How do I make Bobs attack the player?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Sasmaster
Born on Board

I'm trying to make a level where Bobs are the enemy... but I'm not quite sure how to make them hostile against the player from the start of the map. Any help on this one? I'm using Weland.
Dugit
Vidmaster

You need a physics editor. You could use Anvil, but that's only for Classic. I suggest PhysicsEditorOneJ. This applies to both:

Go to "Action", and deselect Player as friend and select Player as enemy. There.
Do not check the 'Alien' flag.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
goran
Vidmaster

You need a custom physics file to do that. Use a physics editor of choice and edit the bob monster. Look around a little. It should be pretty straight forward. There are checkboxes which decide what is a friend and enemy. Check the player as enemy and that's it.

Save the physics file and select it in A1's preferences before you play your map.
Sasmaster
Born on Board

Cool, thanks. And one more thing, how do I get lights to flicker and actually look good?
goran
Vidmaster

Here's an example you can play around with.

Primary Active
Function: constant
Period: 2
Intensity: 100

Secondary Active
Function: constant
Period: 2
Intensity: 50
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

You should just go to http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/ and read or watch the Forge Tutorials (text version's in the Marathon Infinity manual). Lighting is tutorial 3.
Sasmaster
Born on Board

Well I've got a few more questions up my sleeve here....

1. How do I make a locked door? (Sounds stupid but I can't seem to get it to work right)
2. How do I make it only activated by a switch?
3. How do I make said switch inactive until uplink chip is found?
4. How can I make the pistol automatic?
Dugit
Vidmaster

1) Uncheck 'Activated By': 'Player' and 'Aliens', unless you want aliens to be able to activate it.
2) Make a switch pertaining to the door in (1).
3) Do you want an uplink slot (in which case, all you need is a chip and the slot, pertaining to the door in (1)), or do you want the switch to activate when the chip is found (which is more complicated- place the chip on a polygon 'Light On Trigger', pertaining to the custom light you have on the switch, which must be 'Light Dependant' (before activation it must be a very low light and after it must be a higher one))

I've never tried custom lights before, but just experiment and I'm sure you'll find your footing, like I plan to do someday. :)

EDIT: 4) pfff. haven't a clue really. try experimenting in a physics editor.
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 29th '10, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

treellama
Vidmaster

Ton wrote:4. How can I make the pistol automatic?
What, the magnum in Marathon IS automatic.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I think he means fast firing.

Edit: @Ton: You mean, like the .33 Mercury out of Red or the IMP from TGI and Phoenix?
Last edited by Dugit on Jul 29th '10, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:What, the magnum in Marathon IS automatic.
Yeah, better question: how do you make any weapon in Marathon *not* automatic? In Eternal X Omega I want to replace the Grav Blades with an old-fashioned blunderbus that you have to manually reload with ball and powder each shot. (Chapter 5 is too easy as it is).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Yeah, better question: how do you make any weapon in Marathon *not* automatic? In Eternal X Omega I want to replace the Grav Blades with an old-fashioned blunderbus that you have to manually reload with ball and powder each shot. (Chapter 5 is too easy as it is).
I believe you would have to use Lua for this currently.
Sasmaster
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:What, the magnum in Marathon IS automatic.

Well the hope is to make it shoot like the assault rifle while still keeping the animations of the magnum. Every time I make it fire like the AR, it ends up looking like the AR while firing and the magnum when idle.
treellama
Vidmaster

So you want to make it fire fast, but use a slow animation?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

It works with a hi-tech recoiling postponer.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
goran
Vidmaster

Ton wrote:Well the hope is to make it shoot like the assault rifle while still keeping the animations of the magnum. Every time I make it fire like the AR, it ends up looking like the AR while firing and the magnum when idle.
Set the recovery ticks to 0 in the triggers tab.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Apologies if you already know this, but the speed you can fire a weapon is limited by the speed of the animation used. You can't go faster than that without using a different animation or changing the Shapes file.
Sasmaster
Born on Board

The problem I'm facing is that despite the fact that I have a Sph't card key and a slot for it... the slot still activates without the key card! I'm not entirely sure how to change this...
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

You probably placed the chip slot texture without actually designating it as an uplink slot.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Sasmaster
Born on Board

Dis wrote:You probably placed the chip slot texture without actually designating it as an uplink slot.
How do I do that in visual mode?
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ton wrote:How do I do that in visual mode?

when you place the key slot texture, it will give you a description of what type of button/switch it is, you can cycle through them till you see the one you desire.
"Escape will make me God"