Juggernauts

Deleted posts and threads from the beginning until the creation of the Archives category.
irons

Well guys, I was waiting until the Pfhorums came back up to release my Juggernaut demo, but obviously something as fun as that can't sit around forever. Anyway, I'm opening up this topic to provide another place to discuss my newest Lua creation. I'll post news here as well, and maybe screenshots or even films. Until then, I'd like to hear some feedback.

Oh and by the way, I'm picking up speed on the co-op map. It's a blast so far. Even I was thrilled ... dozens of bad guys teleporting in around my head as I sat atop the Juggernaut ...

But anyway :)
ChauSara

Heh. It's awesome. The ability to rapidly gun down Juggernaughts while on a Juggernaught is fun.
irons

You said it :) Wait until the co-op version, though! It'll be a lot harder and more fun.
pakkman781
Cyborg

I feel stupid to ask, but where do I put the files on the Mac version of this? I've never used any Lua with A1, so I just don't know...
Switch
Vidmaster

Just drag the map file into the Infinity folder, and set it to something medium hardness or higher and your set... I have no idea how it works that way given that its lua but it did :D
irons

pakkman781 wrote: I feel stupid to ask, but where do I put the files on the Mac version of this? I've never used any Lua with A1, so I just don't know...
The Lua, along with the physics file, is embedded in the map file, so there's no worry about anything. Just slect it as you would a normal map!
pakkman781
Cyborg

Ya, I found out that I must've had a corrupted zip version, because all files had duplicates, and wouldn't run. Works great now, and is much fun! Can't wait to see more built around this :)
irons

pakkman781 wrote: Works great now, and is much fun! Can't wait to see more built around this :)

I'm glad it works! I'm plodding away at the co-op mission.
shongshong
Vidmaster

Woah! ride and fire some jugernaught stuff?! sounds like Uber fun!
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Destroyer E

This is pretty damn cool.

Marathon vehicles is something I've always wanted. This is close enough. :)
ChauSara

I think a multiplayer race mode would be an interesting idea...

You would have a number of people get into their designated Juggernaughts (or them possibly starting in the Juggernaught interior), and after at set amount of time, the Juggernaughts accelerate across a maze riddled with aliens that can get in your way.

If your Juggernaught runs into an alien, it will slightly slow down, (depending on what it hits) and speed up again. That means you would have to been quick to gun down stuff in your way. Also, if your Juggernaught's armor were to get to zero, you would momentarily stop, then start up again. That means if you had the oppertunity to take an opposing player down, it would be very rewarding.

Just an idea that came to mind.
shongshong
Vidmaster

sounds like a huge effort for a task that should be relativly simple and straight forward. (the thought of the complex intervention of Racing)
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Switch
Vidmaster

Plus the coding side, what says the script wouldent break down if there were more than 1 jugg? irons would probably have to wright versions for multiple juggs.
irons

Multiple juggernauts are supported! In fact, even the script built into the Demo could support multiple juggernauts with little modification. I only have preliminary designs for this, but the script itself has a juggernauts table, with three possible slots:

_default
_red
_blue

I think you see where I'm going with these team colors.

Ryoko and I just discussed a one-juggernaut-per-player style of play, and we're very excited about it. It's possible, but I'm working in baby steps here; First, one juggernaut for all players, then one juggernaut for each team (red + blue in ctf, specifically), then at last, one juggernaut per player. It'll come. Just give it time.

As a side note, I showed Ryoko what I have so far in the co-op version of Juggernauts. He liked it, and if you know Ryoko, you will also know that he doesn't say he likes things often. :) I've got one of the great mappers on my side, plus a bunch who certainly enjoy the concept. Plus my beta test team (namely W'rkncacnter and Rejneb) enjoy playing, so it's got to be fun, right?
rejneb

Ya, there is no doubt that this is going to be awsome. I played the small amount of the co-op map that there was and even just that was insanely fun. Not only was it fun but there were a lot of things that I was surprised to see work that will help for not only this project but maybe future scenarios using this idea.
irons

Progress continues. Here's a screenshot for your enjoyment. It was taken in third-person view.

[attachmentid=5]
Attachments
awesome.jpg
awesome.jpg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Phsyco_kid
Cyborg

I downloaded the file three or four times, and I seem to get a corrupted file every time. Is it my stuffit, or just a series of unlucky downloads?

*feels left out of the fun*

*edit* I redownloaded it (again) and the problem went away. There isn't supposedm to be TWO brown juggernauts, right? *edit*
Last edited by Phsyco_kid on Jan 24th '06, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside
ChauSara

I'd say it's a bad stuff-it expander. Try getting a new one.

Also, that screenshot looks awesome. I can't wait until it comes out... also, what's up with the green ball?
Switch
Vidmaster

Its what the sentinels shoot
rejneb

it is green ball because he replaced that for the turret so it doesn't use up a more needed weapons slot, I think he made that change on the small update on the demo to fix some glitch
Last edited by rejneb on Jan 24th '06, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
irons

Phsyco_Kid wrote: There isn't supposedm to be TWO brown juggernauts, right? *edit*
No. You must have it on a difficulty higher than Normal.
Phsyco_kid
Cyborg

Oh, that's it. Great script. I can't wait for the full multi-player one.
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside
irons

Phsyco_Kid wrote: Oh, that's it. Great script. I can't wait for the full multi-player one.

Thanks! Neither can I ;-) I'm hard at work getting it ready. I'm not a good mapper, but I think you'll still be amazed at what I make for this project.
irons

I have finished the basic structure of the next section of the map. I'll begin work on implementing the associated missions and the enemies.
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

Jon do you still like my idea of somehow making the Juggs (heh thats funny) follow predetirmined paths, somewhat like a tank. [maybe we found a way to make vehicles afterall]. This could be used on multiplayer as well as singleplayer.