Jjaro Bump Maps

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:My priority is to create bump maps that work well with the original textures. But if Goran is interested in collaborating, and if our Jjaro textures and bump maps look good together, then I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. But since he has mentioned the possibility of creating his own bump maps, then personally, I would be curious to see how his would differ from mine. Wouldn't a choice between two sets of bump maps be better than one?
If that happens, then sure. And I don't doubt you both have the best of intentions in finishing your respective works. But I've seen far too much vaporware and half-finished projects in my years following modding communities, coming from even the most dedicated and hard-working people. That's the biggest reason I recommend consolidation in the case where two people are working on overlapping projects at the same time.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've completed all 35 bump maps. All that remains before posting the complete set is to create a second set of bump maps with less contrast, thereby decreasing depth in the channels and indentations, since that's what some of you prefer.

For this second set, I've created a series of plugins ranging from 10% to 100% depth so that those of you who would like to help can try them and tell me which one you like best.

[attachment=4483:Jjaro_Bu...th_Range.zip]

I also have a question regarding format. Currently, all textures are png, and all bump maps are dds. Since I'm using textures that are only 128x128 pixels, would there be any point in converting them into the dds format?

Edit: Fixed incorrect file name in Read Me.
Attachments
Jjaro_Bump_Maps___Depth_Range.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Dec 20th '10, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Is it possible to bumpmap sprites and players and things? That could be a nice alternative for full 3d scenery.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Zott
Vidmaster

Is it possible to bumpmap sprites and players and things? That could be a nice alternative for full 3d scenery.
It is possible to bumpmap 3D models but not for sprites and players.

If you think of way the effect works it makes sense. [Unless the way it makes sense for me is not correct] You can bumpmap a wall because it is projected onto a 3D object, and is viewable from many different angles, and so the light source hits it differently, showing the roughness. (Since the player is the dynamic light source, the player is doing the manipulations)
When it comes to sprites, they correspond to one view, or more precisely, only show one sprite for many angles, 45° for a 8 view monster. Since the sprite will always face the player and is flat, any bump map would only be viewed at that one view, one light.

Now if the player sprites stopped facing the player all the time, then it might be possible for sprite bump-mapping, except the world would look like Paper Mario. (Or if the ability to add other roaming lights to the game somehow became implimented)
Last edited by Zott on Jan 7th '11, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
irons
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:wow, it's sooo bumpy, this is awesome!
This raises a concern of mine very eloquently. I am very uncomfortable discussing the Jjaro and their bumps.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Bump maps uploaded to Simplici7y (also included are glow maps). There are two downloads:
100% Depth featuring deeper grooves and indentations.
50% Depth featuring shallower grooves and indentations.

Aye Mak Sicur
100% Depth
[attachment=4524:AyeMakSicur_0001.png]

Aye Mak Sicur
50% Depth
[attachment=4532:AyeMakSicur_0001.png]

Kingdom of Cydonia (Red Spectrum)
100% Depth
[attachment=4525:Kingdomo...nia_0000.png]

Kingdom of Cydonia (Red Spectrum)
50% Depth
[attachment=4529:Kingdomo...nia_0000.png]