Basilisk II install instructions

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Hey, I'm running Mac OS X 10.4 with an intel core duo chip, so obviously I need to run an emulator to do all my older mac stuff.

I was looking into sheepshaver, but I decided to give Basilisk II a try, I prefer to run some of the very old programs from the late 80s and early 90's as well as my marathon stuff.

What I have so far is the 512 mac classic rom (actually, I have them all, starting from 68k up to 1 mg) needed to run the emulator, and OS 7.5.

I'm a little confused on the install instructions so far.

the install text file says
Depending on the platform you use, Basilisk II has additional requirements:
Unix:
You need X11R6 and a "make" utility with the VPATH feature (e.g. GNU make).
For serial, ethernet and audio support, you need pthreads. To use the GUI
preferences editor, you also need GTK+ version 1.2 or better.

Installation
------------
Unix:
To compile Basilisk II, do the following:

cd src/Unix
./configure
make [or "gmake" if you have GNU make and "make" fails]make install [optionally]

To use Ethernet networking under Linux, you either have to configure your
kernel for ethertap support or make and install the "sheep_net" driver:

make modules
I'm sure I have all the requirements to do all of that stuff, considering that Basilisk II is from 2002, and the fact that I have installed and compiled programs via the Mac/Unix terminal on my computer.

but the cd src/unix command, it won't read, perhaps its because the instructions were specifically made for unix, and not for apple.

any help is appreciated
thanks
- rise robot rise
Last edited by riserobotrise on Jan 25th '10, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Don't compile it yourself, get the pre-compiled version.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5887

It includes a GUI to configure it.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Don't compile it yourself, get the pre-compiled version.
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5887

It includes a GUI to configure it.
sweet, thank you very much

emulation seems to run kinda slow, but I'm getting the hang of it, I'll try out different roms, see what works.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

there's not enough memory to make marathon a pleasant game to run. Gameplay is kinda klunky

is there anyway I can add more memory to the emulator?

right now I'm running Basilisk II with mac os 7.5.5 installed, and a 1 mg Mac LC III rom.

again, any help is appreciated.
goran
Vidmaster

I never got marathon to run well on my 68k mac back in the days. The processor of the 68k is slow (33hz). I'd go with sheepsaver anyday for marathon editing. It is much more speedy.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Goran wrote:I never got marathon to run well on my 68k mac back in the days. The processor of the 68k is slow (33hz). I'd go with sheepsaver anyday for marathon editing. It is much more speedy.
yeah, I'm beginning to reconsider basilisk II and go for sheepshaver instead. I'm beginning to recall playing Marathon on a Macintosh Performa, and not seeing it run very well, and then seeing it run perfectly on a power macintosh. Although I can't seem to find the sheepshaver application atm right now...

** edit **

I just found a place to download sheepshaver. I got it all running up again. Marathon (I'm talking about Marathon One) doesn't seem to be running the way it should be running. The sound is a little glitchy, and the program crashes when I try to save a game.
Last edited by riserobotrise on Jan 26th '10, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Basilisk II should be much faster than a real 68k, depending on your processor. It shouldn't have trouble running any of the Marathon games. You can increase Basilisk II's memory allocation on the Memory/Misc tab of the GUI. I assume you already know how to increase the memory allocation of apps inside the emulator.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Basilisk II should be much faster than a real 68k, depending on your processor. It shouldn't have trouble running any of the Marathon games. You can increase Basilisk II's memory allocation on the Memory/Misc tab of the GUI. I assume you already know how to increase the memory allocation of apps inside the emulator.
oh, I already swiched to sheepshaver, but I still have basilsk II up.

I didn't know there was a away to give it more memory. Do I have to look in the gui thing?
goran
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:oh, I already swiched to sheepshaver, but I still have basilsk II up.

I didn't know there was a away to give it more memory. Do I have to look in the gui thing?
There's a memory tab in the gui for both basilisk and sheepsaver.
CryoS
Vidmaster

first off you set the amount of memory you want the emulator to use (via the tab).

then inside the emulater enviroment you can set how much memory an app will get. IIRC you select the app you want to increase the memory for, then you go to one of the menus at the top of your screen and choose "get info" or something simmilar. here you can increase the amount of memory for the app you selected.

Its been a while since i had to use an emulator, so i may be completly wrong about some of the things i just said.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?