RiseRobotRise's M1A1 Thread

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
irons
Vidmaster

I made this thread for riserobotrise. Here he can repeatedly remind us that, yes, M1A1 is running on a different engine from M1 and therefore might even not be exactly the same as M1. He can also ask questions about making changes to M1A1, generally for the purpose of making it exactly like M1, whose answers he would probably find more easily by firing up the old editing tools. I hope he sees this thread when he wakes up from his recurring nightmare of playing M1A1 and discovering that there are things about it unlike M1.

ironsironsirons,
-irons
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
interion
Cyborg

I know they redrew the HUD, which was kind of lame, and removed all the music, but otherwise, M1 and M2 were basically the same engine weren't they? And M1A1 just restored the ending of PiD from the Marathon beta maps and fixed that stupid platform puzzle. Were they any other differences?
Image Image
irons
Vidmaster

All of this is a problem. How could they even dream of making low gravity different in M2? HOW?
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
irons
Vidmaster

WHY IS THIS NOT A POLL
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Tim wrote:I know they redrew the HUD, which was kind of lame, and removed all the music, but otherwise, M1 and M2 were basically the same engine weren't they? And M1A1 just restored the ending of PiD from the Marathon beta maps and fixed that stupid platform puzzle. Were they any other differences?
I acutally really like what they did to the HUD in M1A1, they kept it kinda classic. it looks nice.

but since nobody answered my last question, I'm going to ask it here again

How do I get rid of player sounds when they die? Yes I checked anvil and I checked physics editor one both of them are set to no sound:

also, I couldn't find out where I can toggle hard death/normal death on any of the creatures.

I promise, this is the last M1A1 question that I have

thanks
-rrr
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Shapes sequences also have sounds attached to them internally. It's not all in the physics. I'm told ShapeFusion doesn't show them, so you'll need to check Anvil.

And if you want a monster to not have a hard death or a soft death, set whichever you don't want to use sequence "-1" in the physics. If you want to change what causes a hard death instead of a soft death, check or uncheck what the monster is weak to.

For the record I also dislike that M1A1 was not as faithful as it could have been, though obviously it can be forgiven where exact faithfulness was impossible (such as the HUD).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Feb 3rd '10, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Pfhorrest wrote:Shapes sequences also have sounds attached to them internally. It's not all in the physics. I'm told ShapeFusion doesn't show them, so you'll need to check Anvil.

And if you want a monster to not have a hard death or a soft death, set whichever you don't want to use sequence "-1" in the physics. If you want to change what causes a hard death instead of a soft death, check or uncheck what the monster is weak to.

For the record I also dislike that M1A1 was not as faithful as it could have been, though obviously it can be forgiven where exact faithfulness was impossible (such as the HUD).
okay, thank you.

As you can see, I looked at the files in anvil, and all the player sounds are set to "none"

perhaps that information is stored in the sound file?

Also is there a way I can open .phyA files in anvil?

When I get back home later, I'll have to look into it further.

The anvil manual doesn't go into far into depth which is why I'm grateful of the balloons that were added in.
irons
Vidmaster

You show us you've checked the physics file using Anvil, but Pfhorrest is telling you to check the Shapes file. Did you look there?
riserobotrise
Cyborg

irons wrote:You show us you've checked the physics file using Anvil, but Pfhorrest is telling you to check the Shapes file. Did you look there?
no, I'm currently in the process of trying to find a shapes file that isn't in the .shpA file format.
Anvil will not read those.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:no, I'm currently in the process of trying to find a shapes file that isn't in the .shpA file format.
All the .xxxA formats are the same as their .xxx2 or .xxx? equivalents as far as Anvil cares, just rename them and it should work.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:All the .xxxA formats are the same as their .xxx2 or .xxx? equivalents as far as Anvil cares, just rename them and it should work.
You may actually need to edit the creator and file type in Resedit.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

riserobotrise wrote:no, I'm currently in the process of trying to find a shapes file that isn't in the .shpA file format.
If you're on a mac, downloading the A1 file typers works, I often have to use them.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:If you're on a mac, downloading the A1 file typers works, I often have to use them.
hmmm, I'll have to check that out!
Pfhorrest wrote:Shapes sequences also have sounds attached to them internally. It's not all in the physics. I'm told ShapeFusion doesn't show them, so you'll need to check Anvil.

nice
okay so, I fixed the problems with the bobs
I had to raise their vitality and take out their weaknesses in the anvil physics model editor.
Also when I ran the first Marathon (no pun intended, hur hur) I noticed that the civilians had a higher vitality (i.e they could take a single bullet shot, I wish I could do that)
raising the vitality also seemed to alleviate that as well.

2nd thing, I went into the shapes editor via anvil, and found the Marine hard death and soft death sequences and changed it there as shown in the pic below, and for some reason that didn't seem to remedy the problem.

Was that the correct place to do it? I couldn't find out another place to change this.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:For the record I also dislike that M1A1 was not as faithful as it could have been, though obviously it can be forgiven where exact faithfulness was impossible (such as the HUD).
There is nothing stopping us from making a more faithful Marathon port. It's even possible to bring back the old HUD now with enhanced HUD Lua. It just can't have anything to do with REB's M1A1, which we do not have permission to modify and redistribute.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 3rd '10, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:There is nothing stopping us from making a more faithful Marathon port. It's even possible to bring back the old HUD now with enhanced HUD Lua. It just can't have anything to do with REB's M1A1, which we do not have permission to modify and redistribute.
wow, I would really like to see a new hud like that, and see how it would look under enhanced textures, but I still prefer the m1a1 hud. I really like what they did. I'm pretty sure someone could work up a lua script and then tell people to put in in their scripts folder.

I still can't figure out how the silence the player when he/she dies.

I just about turned all the options to silent on the marine with anvil (in both the shapes and the physics) and it still makes a sound.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Did Anvil save the shapes file properly? Some things in Anvil cause it not to consider some changes save-worthy, from my experience.

Apparently the answer actually lies in the MML, the player reacts differently to different kinds of damage, so he sounds like he suffocates when he runs out of air, or he screams when he gets fried. The stuff you need is somewhere in the <player> element of the guide.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Feb 4th '10, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Shadowbreaker wrote:Did Anvil save the shapes file properly? Some things in Anvil cause it not to consider some changes save-worthy, from my experience.

Apparently the answer actually lies in the MML, the player reacts differently to different kinds of damage, so he sounds like he suffocates when he runs out of air, or he screams when he gets fried. The stuff you need is somewhere in the <player> element of the guide.
thanks man

I see in the guide
The responses to various kinds of damage can be set with an element of <damage>, which has attributes:
death_sound: Death sound to make.
I tried several combination already and thus far I've been unsuccessful.

how do I eliminate the 'scream' sound for soft death for instance?

thanks
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

riserobotrise wrote:thanks man

I see in the guide
I tried several combination already and thus far I've been unsuccessful.
how do I eliminate the 'scream' sound for soft death for instance?

thanks
I'd look in the sound tag of mml, and disable them by giving them a 'which' or whatever it is of -1, that's how i made silent liquids :D
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:I'd look in the sound tag of mml, and disable them by giving them a 'which' or whatever it is of -1, that's how i made silent liquids :D
yeah but wouldn't have eliminate that sound altogether? I still want bobs to scream when they die, just not the player.