community commentary

The best of the Pfhorums.
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

<screamingfool> i love how basically all of the proposed scenarios and mods are scams with nobody benefiting from them


discuss
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg
Posts: 122
Joined: Jul 30th '07, 19:30
Location: The inner catacombs of a dark pyramid.
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:<screamingfool> i love how basically all of the proposed scenarios and mods are scams with nobody benefiting from them
discuss
In what way are they scams? Its not like the modders are charging money for them.

I know a lot of scenarios and mods that actually bring something new and cool to Marathon. They are the farthest thing from scams.
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

Winter_Wolf wrote:In what way are they scams? Its not like the modders are charging money for them.

I know a lot of scenarios and mods that actually bring something new and cool to Marathon. They are the farthest thing from scams.
this is not a counterargument because you made no actual points

and i want to argue
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

W wrote:Thermo, your opinions are wrong.
no u

seriously guys, two people have suggested today that your community-organized scenarios (wherein you go trolling for artists because you're all talentless hacks) are typically complete wastes of time not only because the end product is terrible but no one improves in the long run.

you ought to feel compelled to defend at least one of those points? i need some FIRE and PASSION, or i will quote this post every time someone is like HAY GUYS WE SHOULD MAKE A SCENARIO as evidence that it is a terrible -- and, as importantly, indefensible! -- idea.

edit: whale biologist
Last edited by thermoplyae on Aug 12th '07, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster
Posts: 912
Joined: Mar 16th '07, 17:57
Location: Lochgilphead, Scotland
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:no u

seriously guys, two people have suggested today that your community-organized scenarios (wherein you go trolling for artists because you're all talentless hacks) are typically complete wastes of time not only because the end product is terrible but no one improves in the long run.

you ought to feel compelled to defend at least one of those points? i need some FIRE and PASSION, or i will quote this post every time someone is like HAY GUYS WE SHOULD MAKE A SCENARIO as evidence that it is a terrible -- and, as importantly, indefensible! -- idea.

edit: whale biologist
What the fuck are you talking about.
Image
User avatar
Tybo
Cyborg
Posts: 305
Joined: Jul 6th '06, 14:03
Location: Vulcan
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:no u

seriously guys, two people have suggested today that your community-organized scenarios (wherein you go trolling for artists because you're all talentless hacks) are typically complete wastes of time not only because the end product is terrible but no one improves in the long run.

you ought to feel compelled to defend at least one of those points? i need some FIRE and PASSION, or i will quote this post every time someone is like HAY GUYS WE SHOULD MAKE A SCENARIO as evidence that it is a terrible -- and, as importantly, indefensible! -- idea.

edit: whale biologist
Okay, so if everything you do needs to have a 'point', and people need to 'benefit' from it, why don't you stop wasting your time here? Just shut your computer down, right now, sign up at the UN peacekeepers (at least THEY do something good to this world, as long as some other asshole-nations don't screw their rules), take a plane to the hungriest, most by AIDS infected part of Africa, and start doing something REALLY useful for this world. There you can REALLY improve people in the long run. Instead of wasting your time behind your stupid computer all day.

Or, a bit less drastic, but that doesn't make it any better, stop wasting your time here whining about how people like to spend their free time. Did you improve in the long run, after making this shit-topic? Did you ever IMPROVE after watching one of those spoiled channels, claiming that you're winning your war?

DID ANYONE EVER IMPROVE AFTER ANYTHING YOU'VE DONE IN YOUR LIFE?
Last edited by Tybo on Aug 13th '07, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster
Posts: 2290
Joined: May 5th '07, 02:04
Contact:

I have to add that just participating in the community does teach some basic coding, troubleshooting, pixel-editor art skills, and patience (damn you, forge!!!!). But, according to you, (and this is true) AN OPEN SOURCE PROGRAM, AND THE COMMUNITY SURROUNDING IT (AND ONLY IT) CAN ACCOMPLISH NOTHING MATERIAL, WITH EXCEPTION TO THE FACT THAT IF YOU BREAK THE GNU RULES YOU GET FINED. THERE IS NO MONEY OR OTHER MATERIAL THINGS (DISCOUNTING STOLEN ART) TO BE HAD HERE, ONLY SKILLS. DEAL WITH IT.
Can't speel for hist.
User avatar
Lugas
Vidmaster
Posts: 834
Joined: Jun 12th '06, 20:40
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:FIRE and PASSION
You mean the same passion that the Trilogy had? Rubicon has this in my opinion...

Also, goran's Xmas scenario was sortof community organised is not a waste of time. And I agree about disliking people saying "Hey! Let's make a scenario! I need mappers, artists, storymakers etc etc" because anyone who had the same common sense that RyokoTK had would make an example of his talent before asking for help. And you can never guarantee you can get help even if you make a good example of yourself.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6105
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:edit: whale biologist
no u
User avatar
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 759
Joined: Apr 1st '06, 04:56
Location: Another World
Contact:

We need more awesome scenarios like Morgana and Eternal. Shadow is gonna be sweet. [MLaugh]
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
Image
User avatar
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster
Posts: 2506
Joined: Jan 24th '06, 01:23
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:edit: whale biologist
There is no evil in this world that cannot be [CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION].
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
User avatar
JUICEMAN
Born on Board
Posts: 47
Joined: Nov 24th '06, 04:37
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:seriously guys, two people have suggested today that your community-organized scenarios (wherein you go trolling for artists because you're all talentless hacks) are typically complete wastes of time not only because the end product is terrible but no one improves in the long run.

you ought to feel compelled to defend at least one of those points? i need some FIRE and PASSION, or i will quote this post every time someone is like HAY GUYS WE SHOULD MAKE A SCENARIO as evidence that it is a terrible -- and, as importantly, indefensible! -- idea.
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. The amount of talent my team has couldn't fill a shot glass if it were sitting on the bottom of the sea of JUICE. But do you have any idea how many people benefited from Marathon: JUICE?!? All I had to do to finish my scenario is ask 20 people to send me all of the pictures on their hard drive and cram them into anvil. Then I told each of them to create 20-30 polygons on some map and send it to the next person. AND PROFESSIONALS DECIDED THAT THIS SCENARIO WAS MOST LIKELY TO SPREAD JUICE. You say that no one improves in the long run? HALF OF MY TEAM IS NOW OUT OF JAIL. If you're saying that a scenario that has been proven to cure cancer is terrible, you should hate yourself.

You say you want FIRE, well...IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS POST, I'LL BURN YOUR FACE OFF.
- JUICE is the only way.
[8FTB]
taps you the eight-foot-tall Burton
Image
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

tybo: lol, easy there boy, i just said there had to be a point to these posts, otherwise there was nothing to debate. to address the non sequitur points you did raise: i didn't need to improve from this topic, as i'm alright enlightened; i was just trying to help wake you guys up. and yes, i do spend my days doing things that will, in the long run, have a positive net effect. ... what does the war have to do with this? and finally, you didn't actually offer any sort of actual counter-claim or evidence, so i guess you found no false information in my post and i'm the winner.

phortiphy (why isn't it pfhoripfhy?): i don't think you understand what you're talking about, if you're even talking about anything in particular. i can't honestly tell.

lugas: yes! yes, i agree, there are scenarios out there that have done a good job and have benefited everyone involved, but they are the tiny minority and they didn't troll for artists while themselves offering nothing -- or next to nothing, anyway. (this includes people whose work is bad. how good your work is is obviously related to its worth, and if you're a bad mapper and you make twenty maps then you effectively came up with nothing.) and yes, if only we were all like ryoko, i'd be much happier with the community.

bridget: i have come to the point that whenever you make a straight-faced remark i decide that if i agree with you then you were being serious, and if i don't agree with you then you were just joking. here you are clearly making a clever joke.


try harder, or i'm going to win, and i'm going to be JUSTIFIED, which is going to be awesome


edit: juiceman, i know you said not to respond, but i can't help myself. i'm very thankful for JUICE (the program), and so i have no beef with you.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Aug 13th '07, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar
kineticturtle
Vidmaster
Posts: 921
Joined: Jul 24th '06, 15:27
Contact:

You know this is an argument because there is CAPS and COLORS and SUCH.
User avatar
The Thug
Vidmaster
Posts: 1014
Joined: Jul 9th '07, 22:20
Contact:

Kinetic Turtle wrote:You know this is an argument because there is CAPS and COLORS and SUCH.
My thoughts exactly, just sit back and relax and enjoy the show. Also, get the popcorn, I like the jumbo mumbo size with tons of butter and too much salt.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

I'm actually sitting out of this? Wtf?
User avatar
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 759
Joined: Apr 1st '06, 04:56
Location: Another World
Contact:

If I could rate threads outside of the PL, I'd give this thread 5 stars.
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
Image
Macsforever

Im lmao as I watch this pointless argument because of thermoplyae's stupid opinions.
User avatar
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg
Posts: 318
Joined: Jul 15th '07, 01:42
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

thermoplyae wrote:seriously guys, two people have suggested today that your community-organized scenarios (wherein you go trolling for artists because you're all talentless hacks) are typically complete wastes of time not only because the end product is terrible but no one improves in the long run.
If you dont like the scenarios, dont play them, dont download them, dont even look at them if they bother you this much. Problem Solved.
Last edited by Sharkie Lino on Aug 13th '07, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.
Macsforever

thermoplyae wrote:two people
Emphasis on two. Id say this whole argument about crap scenarios is totally pointless. Not all scenarios have to be "perfect", or "brilliant". And no not every noob goes trolling for artists, I didnt. I bought a fucking tablet and drew till my hand got sore!
Not everyone is going to spend 5 hours a day making scenarios like Eternal and Morgana. All scenarios are scams into saving 15% or more on car insurance? NO! MOST DEFINATLY NOT!

So I say shove your stupid opinions back into the dark void of witch they came.
Last edited by Macsforever on Aug 13th '07, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paul
Cyborg
Posts: 262
Joined: Jul 30th '07, 02:15
Contact:

Macsforever wrote:So I say shove your stupid opinions back into the dark void of witch they came.
WITCH. KILL IT!

This is relevant because this thread belongs in the PL, as nothing of any importance has been posted.

And I haven't seen if anyone will help me on my map because I'm not very far in it.
Image
User avatar
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 735
Joined: Sep 10th '06, 17:35
Contact:

sharkie: i already said that the problem wasn't on my end, but i guess i could say it twice.

macs: nobody said they had to be perfect or brilliant, or that the creators had to dedicate significant amounts of time to them (though there is frequently a correlation between quality of the scenario and effort expended by the people involved), or that every scenario had to be like the GIANTS emr and eternal (heaven forbid!).

no one has actually attacked what was said. i'll say it again, because that's how this post is working out thus far: scenarios -- especially those that get announced early in development such that volunteers can be sucked in -- typically end in a result of either nothing or total crap, both of which result in a net loss for the developers and the consumers who take the time to play your shitty scenario. the 'scam' part from sf's original statement comes from you suckering people in. the 'nobody benefits' part is how nobody benefits. there's very little in between for you to misunderstand.

now, somebody who feels strongly for the other side (because it's obvious that 80% of the people who've posted here do, despite how some of you have tried hard to come off as aloof) should attack these statements. calling me stupid isn't going to work. telling me i don't do productive things with my time isn't going to work. telling me to mind my own business isn't going to work, since this thread is about your business getting polluting my scenario pool. the reason none of these work is because none of them address the issue at hand.

so, please. someone tell me how squadron or the remake being discussed in the Projects forum right now or others from the same genre are not a total waste of everyone's time.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Aug 13th '07, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 499
Joined: Jul 19th '06, 22:10
Contact:

wow i love how people are arguing that this is thread is pointless, IF ANYONE POSTED SOMETHING THAT RESEMBLED DEBATE IT WOULDN"T BE.

While i don't see why a passing observation needs to be belabored like this, it's certainly hitting a nerve for a lot of people who haven't put together scenarios and for the most part haven't even been in the community for long. Here's the idea as i stated it for those who can't tease out all of the meaning in it.

Marathon is exceptionally easy to create content for which is seductive, but it's accessibility does not make it any less work. People are always coming with grand ideas and little skill to put on the table and little completed work. Their posts always sound like pyramid schemes, poor grammar and all, but in the end no one will really carry their project for them as they realize the scope of their project is unrealistic. Everyone gets burnt and nobody's even on the top of that pyramid.

Ryoko said all of this before, i'm really surprised nobody has any observations about this, negative or positive. Before you have your knee-jerk "omg he's making fun of us" reaction either think about it enough to address the question at hand or decide it's not worthwhile and go away.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

if only we were all like ryoko, i'd be much happier with the community.
So if anyone here was still wondering if this was a joke topic or not, the verdict is in. You can all go home now.
since this thread is about your business getting polluting my scenario pool.
Locked