best map making utility for OS X?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Hello Marathoners,

I'm a little rusty off the edge here, and I haven't delved into map making in YEARS.
I want to know what people would recommend to be the current best map making utility out there.

Back when I started doing it, I used forge which came with Marathon Infinity. For a while it was pretty much standard.

I understand that Bungie since has lost the source code for that program, and thus a port to the intel machines weren't possible.

Now I noticed that before the advent of Force and Anvil, there was another program called Pfhorte that people used to make M1 and M2 maps and scenarios.
Years ago when I asked about an intel version of Forge someone recommended I use Pfhorte instead (if my memory serves me correct).

I read that there's another program called Pfhorge, which was supposed to carry the torch to the Intel Machines, but I couldn't find much information about it.

In the Pfhorum FAQ, it mentioned this program called Weland, which isn't complete, and to compensate for the loss of the visual mode in Forge, a program called Visual Mode.lua made available.

I know that there's probably countless other map editing tools out there, but I want to know what you think the best out there for the OS X is?

thanks
-rising_robot
Zott
Vidmaster

Well, I personally still like Forge, because it is quick to go from texturing to mapping all in one package,

BUT

Weland IS "finished" and is very similar to Forge in everything except no visual mode, so it would probably be best to use that.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/weland/

Besides those two, I probably wouldn't spend my time learning or using any of the others unless you have a specific reason/feature you want from them.

Here's a list of additional tools available:
http://source.bungie.org/wiki/index.php/Utilities
Last edited by Zott on Jan 19th '10, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
treellama
Vidmaster

FAQ should be updated, Weland is pretty complete. It's the best mapmaking utility for any OS besides classic Mac OS.
Last edited by treellama on Jan 19th '10, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

well now I think I got my answer :D

maybe someone should upload weland videos to youtube

and update the FAQ by now too
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
riserobotrise
Cyborg

no, I was talking youtube vids for weland
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

They are almost exactly alike. You will now be laughed at, but not by me.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:They are almost exactly alike. You will now be laughed at, but not by me.
"This is Envy, do you copy, CLIQUE? Over."
"This is CLIQUE, go ahead Envy."
"You now have clearance to troll target: riserobotrise. Repeat, trolling on target is 'go.' Over."
"Roger, Envy. Over and out."

But yeah, the Forge tutorials (as well as the Forge manual that you can find in the Infinity manual on http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/ ) will be enough to get you on the right foot.
ellio7t
Cyborg

Its all about Vulcan.

Cause 10.3 wont let me use weland.
words
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

ellio7t wrote:Its all about Vulcan.

Cause 10.3 wont let me use weland.
Same... but when i get a new machine I won't be able to run Forge without an emulator. I still think forge is best, Even if it crashes for no reason sometimes :S.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

keep the old one...?
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.