M1 Low Grav vs M2 Low Grav

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

hey, I was playing M1A1 on the level "pfhor your eyes only" and I remember using the alien weapon or the flamethrower to "fly" essentially in Marathon 1. I think the Marathon 2 engine or physics doesn't allow for it (perhaps M2 levels would've been less challenging)

is there an editor to help with this?
Does lua, or the physics model editor allow the flamethrower and alien weapon make you able to fly?
Last edited by riserobotrise on Jan 30th '10, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

You could easily beef up the kickback on the flamethrower using Anvil. A lot of people don't know that any PPC mac already has os9, so do you have a PPC mac? Anvil only runs on os9.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Why not run Physics Editor J? I've found it good to use on OSX.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
CryoS
Vidmaster

correction envy, it runs from 7.5.5 to 9.
Last edited by CryoS on Jan 30th '10, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Swe Mussolini wrote:correction envy, it runs from 7.5.5 to 9.
interesting, I was worried that might not be the case.

the M1A1 physics do not allow for it, and on pfhor levels, it was a huge disappointment.

Also, this isn't an editor related question, but the low gravity in Marathon 1 seemed a little more significant (it felt like I could 'feel' the effects of it) rather than M2. The Low gravity there didn't seem to be quite as significant.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I read somewhere M1A1 team actually made some modifications on a few maps to circumvent engine differences, especially regarding grenade hoping and low grav/flamethrower issues. As an example, in the low grav level with goo floor, "23 Ain't Got Time Pfhor This", the 2x recharger is accessible using a goo "water"fall
Last edited by Vladtepes on Feb 1st '10, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
riserobotrise
Cyborg

VladTepes wrote:I read somewhere M1A1 team actually made some modifications on a few maps to circumvent engine differences, especially regarding grenade hoping and low grav/flamethrower issues. As an example, in the low grav level with goo floor, "23 Ain't Got Time Pfhor This", the 2x recharger is accessible using a good "water"fall
I don't get it.

also, I was playing M1A1, and the flamethrower/alien weapon trick doesn't work
Vladtepes
Cyborg

My typo error may have been confusing...

In M1A1 using Flamethrower/alien weapon to fly on low gravity levels and the grenade hopping trick do not work. However the M1A1 team made changes on the map in order to keep the secrets or some map features (like the recharger I am talking about) accessible anyway. You should not need any "patch" to play M1A1.

As envy pointed out, it is possible to make some physic files tweaking flamethrower and/or alien shotgun so you can fly with them. Actually, if I remember correctly M2 and M? had such files given on the game CD-ROM.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
riserobotrise
Cyborg

VladTepes wrote:My typo error may have been confusing...

In M1A1 using Flamethrower/alien weapon to fly on low gravity levels and the grenade hopping trick do not work. However the M1A1 team made changes on the map in order to keep the secrets or some map features (like the recharger I am talking about) accessible anyway. You should not need any "patch" to play M1A1.

As envy pointed out, it is possible to make some physic files tweaking flamethrower and/or alien shotgun so you can fly with them. Actually, if I remember correctly M2 and M? had such files given on the game CD-ROM.
oh okay, thanks for the clarification. I noticed this with some maps already.

I think the physics model modification is the best way to approach this, but there is still a problem with low grav levels in the M2/Minf is that its not "low" enough. The rate of fall in the M2 maps are greater, and the player doesn't glide as much over ledges like they would in the first marathon.

Maybe a physics model modification could fix this, but I wouldn't know. Its been more than 11 or 12 years since I last looked at a Marathon physics model.