Fishman92's Question Thread

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can you put both at the start of each level, and if so, what order are they played in?
Last edited by Fishman92 on Feb 6th '10, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Movie, then chapter screen
Ok thanks for that.. that seems a bit illogical- surely you'd want to see the chapter screen first then the movie?
Dugit
Vidmaster

Why would you need both?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:Why would you need both?
Well you'd have a chapter screen show, then maybe a movie as an intro to that particular level, but as treellama said, it's the other way round..
Last edited by Fishman92 on Jan 26th '10, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Or you could have the chapter screen as part of the movie.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was digging around in forges resource forks, and found there was stuff in there implieing you can use custom physics models in forge. Weird, because there's no option for custom physics while using forge. Can you use custom physics models in forge and if so how?
Zott
Vidmaster

I don't know of a way.

Even if there was a way, I'm not quite sure what you'd need it for. There are no monsters to interact with, nor any items to pickup. I suppose its only use would be to change the speed and viewing angles of the marine, but they seem like they would have minor benefit.

If you just want to change the look of textures and objects in Forge, You can change the shapes you use in Forge by simply replacing the shapes file in the forge directory. This would let you see the new scenery you added in, for example.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
irons
Vidmaster

It's not like you can use Visual Mode Lua with custom physics or anything.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:It's not like you can use Visual Mode Lua with custom physics or anything.
Low gravity VML! Woo!
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:It's not like you can use Visual Mode Lua with custom physics or anything.
One problem: I really hate using VML. It's just sooo slooowwwwww so i don't use it, unless i really have to.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:One problem: I really hate using VML. It's just sooo slooowwwwww so i don't use it, unless i really have to.
Is it?

Plus, it allows multiset texturing, so quit whining. I'd use VML over Forge VM any day.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

It's not whining, it is an expression of opinion.
Oh i am going to hate having to run forge through an emulator on a new comp :(. I will miss its easily accesble vm that i don't have to run aleph one to use....
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've had an idea... may be stupid.. but never mind!
First you make a map, then make, say, a room you wanted blue-ish. Then set up a blue fader and set it to tint. Then, using lua, make a script so that when someone walks onto a certain poly, his screen is tinted blue, giving the effects of coloured lighting.

It probably wouldn't work, but hey, it's worth a try!
Dugit
Vidmaster

Since a level without differing volumes of fog in different places isn't possible, then I doubt that this is possible. But who knows? Is it?
Last edited by Dugit on Feb 5th '10, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Well, the closest anyone has come to something like this is Rubi's Hex Level 73. Try looking at that for inspiration.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:Since a level without differing volumes of fog in different places, then I doubt that this is possible. But who knows? Does it?
Sorry, your grammar confused me for a second. But I thought it over and I know what you're talking about.

I'd say you won't know until you find out, but basically you're going to have to set it up so that you can't see any of the "blue room" until the player is actually there.

Using separate lights for the room and only activating them as the fader is applied might work out.

I think a cool use for this might involve emergency backup lighting. Like, if all of the lights flicker out and then come back on with a red fader.
goran
Vidmaster

fader and fog is not the same thing right?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Goran wrote:fader and fog is not the same thing right?
Right. Faders are when your screen flashes up in a certain color when you get hit. Fog is... well, fog.

This would work, sort of, but you'd have the same problems as that other guy had with fog: you won't be able to see that the area is blue from a distance. Plus I think it would look really horrible.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kurinn wrote:I think a cool use for this might involve emergency backup lighting. Like, if all of the lights flicker out and then come back on with a red fader.
That's kinda what I was thinking.
QUOTE(RyokoTK)This would work, sort of, but you'd have the same problems as that other guy had with fog: you won't be able to see that the area is blue from a distance[/quote]
Yeah, I'm guessing this is the only limitation... but I guesss it's worth a try. First stop- learn lua!
treellama
Vidmaster

Isn't it easy to see what this would look like? Just jump in some lava.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 5th '10, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Isn't it easy to see what this would look like? Just jump in some lava.
What an idea!
Change the lava fader with mml, and just fill the room with lava when a switch is hit!
:D
Dugit
Vidmaster

And make sure the lava won't kill you.

Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:And make sure the lava won't kill you.
Yeah, that too.
goran
Vidmaster

and disable swimming