Finally throwing out Halathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Mavrik
Born on Board

Awesome! Love how the menus look, makes me want to crush ice with my teeth for some reason!
I regret nothing, and yet everything.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I WANNA PLAY!!!

Will any solo maps come with the demo?
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Destiny wrote:I WANNA PLAY!!!

Will any solo maps come with the demo?
without a proper storyline? I doubt it. I could try to re-create the pillar of autumn levels from the original Halo i guess but I'm not sure if I wanna invest time and effort into a complete Halo plot clone... I wanna give Halathon some originality after all.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Jul 2nd '12, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

That's a pleasant surprise. I don't even remember what I contributed in the way of scripting. [MTongue]
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:That's a pleasant surprise. I don't even remember what I contributed in the way of scripting. [MTongue]
haha, well you were in fishman's credits so you must've done something. [MUp]
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, so make original solo maps! XD

I don't care if there's some full scenario that comes with. What I'm trying to get at is that I wanna see Halathon in action for solo, being able to see how everything runs (such as the soldiers with the ARs!).
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Those menus are looking great. Really good job.

And Crater- You're only in there cos I was told to put you in there by someone a long time ago- I don't know who said it, but I'm sure you did something. Oh well xD.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm hoping that at the end, our military Mjolnir Mark IV meets Master Chief and tells him: "I am your Father"

Sorry, did I spoil the ending? [MGrin]
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:I'm hoping that at the end, our military Mjolnir Mark IV meets Master Chief and tells him: "I am your Father"

Sorry, did I spoil the ending? [MGrin]
Inb4 Patrick

Marathon Manual wrote:"Make me proud. Never lose your honor."
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
TychoVII
Cyborg

Crater, maybe you were the one that wrote some of the lua script that Solra didn't remember writing?
"We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I went back into my private messages from 2 years ago and found this:

'Fishman92' wrote:
'Me' wrote:
'Fishman92' wrote:I gather you did some of the scripting for halathon, yeah?
If so I will credit you/
Thanks, fish.
Yeah, I did a lot of chatting back and forth with TychoVII, especially on how to implement things with lua. I wasn't really expecting to be credited, but I'd say it would be appropriate to include me. I actually didn't know you'd picked up the torch; thanks for taking the effort to track down earlier contributors. [MSmile]
Kk, thanks. Do you know who was on the original haathon team and if so can you send me names?
So I'll go with what I said then. The project has come so far, it just seems like ages ago when you and I were discussing it, which is why it's hard for me to remember who did what.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can people make 3rd party content (solo) for Halathon? Thought I'd ask and throw the idea out on the table.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

You can try to create solo maps if you want but I can't guarantee that they will be added to the demo - there's nothing to say against releasing them as a separate download though.
If you want to joint the team as a mapper then you're welcome ofc. You'll have to work under the critical observation of two notorious perfectionsists however so be warned ^^.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sorry again for the long absence of updates - things are not progressing as quickly as I'd like them to because other projects have kinda hijacked my spare time so I had to put Halathon on temporary hold but I'm positive the demo will be out before the end of this year - in the meantime have a few more sceenshots:

[attachment=5718:unsc1.jpg]

[attachment=5720:unsc2.jpg]

[attachment=5721:unsc3.jpg]

[attachment=5722:unsc4.jpg]

[attachment=5723:unsc5.jpg]

[attachment=5724:unsc6.jpg]

Credits for the amazing fleatingX HUD go to Hopper and TychoVII.

I'll try to post a short video featuring some ingame action as soon as possible.
take care
Attachments
unsc6.jpg
unsc6.jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
unsc5.jpg
unsc5.jpg (163.84 KiB) Viewed 15349 times
unsc4.jpg
unsc4.jpg (183.58 KiB) Viewed 15345 times
unsc3.jpg
unsc3.jpg (169.27 KiB) Viewed 15348 times
unsc2.jpg
unsc2.jpg (174.19 KiB) Viewed 15346 times
unsc1.jpg
unsc1.jpg (137.22 KiB) Viewed 15348 times
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Fantastic work guys. Good job.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

OMG! The Puma! I mean, The Warthog!
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

OMG! That looks too cool to possibly be Marathon!!!

Hmm... it would be interesting if you were fighting xenomorphs in those hallways...
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Everything's looking great except for differential shading. It's looking a bit flat.

I can also see you're trying for some realistic lighting effects, but that's a slippery slope with this engine. It can sometimes be done and look good, but only if it's done just right. I think the best solution given what I'm looking at is to have a special texture showing light gradation just for that ceiling light.

I don't remember Halo well, so maybe you're being faithful here with the X-shaped light pattern? If so, I would at least take it off the floor.

Keep up the good work!
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Everything's looking great except for differential shading. It's looking a bit flat.

I can also see you're trying for some realistic lighting effects, but that's a slippery slope with this engine. It can sometimes be done and look good, but only if it's done just right. I think the best solution given what I'm looking at is to have a special texture showing light gradation just for that ceiling light.
I noticed the same, but I think that that's how Halo looks.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

differential shading is easier to implement when you have a single primary light source (such as the sun) whereas in the small UNSC ship corridors you have multiple small light sources instead that are supposed to provide a homogenously lit athmospere so it's more difficult. The shading in the original Halo levels was pretty weak as well iirc but I'll try do make it a bit more distinct.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Aug 16th '12, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

You may think it looks "flat" for Halo, but it looks AWESOME for Marathon.

If it can be improved, great, but I wouldn't change anything.
treellama
Vidmaster

The shading looks pretty good to me.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Works well for what it is. It doesn't have strong differential shading, but it's glow-ey future halo world, not dark, dystopian Marathon world. It works well for the intended aesthetic.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just looking at it, it amazes me. Can't wait to actually try this out.

Wait.... Are those angles on the wall?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

If it looks good, and you can tell where things are, you don't really need differential shading anyway. The technique is primarily to cover for bad texturing jobs.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 16th '12, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.