VISUAL MODE

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
StoneClench
Cyborg

You can still drown :) (Being able to swim is pretty neat for testing too)

As for Co-op texturing, it works well but the game got a bit choppy from time to time, not sure if that was the script's fault though. The other person I was texturing with crashed after a while, causing his selected wall to constantly slide (I take it he was moving the texture at the time of the crash).

Could there be a way to toggle faders on/off in future? If that's possible it would make texturing submerged a bit nicer also.

Very good, takes a bit of getting used to but well worth it, things look good for the future =]
Coupled with smithy, forge will soon become obsolete.
Last edited by StoneClench on Nov 15th '08, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Is there a way to change the path where it saves your maps?
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
treellama
Vidmaster

No, that's not part of Visual Mode.lua, it's built into the engine.
treellama
Vidmaster

Visual Mode.lua 2.0.3 should fix remaining platform and untextured side issues.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Zephyrus wrote:You can still drown :) (Being able to swim is pretty neat for testing too)

As for Co-op texturing, it works well but the game got a bit choppy from time to time, not sure if that was the script's fault though. The other person I was texturing with crashed after a while, causing his selected wall to constantly slide (I take it he was moving the texture at the time of the crash).

Could there be a way to toggle faders on/off in future? If that's possible it would make texturing submerged a bit nicer also.

Very good, takes a bit of getting used to but well worth it, things look good for the future =]
Coupled with smithy, forge will soon become obsolete.
No! Not me beautiful Forge! I promised to be with you in sickness and in health, in good emulators and bad!
[MFrown]

(In all actuality, it's great work you guys are doing here. Finally people of all OS's can enjoy in map building.)
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I tried this last night, and while holding the mic key and then changing weapons aleph crashed for me, consistantly. I didn't see any info in my Log.txt, nor sdterr.txt(which was present and containing 0bytes), but stdout.txt left a message about SDL. Also, Windows reports a problem with "alephone.exe" when it crashes.

I was able to use copy to retexture. FYI.
Last edited by effigy on Jan 19th '09, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
treellama
Vidmaster

effigy wrote:I tried this last night, and while holding the mic key and then changing weapons aleph crashed for me, consistantly. I didn't see any info in my Log.txt, nor sdterr.txt(which was present and containing 0bytes), but stdout.txt left a message about SDL. Also, Windows reports a problem with "alephone.exe" when it crashes.

I was able to use copy to retexture. FYI.
Does it work for you in software mode?

I've seen the landscapes give integrated video cards trouble, because they use a lot of VRAM.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm now at a different computer, but in software mode, here, I'm noticing it doesn't crash until I try to move to a certain texture set. Going forward I can't go past the Lh'owon(?) set, and going previous I crash trying to go past the pfhor craft set.

Do you want me to post the contents of my AlephOne.RPT? stderr.txt continues to be produced with 0 bytes. Alpeh One Log.txt has blank entries.

Also, the graphics card on the machine from last night is a GeForce 5600 XT with 256 mb of ram. Today I'm on a Quadro NVS 285 with 128 megs.
treellama
Vidmaster

You can post Aleph One RPT if you like (maybe better to file a SourceForge bug, I guess)

I haven't seen any Visual Mode crashes in software mode yet. I will try my windows machine and see if it crashes there. In the meantime, you can play around with which sets (and landscapes) are available by editing the top part of Visual Mode.lua in a text editor. Perhaps restricting it to the sets you want will help, dunno.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I verified the problem in software mode on PC1 last night. Like you said, I was able to remove textures (i took out all landscapes) and there was no crash.

I have another problem, though. I can change texture sets, but how can I change the current texture in a given set, aside from using "copy."
Last edited by effigy on Jan 20th '09, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

OK, so it seems landscapes are causing the crash?

To switch textures it is mic+primary and mic+secondary, IIRC. The icons on the top should have all the info you need, look for texture+ and texture-
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

You do, thanks, and sorry, not sure how I missed that.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I hate to get in the habit of filing incomplete bugs on SourceForge, so I've attached to this post the stderr.txt in a 7-Zip zip. I had assumed the stderr.txt is useless, but after downloading the sample .mml .sit and discovering almost it's entire contents are 0 byte files I thought it was possible that only a Mac or Linux user could read it. It's an empty file on my WinXP computers. It's my understanding that this file should be deleted by Aleph if it's empty, but it's not...so, one more reason to post it, i guess.

Maybe for this purpose I should have used Stuffit?

EDIT: Oh, and I meant to ask how would you feel about linking iron's video tutorial to the Simplici7y page and/or the Readme?
Attachments
stderr.zip
(118 Bytes) Downloaded 135 times
Last edited by effigy on Jan 21st '09, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

effigy wrote:I had assumed the stderr.txt is useless
It is useless if it is empty. Empty text files are empty text files.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It is useless if it is empty. Empty text files are empty text files.
Is it empty for you?

EDIT: Link to the page that has the empty sample (Example) .mml files I refered too.
Last edited by effigy on Jan 21st '09, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

I didn't download it, because zipping an empty file and uploading it isn't going to make it suddenly contain text!
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Granted. I was trying to test the theory that the file has text but my OS (Windows XP) can't print it.

Anyhow, I'll stay out of this thread with that crap.
treellama
Vidmaster

effigy wrote:I was trying to test the theory that the file has text but my OS (Windows XP) can't print it.
That would only happen for non-text files generated on the Mac, that have resources but no data, and then moved the file with ftp or something that doesn't understand resource forks. If you generate a file in Windows (or Linux) and it is empty, it is truly empty--Windows has no resource forks.
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you install this debug version: http://treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20081226-debug.zip

And generate a new crash report with that, and send it to me?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sorry for the delay.

Keep your eyes peeled.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I gots a problem. I am attempting to texture the last 6 sides of my 1069 polygon map, but I get this error:

[attachment=2422:error.jpg]

I am using the latest version of VML, I have both the lua and mml installed. I am using a map file that was exported by the version of VML that was unable to texture unpaved sides. This error comes up on all sides. I can copy and stuff just fine, but I can't apply anything. My A1 is 0.20.1 and worked fine with the previous version.

The door wasn't an actual door because I ran out of platforms and Pfhorge wouldn't let me have more than 64.

Pfhorge seems unable to texture the final sides I need, and Forge won't load the map in visual mode.
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jan 30th '09, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

It says in big letters on Simplici7y.com, in Version Notes: "Requires Aleph One 0.21"

Think that could be your problem?
Last edited by treellama on Jan 30th '09, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I consistently get the following message when attempting to use the Rubicon shapes:

Code: Select all

vhalt OGL_Textures.cpp:1374: Assertion failed: GlowBuffer || (GlowImage.get() && GlowImage.get()->IsPresent())
I'm not certain what causes it as far as my actions in the level. To me it seemed to be random, except that it would occur within approximately 30 seconds.

I have yet to receive this message when Aleph is in software mode.
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you save a film? Post the bug to SourceForge?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I can after a few hours from now.