VISUAL MODE

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

Alan wrote:I just want to know how to turn Smithy on!
Smithy questions belong in this other thread: http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3123
Last edited by thermoplyae on Jul 1st '08, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

Treellama wrote:I didn't realize we couldn't do transparent sides until after 0.20 was released. Turns out, editors don't bother making sides for transparent lines if the ceiling/floor line up (makes sense). As for control panels, I didn't think it would be a deal-breaker, since Pfhorge can add them easily by line (and I assumed Smithy could pick that up easily enough), plus I don't know how easy it will be to configure them with only a handful of controls.

Based on this warm response, though, maybe I'll try to shoehorn this stuff into the engine quickly, for a patch release, if it will help you guys out.

Dodopod: I'll leave placement to the 2D editor guys, like it works in Forge. I want to keep the script as simple as possible.

As for switching between real co-op and visual mode, I don't think we will focus on that. Let the Co-op script do its thing well, and the Visual Mode script do its thing well, IMO.
I guess the hard part of adding terminals and switches and such is that some sort of control panel with settings should come up.
Though if this could be added together with the transparent textures this would be a full replacement for Forge's visual mode.

Btw, Excellent tutorial Irons.
Last edited by Missedisland on Jul 1st '08, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Visual Mode.lua 2.0 is on Simplici7y: http://67.96.53.196:3001/map/137/show

Changes:Improved targeting using Lua's double precision floating point mathAbility to create transparent texturesAbility to create and edit control panelsFixed co-opItem and monster suppressionWeapons-in-hand are disabled instead of being invisible
You must have the 7/7 release of Aleph One to use it.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 12th '08, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

2.0 works really, really well. I highly recommend it!
User avatar
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster
Posts: 3435
Joined: Jan 22nd '06, 18:56
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Contact:

This may very well be the crop that saves Jamestown. However, Pfhorge's draw mode is kinda not so greatl, but I guess I will live.
DeepThought
Cyborg
Posts: 149
Joined: Jan 17th '07, 14:07
Contact:

This is truely a masterpiece! I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
Image

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
User avatar
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 419
Joined: Apr 9th '07, 15:52
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Contact:

2.0 is quite a treat. It almost completely replaces Forge's visual mode. Great work!
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
User avatar
Lugas
Vidmaster
Posts: 834
Joined: Jun 12th '06, 20:40
Contact:

I've noticed that trying to use this in Marathon 2 causes A1 to "unexpectedly" quit. I'm guessing this is because M2 doesn't have Jjaro textures. Correct?

Edit: I am still grateful for all your hard work in making this a reality. Thank you!
Last edited by Lugas on Jul 29th '08, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Lugas wrote:I've noticed that trying to use this in Marathon 2 causes A1 to "unexpectedly" quit. I'm guessing this is because M2 doesn't have Jjaro textures. Correct?
I believe so, yes.

Simply open Visual Mode.lua in a text editor, and at the very top you can tell it which wall and landscape collections to use. Just remove the one that corresponds to Jjaro walls (it's 20 IIRC) from the list.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster
Posts: 1232
Joined: Jan 22nd '06, 18:27
Location: Lake Nebagamon, WI
Contact:

...

Um... I feel kinda out of the loop.
I'm in the same place as Alan here.

Yes I read the (GASP) read me.
It says: "== How do I use it? ==

In Aleph One, go to your Environment preferences, and check "Use Solo
Script". Pick Visual Mode.lua as your solo script. Now, choose the map
you want to texture. Start the game."

Problem #1: Environmental Preferences.
What does this even mean? Is it the "Environment" button in the game options?
Because I cant seem to select the LUA, or even find the means to do so from this location. I saw something scriptish in the "Gather Network Game" menu, but cant select the LUA there either.

Problem #2: Solo Script.
Honestly, it may be common knowledge to you, but not to me. What is a Solo Script and where would I pick Visual mode?
I don't even have the option to select a script in the Environment preferences.
A lot of the times it has something to do with where you put the file right? You need Marathon Maps in the same Aleph One folder or else the program cant find it when you try and select it in preferences.

I must have it in the wrong place. On Windows, where do you put the LUA?
Last edited by MoppyPuppy on Aug 20th '08, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

Update Aleph One.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster
Posts: 1232
Joined: Jan 22nd '06, 18:27
Location: Lake Nebagamon, WI
Contact:

RyokoTK wrote:Update Aleph One.
Works.
User avatar
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster
Posts: 1948
Joined: Jan 29th '06, 03:51
Contact:

MoppyPuppy wrote:I'm in the same place as Alan here.
If Alan is in the unlocked maintenance closet with you, why didn't you just ask him?
User avatar
irons
Vidmaster
Posts: 2651
Joined: Mar 1st '06, 20:44
Location: (.Y.)
Contact:

[attachment=1936:fatsam_leaveme.png]
Attachments
fatsam_leaveme.png
fatsam_leaveme.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster
Posts: 1232
Joined: Jan 22nd '06, 18:27
Location: Lake Nebagamon, WI
Contact:

W wrote:If Alan is in the unlocked maintenance closet with you, why didn't you just ask him?
Nobody gave him an answer.
He was simply accused of trolling and he never really did find out how to get it started.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

Hi, I've been using the Lua visual mode for quite a while now, and it works amazing except for 1 thing.

Because I rather use this for texturing instead of Forge for complex maps (that make forge's visual mode crash a lot) I usually only draw the map in Forge's draw mode, add items and whatnot to it and texture the entire map in AO with Visual mode lua. All walls are untextured this way and texturing goes fine overal in AO, except for some walls that somehow can't be textured. This bug only occurs on walls that are sides of poly's with a elevation from the ground up or from the ceiling never a real back wall of the map, those work fine always.

It's a bit hard to explain, but it would be great if this could be fixed, simply because this 'bug' forces me to use Forge again for those untexturable walls atleast.

I'm using both the latest version of Visual mode lua as well as Aleph One.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

The problem is actually with Forge's pave command (which I assume you are running). Sometimes it doesn't bother to create or texture sides. I've seen the problem a lot with platforms.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

Treellama wrote:The problem is actually with Forge's pave command (which I assume you are running). Sometimes it doesn't bother to create or texture sides. I've seen the problem a lot with platforms.
Ah, I didn't use Pave at all in Forge, now that I paved the map in Forge first it works fine so far. Thanks.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

I'm still having some problems, certain walls remain untextured after paving in Forge. And I can't fill/texture those with Visual mode lua. This seems to be only happening on walls that are split into 2 parts, like on windows where you need to click both above and below the window in Forge's visual mode in order to get the texture right. Would it be possible for you guys to let Lua Visual mode fill these somehow? Also walls that are very close to the far edge of the map can't be textured with Visual mode lua but can be textured with Forges visual mode. I'm getting the following error message in the top left of the screen:

[string "level_script"]:957: attempt to index field '_dragging' (a nil value)

It seems it's having to do with the dragging ability also because I can apply a control panel to that wall (they can't be dragged straight away).
It would be great to have these 2 issues fixed, because this makes it impossible to texture a 'blank' map without using Forge's visual mode.

Other than that, the lua visual mode works great!
Last edited by Missedisland on Sep 25th '08, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
$lave
Vidmaster
Posts: 2155
Joined: Jul 30th '07, 01:05
Contact:

Tim Vogel wrote:I'm still having some problems, certain walls remain untextured after paving in Forge. And I can't fill/texture those with Visual mode lua. This seems to be only happening on walls that are split into 2 parts, like on windows where you need to click both above and below the window in Forge's visual mode in order to get the texture right.
To fix this, go into forge and select the problematic lines, and set them all to "empty". After this, pave and save the map, and those lines should now be paved.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

$lave wrote:To fix this, go into forge and select the problematic lines, and set them all to "empty". After this, pave and save the map, and those lines should now be paved.
Thanks for the reply, but.. my map is a quite complex indoor area (1024 poly's precise), in order to get it fixed like you say, I have to go trough like a 100 lines... the reason why I would like to use Visual mode lua instead of Forge's visual mode in the first place is to get those 1024 poly's textured without crashing with every turn I make :)
Last edited by Missedisland on Sep 25th '08, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Read Slave's reply carefully--it shouldn't be necessary to use Forge's visual mode at all, so no worries about crashing. I haven't actually tried his suggestion, but it seems like it could work.
Missedisland
Cyborg
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 26th '07, 04:56
Contact:

Treellama wrote:Visual Mode.lua 2.0.2 can texture unpaved sides.
Awesome :) Thanks man!
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Treellama wrote:Visual Mode.lua 2.0.2 can texture unpaved sides.
There remain some problems with platforms that are not initially extended, as well as those broken sides Forge creates when you texture a map, then change a floor or ceiling height that would change the side type. These fixes require a new version of Aleph One (one that can change the type of sides, and one that uses the correct type when creating platform sides), so the script can't be fixed until after that happens.

In the mean time, Slave's approach of emptying the line, then paving the level, should fix things.
Last edited by treellama on Oct 13th '08, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply