Weland question

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

How do you set a player spawn point to random team in Weland? Thanks
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Oh, rats.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

If you're playing single player, or multiplayer with no teams, team colors should be ignored. If you're playing a team game where specific teams should spawn in specific places, set the team colors how you want them. If you're playing a team game where any team should spawn anywhere, you could set them all to the default, and when Aleph One can't find a spawn point for team X, it will fall back and use one of the spawn points of the default team.

What's interesting now that I think about it is the map format must have already supported team colors for players, even though I can't think of any gametypes in original Marathon where certain teams spawn in different places.
irons
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:What's interesting now that I think about it is the map format must have already supported team colors for players, even though I can't think of any gametypes in original Marathon where certain teams spawn in different places.
I think the Forge tutorial video shows a team color menu when the user creates a player spawn. So, yes.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Yeah, it does. But it actually has a random option.
irons
Vidmaster

They must have realized it was unnecessary.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:What's interesting now that I think about it is the map format must have already supported team colors for players, even though I can't think of any gametypes in original Marathon where certain teams spawn in different places.
I don't know about original Marathon, but in the Marathon 2 map format, team colors are stored in the index field of the map_object struct. This field is used for the other types of map objects, so it's not like they could remove it when they decided not to complete the team game types. They also left the code to do team spawns in place; Benad didn't need to alter it to make team games work in Aleph One.

In typical Bungie code fashion, the comment for the field says:

Code: Select all

_saved_player,  /* .index is team bitfield */
even though the actual code expects the field to contain the index of the team.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 17th '10, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

I just don't know if I should set colors fir every team or not. I guess team elim isn't all that popular but......
BoBsBrother
Cyborg

Also, what is a good weapon count for a map, as I think 500 some and counting is too much. I just want some input from an experienced map maker.
treellama
Vidmaster

Team elimination will not use the team colors anyway. Only rugby and CTF-based game types will. If your map doesn't support either of those, don't bother with the colors.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

BoBsBrother wrote:Also, what is a good weapon count for a map, as I think 500 some and counting is too much. I just want some input from an experienced map maker.
There's no harm in using "Infinite Available" (which overrides the Total Available). That will accommodate any length of game. If you're concerned about an overabundance of a weapon, lower the Max Count. Remember, if the Max Count is above 8 (or 16 for dual-wield weapons), everyone can be using them at the same time. If your map is intended for less than 8 players, you may want to lower the Max Count even further. You can also make ammo for the weapon appear rarely.