Total Newbie

Introduce yourself here!
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

Heya, all. I'm FlawedIntellect.
So, um, I'm not technically a Marathon fan, but I'm hoping to eventually become one, since Marathon has been pretty fun. I just have yet to beat any of the titles. XD

So, well, I merely joined to be able to look at screenshots and the like, though I'll see about hopping on from time to time, and maybe I can make some friends here as well.

So, it's nice to meet you all!
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Emmett wrote:I'm not technically a Marathon fan
Jon 20:29 THE LORD saith unto him, Eric, because thou hast played mararthon, thou hast 4GOT mararthon: blessed are they that have not played mararthon, and yet will 4GET.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

patrick wrote:Jon 20:29 THE LORD saith unto him, Eric, because thou hast played mararthon, thou hast 4GOT mararthon: blessed are they that have not played mararthon, and yet will 4GET.
Parodying scripture with nonsense, I see.
John 20:29 Then Jesus told him, â??Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.â?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Are you the Doc Brown? What's 2015 like?
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:Are you the Doc Brown? What's 2015 like?
No, not Doc Brown. And it's more Emmett Riker. Ask what 2034 is like. (This is sort-of a Bubblegum Crisis fancharacter name thingy that I have yet to flesh out or do anything with, but eh, he might be my generic sci-fi or cyberpunk insert character as well.)

The DeLorean is kickarse, though, in the movie you're referencing. If only we had hovercars now. :3 "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Emmett wrote:No, not Doc Brown. And it's more Emmett Riker. Ask what 2034 is like. (This is sort-of a Bubblegum Crisis fancharacter name thingy that I have yet to flesh out or do anything with, but eh, he might be my generic sci-fi or cyberpunk insert character as well.)

The DeLorean is kickarse, though, in the movie you're referencing. If only we had hovercars now. :3 "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Emmett wrote:I honestly don't know whether or not to find that funny or whether to be offended.
Things could get pretty interesting depending on how you feel about the seventh ecumenical council.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Emmett wrote:I honestly don't know whether or not to find that funny or whether to be offended.
Offended. Always be offended.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:At times, one wonders the same about the scriptures themselves!
That is due to the fact that people regularly take the scripture out of its cultural and relative contexts. (Relative = in relation to the rest of the passage, while cultural = relevant to the line of thinking and culture of the time period it was written in.)

When people take scriptures and quote them without these applied contexts, the meaning is easily distorted. I don't find there to be anything laughable or even offensive about the actual scriptures, just a note, but if ya have concerns or questions, send me a PM.

If any one's curious about scripture and its meanings, or finds something offensive about something, feel free to send me a PM and I'll try what I can to explain it better or provide context.

Considering that this can get out of hand as a topic, it's best just to leave discussions in PMs to avoid flame-wars and the like.

Nyaaa~!

Anyway, nice to meet you all.
goran
Vidmaster

Hello Emmett. Good luck with beating the three marathons! What skill level do you play on as a newbie?
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

goran wrote:Hello Emmett. Good luck with beating the three marathons! What skill level do you play on as a newbie?
I stick with "Normal" difficulty, which in and of itself is quite challenging yet still enjoyable. I usually don't care for taking on games on easy unless the difficulty level is something I find to be too extreme. And with the Marathon games, I just stick with "Normal" because it's very challenging and over time I can improve in my gameplay skills.
Zott
Vidmaster

Welcome to the Pfhorums! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

I'd suggest you get started on your 20-map scenario now. Every beginning Marathoner needs a fallowed project under their name. A good start would be the the posting of a title screen. [MLaugh]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

My one sincere piece of advice is to never take anything seriously, ever, and to question the motivation and point of view of every poster you see here. Live your Pfhorums life steeped in the utmost paranoia, doubtful of the veracity of any statements, until you begin to question the very nature of your life itself.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 24th '12, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

Zott wrote:Welcome to the Pfhorums! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

I'd suggest you get started on your 20-map scenario now. Every beginning Marathoner needs a fallowed project under their name. A good start would be the the posting of a title screen. [MLaugh]
I'm still working on playing through the game. I have yet to actually beat it, and currently I've made it as far as the first BoB level of the first game. Is it just me or do the hulks take roughly 1.5 to 2.5 packs of grenades to kill? (I.E. about 12 to 20 grenades). Dang those things are tough!
Also, I'd like to beat the games before actually starting on my own project. Additionally, I'd need to actually get serious about spriting and/or 3D modeling and textures, which I'm not quite ready for. Plus I'm not all that good of an artist. I hope to have art skills on par with the animators of the original Bubblegum Crisis anime, but eh, I take such a dream about as seriously as a fantasy, so yeah... Plus, I'd like to learn how to program, though I'm easily distracted so that poses another problem. In short: I spend way too much time daydreaming and little time actually doing anything other than typing walls of text.

It's a wonder that I even know anything. Still, Marathon is quite fun. I just need to learn to not die and to dodge better so that I don't have to go refilling my health a lot. XD

Also, hopefully gaining skills from Marathon can be carried over to playing Metroid Prime 2 on the Wii. But eh... That's an entirely different game that I have yet to finish. (Still, things that could improve are paying attention to radar and motion tracking, keeping alert for where enemies are, evasion skills, aiming skills, timing, and knowing when to spam weaker shots and when to spam the heavy artillery, all with some degree of accurate aim.)

Yeah, I'm 19 yet childish and a bit all over the place.

But eh, that's just me being goofy.

As per why I have a catgirl avatar image, I'm just particularly fond of catgirl characters. So yeah...

Another funny thing is that I can have an emotional reaction to mere text on a screen. (Reading about the situation on Mars in one terminal was rather startling and made me feel rather uneasy.)

Well, thank-you for the welcome.
$lave

Emmett wrote:Another funny thing is that I can have an emotional reaction to mere text on a screen. (Reading about the situation on Mars in one terminal was rather startling and made me feel rather uneasy.)
You'll should enjoy the Marathon series a lot then, particularly the second and third games. There are a couple stretches of the first game that I find a bit lacking though, and if you end up not enjoying it at some point then you may want to play M2/MI before returning to the first game.

Welcome.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Do you happen to be an ENFP? You post like my ENFP friend.
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

gmanyo wrote:Do you happen to be an ENFP? You post like my ENFP friend.
I don't really think so. I'm a bit more introverted and I haven't really taken a test on that yet, so I'm not quite sure where I'd be on the MBTI test.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey. Welcome. Hopefully you won't be another person that makes a thread introducing themself, then after time leave the community, making it that there is one less active person.

Good luck playing through the trilogy. When you finish those, you should try Eternal and Rubicon out as well. Also, I would advise as well to not take everyone's posts seriously. That sometimes includes TK himself.