VISUAL MODE

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
irons
Vidmaster

Guys, it's been a while in the making, but we finally have Visual Mode in Aleph One. Treellama and I slaved over making a Lua script that would do what Forge's visual mode does. So here's the result. Use it and abuse it, and hopefully Smithy and JUICE can team up with the script to stomp some serious maps. (By the way, Thermo's One Way was made without Forge, thanks to his program and VM-Lua!). Enjoy!

Oh, and there's a video tutorial coming soon.
Last edited by irons on Feb 2nd '10, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

Great stuff Irons! This will greatly help myself and other Intel based mappers! Thanks a bunch!
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
irons
Vidmaster

Thank Treellama as well; he added all the relevant stuff to A1's Lua API and he happened to clean up my messy Lua code while improving the script's interface.
Last edited by irons on Jul 1st '08, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

irons wrote:Thank Treellama as well; he added all the relevant stuff to A1's Lua API and he happened to clean up my messy Lua code while improving the script's interface.
I always have something to thank Treellama for!

Good stuff both of you!
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
irons
Vidmaster

Good luck with your mapping!
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, as of 20 minutes ago Smithy's svn copy got the ability to easily make maps that can be used with LVM; just pave the map before you save it.

Go wild, Internet.
dude, seriously. dude.
Missedisland
Cyborg

Great job you guys, works really nice. Takes away so much problems and endless crashes with Forge's Visual mode. And quite handy when you're testing a newly made map and notice some mistakes as well. I'm really looking forward to the full support for switches and terminals etc.

Btw, quick question: is it possible to sort of activate and deactivate the script in-game so you can play the map like a normal game and quickly dive into visual mode to texture things? I don't know anything about LUA really , sorry :P
Last edited by Missedisland on Jul 1st '08, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'll begin using this when control panels are available -- that plus Smithy would make a pretty good non-Mac tag team.
treellama
Vidmaster

Some more info, if you don't already read it:
http://blog.treellama.org/2008/07/visual-modelua.html

Tim: I suppose we could add a fourth mode, that lets your weapons and things work normally. I'm not sure I see the use, though?

Ryoko: Unfortunately we can't add control panels or transparent texturing without a new Aleph One release. Maybe for 0.21!
Last edited by treellama on Jul 1st '08, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Missedisland
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Some more info, if you don't already read it:
http://blog.treellama.org/2008/07/visual-modelua.html

Tim: I suppose we could add a fourth mode, that lets your weapons and things work normally. I'm not sure I see the use, though?

Ryoko: Unfortunately we can't add control panels or transparent texturing without a new Aleph One release. Maybe for 0.21!
Well, I could see myself trying out the flow of a singleplayer map and checking if there's enough ammo etc. and all of a sudden notice a tiny texture missing somewhere on a ledge. But I guess I could also just reload the map with the solo script enabled. :) And yeah transparant textures and support for terminals etc. would be a must to fully use this instead of Forge but I'm liking this already, it's really well made.
treellama
Vidmaster

Tim Vogel wrote:Well, I could see myself trying out the flow of a singleplayer map and checking if there's enough ammo etc. and all of a sudden notice a tiny texture missing somewhere on a ledge. But I guess I could also just reload the map with the solo script enabled. :)
Oh, I see. Yeah, for now, just reload the map. Take note of the polygon you're standing on before you do (with F10), and then you can teleport there easily using Visual Mode.lua's move mode.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

i guess im more of a lurker now than a mapper, but this is really fucking great and if i get a hankering to any mapping this will make my unwieldy style much more manageable. i want to get you a beer.
treellama
Vidmaster

screamingfool wrote:my unwieldy style
Your bad CLIQUE habits?
Alan
Cyborg

Yeah...umm...yeah... How do I turn on Visual Mode?
Ignorance creates the deluded.
Missedisland
Cyborg

Alan wrote:Yeah...umm...yeah... How do I turn on Visual Mode?
Ever considered at least taking a look at the "Read Me" file?
Alan
Cyborg

I did! It doesn't tell me how to turn it on. It just tells me how to use it after I turn it on.
irons
Vidmaster

ALL U GOTTA DO IS PUT THE FILES IN THE FILE OTHER FILE AND PLAY LOL
EZ AS THAT.
Alan
Cyborg

Put the files in the files other file...

What files go in what files and what other file?
irons
Vidmaster

As I promised earlier, here's the Tuterrible Tutorial. I forgot some important stuff until the end, so just keep watching. There's also some pretty dumb stuff on my part. Sorry the icons and such are hard to see. Thank Googal for making the video crappy.
treellama
Vidmaster

Alan wrote:I did! It doesn't tell me how to turn it on. It just tells me how to use it after I turn it on.
Quit trolling and GTFO of this thread
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

What's the limitation, and why wasn't functionality added into 0.20 if you were working on both projects concurrently anyway? :P

Right now it sounds really good as far as finishing touches for existing maps, though.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 1st '08, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Dodopod
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Tim: I suppose we could add a fourth mode, that lets your weapons and things work normally. I'm not sure I see the use, though?
Well, if it had this, co-op would be a lot more interesting. It could also be useful if you were trying to remix a single player map and enemies kept getting in the way.

I would also like to be able to place ammo, enemies, etc.
Counter Attack on the Meta
Alan
Cyborg

I'm not trolling! I just want to know how to turn Smithy on! Do I put the files in the
Scripts folder or in the
Alephone Folder or in
docs or in resources?

Or none of the above?

Also what do I click on to turn it on? I can't tell because I have never used ml files or TGA files before.
Last edited by Alan on Jul 1st '08, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:What's the limitation, and why wasn't functionality added into 0.20 if you were working on both projects concurrently anyway? :P
I didn't realize we couldn't do transparent sides until after 0.20 was released. Turns out, editors don't bother making sides for transparent lines if the ceiling/floor line up (makes sense). As for control panels, I didn't think it would be a deal-breaker, since Pfhorge can add them easily by line (and I assumed Smithy could pick that up easily enough), plus I don't know how easy it will be to configure them with only a handful of controls.

Based on this warm response, though, maybe I'll try to shoehorn this stuff into the engine quickly, for a patch release, if it will help you guys out.

Dodopod: I'll leave placement to the 2D editor guys, like it works in Forge. I want to keep the script as simple as possible.

As for switching between real co-op and visual mode, I don't think we will focus on that. Let the Co-op script do its thing well, and the Visual Mode script do its thing well, IMO.