are there problems with just selecting all the polygon faces and paint-bucketing everything and then doing all the fine work with VML? Actually, this doesn't work... it doesn't select any backfaces and makes AO crash.

This tool is amazing!

oh btw- in case anyone wanted to know, to make an octagon with a side length (not radius) of 1" (unit), first, change the units (temporarily) in the model info dialog box to 'decimal' and set the number of decimals appropriately enter the radius to be 1.30656296

the formula for figuring it out, for any polygon, is here: http://www.mathopenref.com/polygonradius.html
Last edited by jessenator on Jan 27th '09, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t
jessenator
Cyborg

If you wish

I have created some "primitives" for use in your mapping endeavors with MarathUp. it's just a collection of building materials that I like to keep on hand. Note: this is not meant as a replacement for the 'objects.skp' file- these are polygon/component pieces.

http://www.jessendesign.com/marathon/index.html

enjoy!
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks, Jess! You've nearly read my mind! What I've been telling myself I'll (someday) have time to do is get a group of components together for all monsters, items, etc. represented accordingly via Infinity's shape file. Is that some of your "Switches...etc." file? I'll have to wait to check it out tonight.

Thanks for the initiative!
jessenator
Cyborg

effigy wrote:Thanks, Jess! You've nearly read my mind! What I've been telling myself I'll (someday) have time to do is get a group of components together for all monsters, items, etc. represented accordingly via Infinity's shape file. Is that some of your "Switches...etc." file? I'll have to wait to check it out tonight.

Thanks for the initiative!
No Problem. I figure if we start contributing there'll be less gloom talk going around [MGrin]
yeah. their just generic, more like placeholders, but the wall properties have been set so all you do is open up the options and make specific changes. I was mainly going for convenience as far as shape size- the current tex set is sewage (that's Walls3, right?)

the steps file is just a simple 1.25U x 1u step piece (as described in the tutorial), and the others are shapes that I wanted which involved some maths to get their sides to be exactly 1u, like an octagonal piece and a hexagonal piece.

the complex, or rather, BIG structures are larger things like huge staircases that can be snapped together as they are; a hypostyle hallway with pillars, btw I don't recall how it said it in the tutorial, but the best way i've found to make pillars and the like is to draw on the outer face (the white face) of the floor of each room and then just push/pull (NOT duplicate push/pull) all th way up to the ceiling and delete the extra face it makes up there. but those structures are incredibly HUGE, and my next task is to create a template which will accurately give you the bounds of the map: i ran into some trouble with the large spiral staircase i made running off one edge and wrapping around and making errors.... I made the stairs about the same size, ot larger, as the level from Rubicon, Ascension Factor (and Descension Factor as well.. was that the level name?)

Also, added a boundaries template to the Primitives page to visually show the extents to which you can make your map.
Last edited by jessenator on Jan 29th '09, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.