VISUAL MODE

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Yeah, it probably saves the original map objects, since otherwise if you textured a map it would be full of monsters and items and stuff.
I take it '.save level xxx' is a macro which is built into the interpreter, so basically you would have to change the interpreter itself to add this functionality?

I mean, for any of this to really be of the kind of use I was hoping for, you would need to be able to change the xyz position of already placed objects with Lua, so that would mean an update to the interpreter anyway. You're right when you say that 2d placement of items and such is pretty much alright as it is, but in terms of precision placement of 3d stuff, that's where this would be useful, and since we can't really do that without being able to move stuff around in Lua, it's not really purposeful.

So really it's a matter of positioning, and saving that is the real issue, I guess. But that's up to you as for whether you want to mess with that stuff and put it in the next update.
Last edited by Kurinn on Jul 8th '09, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

It actually doesn't have anything to do with Lua, it's built into the engine itself. To alter initial placement would require a considerable amount of extra code in the engine, as well as many additions to the Lua API. All that just to make placing items a little easier?

It would be easier to modify Smithy to allow you to type in co-ordinates for items, or you could just use JUICE which already lets you do this.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It actually doesn't have anything to do with Lua, it's built into the engine itself. To alter initial placement would require a considerable amount of extra code in the engine, as well as many additions to the Lua API. All that just to make placing items a little easier?

It would be easier to modify Smithy to allow you to type in co-ordinates for items, or you could just use JUICE which already lets you do this.
Well, if it takes all that then why bother, I'll just use JUICE in that case.

Still, I think the idea of precision texture alignment has something to it though.
treellama
Vidmaster

Kurinn wrote:Still, I think the idea of precision texture alignment has something to it though.
Definitely.

Visual Mode.lua is GPL, you know :)
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Would it be much work to add this ability to MapEditorOne/Katana-Kaji? I know it uses JUICE for some things...maybe that would be an easier option, compared to adding the ability to Smithy?
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
treellama
Vidmaster

It's probably about the same amount of work. In one case you have to fight your way through the abomination that is UI programming in ocaml, and in the other, Java with Japanese comments :)
Last edited by treellama on Jul 8th '09, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

UNLESS YOU SPEEK JAPANESE!

but i dont, so im of no help
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It's probably about the same amount of work. In one case you have to fight your way through the abomination that is UI programming in ocaml, and in the other, Java with Japanese comments :)
Ah ha. I won't hold my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It's probably about the same amount of work. In one case you have to fight your way through the abomination that is UI programming in ocaml, and in the other, Java with Japanese comments :)
Shit, I'm already in Japan, I should just go find HogePiyo and picket outside his home until he agrees to implement everything I demand.
If he doesn't comply, I'll tell the old women at the local community organization that he's into some kind of super hardcore cat-ear schoolgirl fetish, and that he talks with Bridget about weird stuff like pantyhose sock puppets all day every day over the internet, using stolen WiFi, and, worst of all, he doesn't separate his garbage, and puts it outside a day earlier than he should. He'll get scowled at on his way to the train every morning, no doubt.

My understanding of the Japanese psyche tells me that he'll never be able to handle the strain of such harsh external disapproval of his conduct.

Of course I wouldn't do that to anyone. But if I would, it would be because all of that elaborate subterfuge sounds a lot easier than screwing around with any of this coding myself.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

hey, quick question, how do you use visual mode lua to place textures not in teh shapes file? Do i have to make an mml like kurinns, or is there a way with less code. I understand that all that would be required is a simple copy-paste-modification to his code, but i dont wanna make it if i dont have to.
D?rovací tvá?í.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

tehWastedJamacan wrote:...
Do i have to make an mml like kurinns,
Yes.

If you're doing one for set B, please upload it to Dropbox ;) .
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

hehe, i was doing this for my own maps, with my own textures, actually.
D?rovací tvá?í.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:
effigy wrote: When saving progress in VMLua, I still randomly get the message "An error occurred while saving the level" even though a file does get saved.
I suspect your filesystem is to blame here; you should only get that error if there's a problem writing to or renaming a file.
I think I can finally verify an issue with all 4 of the file systems I've been using VML on. I stopped leaving map files in /prefs/<user>/ since the quoted post above and haven't had trouble saving since.
treellama
Vidmaster

So, you were loading a map file from /prefs/<user>/ and then saving it back to the same location?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm pretty sure I had done that, yes. :( I suppose A1 doesn't work that way? Even so, should I have had problems texturing levelA.sceA and saving as levelB.sceA (to the same directory)....perhaps from trying to save levelA.sceA as levelA.sceA?

edit^
Last edited by effigy on Sep 14th '09, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

That happens to me on Windows. Alephone can't overwrite levelA.sceA because the old levelA.sceA is currently being used... by Alephone.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Would I be correct to assume this has nothing to do with Windows, and I was mistaken for thinking Aleph One could handle files that way?

For some reason I think having an old file of the same name in /prefs/<user>/ (with the map file loaded from another directory) has been a problem for me, also (see posts above mentioning ".save level now" and ".save level now please"); but I am sure it has been a problem to load "levelA.sceA" then ".save level levelB.sceA" in /prefs/<user>/.
treellama
Vidmaster

Linux and Mac OS X have no such ridiculous notion that you can't by default write to a file someone else has open for reading.

I'll see what I can do, the intended behavior is to store the map you're editing in your prefs directory, and overwrite it from inside Visual Mode. That's how I use it.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 14th '09, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Interesting. Thanks.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I tried out Visual Mode.lua last night for the first time, and I have to say I'm very impressed. You guys did an excellent job!

So far, the only feature I miss from Forge's visual mode is the ability to change floor/ceiling elevations by dragging. But I'm sure there's a good reason you guys can't do this yet. But otherwise, incredible work!
NXF
Cyborg

Allright, I was using Visual Mode to texture a map I made, and it would not let me undo textures I put in, switch what texture I was applying, and then it completely removed my HUD, which has not returned even when I tried to fiddle around with screen size/various controls/whether or not I was using the HUD. I checked the readme, and I could not find answers. Please help.
Dugit
Vidmaster

The "HUD" shows a sample of the texture you can apply at that moment. And there is a readme.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
treellama
Vidmaster

I believe you must disable any enhanced HUD before enabling Visual Mode.lua.
NXF
Cyborg

I read the readme, but my computer changed texture sets, not individual textures when I tried to change textures in the way described, and the undo did not work either (curse you Microsoft). The HUD works now, I found the problem.
treellama
Vidmaster

When you push the microphone key, the menus should change to reflect the new options. Does this happen? If not, try assigning a different microphone key--perhaps your keyboard is broken.