Copy & Paste Plugin

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Can someone please give me a download of a Weland for Windows that has the copy & paste plugin up and running?
I can't get mine to work no matter how hard I try. PLEASE.
jonny
Born on Board

I don't have a windows machine, so I can't help you there, but I wrote the plugin so maybe I can help you get it working? I'll need more info than "won't work", though.

Which version of Weland are you running?
Are you running it against .NET or Mono? Which version?
Does the plugin show up in the Plugins menu?
If it does, does anything happen when you select it in the menu? (It should pop up a Choose File dialog first.)
If it doesn't, and you have everything installed properly, then you're probably out of luck.

Just to reiterate what's stated in the readme file - this plugin does NOT enable the copy and paste menu items for Weland. It's for copying some or all of the contents of one map file to another.
Look out - he's nuts!
Shocktart
Cyborg

Which version of Weland are you running? : 1.4.1
Are you running it against .NET or Mono? Which version? : .NET
Does the plugin show up in the Plugins menu? : No.
If it does, does anything happen when you select it in the menu? (It should pop up a Choose File dialog first.) : N/A
If it doesn't, and you have everything installed properly, then you're probably out of luck. : Well f***, please don't abandon me.
jonny
Born on Board

I'm not sure, but there seems to be some difference with running against .NET versus Mono. Theoretically, it should be the same, but it might be worth trying.

Do any other plugins show up in the plugins menu? Do they work? In particular, you should try the two included plugins and the circle drawing plugin, the latter also being mine and built in the same environment as Copy&Paste. But see if you can get any plugins working.

Without a windows machine (or any familiarity with windows and .NET), I don't really have much ability to help you beyond this. The only other option I can think of is for you to compile the plugin in your own development environment if you're up to it.
Look out - he's nuts!
Shocktart
Cyborg

What about this README that equates to nonsense for me?:
"* Installing Plugins

You can install Weland plugins in one of two places. The easiest is to
put them in a Plugins directory in the same directory as Weland.

You can also install them in a Plugins directory in Weland's
application data directory:

Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\Weland\Application Data\Plugins
Mac OS X: /Users/<username>/.config/Weland/Plugins
Linux: ~/.config/Weland/Plugins"
"** Generic Plugins

For plugins that need no UI, you can implement the Run() static
method. Any output you write to System.Console will show up in a log
window after the plugin is run.

gmcs -r:/path/to/Weland.exe -target:library YourPlugin.css

** GTK plugins

If you need a UI, you should implement the GtkRun() static method
instead.

gmcs -r:/path/to/Weland.exe -pkg:gtk-sharp-2.0 -target:library YourGtkPlugin.cs"
jonny
Born on Board

Shocktart wrote:What about this README that equates to nonsense for me?:
What about it?

Look, I'm more than willing to help you get this working, but if your responses will consist of "this sucks", "this makes no sense", "fix this", then I can't and won't do mucn to help you. Be explicit about what you are trying and what does/doesn't work.

Can you get any plugins to work? Which ones?
Do you want to try to compile my plugins yourself? It's really not that hard and is essentially guaranteed to get them to work.
Look out - he's nuts!
Shocktart
Cyborg

jonny wrote:
Shocktart wrote:What about this README that equates to nonsense for me?:
Can you get any plugins to work? Which ones?
Do you want to try to compile my plugins yourself? It's really not that hard and is essentially guaranteed to get them to work.
None. I have both .Net framework, GTK and Mono installed and still nothing.
I've done all I could based on both Weland & Plugin readme's except for the parts that I couldn't understand which are quoted above.
All plugins are IN the Weland Plugins folder.

As far as "Compiling" I'll need step by step instructions as to how to do that.
jonny
Born on Board

Shocktart wrote:
jonny wrote: Can you get any plugins to work? Which ones?
None. I have both .Net framework, GTK and Mono installed and still nothing.
All plugins are IN the Weland Plugins folder.
I don't know how to force Weland to use .NET or Mono, but I'm pretty sure just having them both installed will always default to one or the other (probably .NET). My guess is that it won't matter, but it may be worth trying to get it to use Mono.

Shocktart wrote:As far as "Compiling" I'll need step by step instructions as to how to do that.
I can't really give you instructions for how to use whatever development environment you have there. The instructions for compiling plugins that you quoted above are to be used from a command line, which may be easier to deal with in this case. If you have no programming experience, this is going to take a fair bit of work on your part to learn what's necessary to use development tools. I'm willing to help you, but keep in mind that there are much better resources than me for learning this.

The first thing you'll need is a compiler that understands C#. I have no idea what sort of development tools Windows ships with, but at some point you'll also need either the .NET sdk or the Mono sdk. Verify that everything's installed properly by building a simple test program. I know the Mono sdk comes with pretty detailed instructions on how to build a "hello world" program, and I can only assume .NET does as well. Once you've got that working, download the Weland source code from sourceforge and compile the included plugins. Use the svn command quoted on that page to download it into a new directory. Then build the plugins with the command(s) you quoted from the README file.

It may seem like a lot of effort to get a couple of plugins working for Weland, but consider what you'll be learning along the way.
Look out - he's nuts!
treellama
Vidmaster

jonny wrote:I don't know how to force Weland to use .NET or Mono, but I'm pretty sure just having them both installed will always default to one or the other (probably .NET). My guess is that it won't matter, but it may be worth trying to get it to use Mono.
If you double click on it, it will use .NET. If you run it with Mono, it will...run it...with Mono... :)

It's never worth trying to get it to work with Mono on Windows. Use .NET.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I was really hoping someone would have a Windows version of Weyland with all plug-ins functioning that they could make available for download, the same way I got a working version of Obed.

I'll give the compiling a try...
Shocktart
Cyborg

Its been almost 2 hours. I'm not saying I'm giving up but I'm really feeling the primary drawback of freeware over commercial ware.

LIMITED TECHNICAL SUPPORT.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I got nothing.

Somebody please help me, even if its to show me up like "Haha! I was able to do it! Your technical prowess is WEAK and you're an inferior in every way!"
jonny
Born on Board

Sorry I was away for a while. I'm not really sure what I can do at this point. Have you managed to get a "Hello World" program compiled and running with .NET? Have you tried? Let me repeat what I wrote earlier:
jonny wrote: I can't really give you instructions for how to use whatever development environment you have there. ... If you have no programming experience, this is going to take a fair bit of work on your part to learn what's necessary to use development tools. I'm willing to help you, but keep in mind that there are much better resources than me for learning this.
The point is, I can't teach you how to use Windows development tools, because I don't have a Windows machine. That said, once you've managed to compile the very simplest .NET program, I can give you some help with the Weland plugins.
Look out - he's nuts!
treellama
Vidmaster

Have you tried the other plugins location: C:\Documents and Settings\Weland\Application Data\Plugins
Shocktart
Cyborg

treellama wrote:Have you tried the other plugins location: C:\Documents and Settings\Weland\Application Data\Plugins
No, and I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Does it need to be in "Documents and Settings"? I don't have that folder.
I also don't have an Application Data folder. I had to make that myself.

If I put it in a folder that says: "Documents and Settings" will it work?

Is there a certain windows Weland needs? I have Windows 7 Premium.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

maybe alan knows
treellama
Vidmaster

Shocktart wrote:I have Windows 7 Premium.
Now we're getting somewhere; until this point in the thread, nobody even know what version of Windows you were running. It's difficult to be helpful without basic knowledge like that.

In Windows 7, try putting your plugins in C:\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Weland\Plugins

If the folder doesn't exist, create it.
Shocktart
Cyborg

treellama wrote:
Shocktart wrote:I have Windows 7 Premium.
Now we're getting somewhere; until this point in the thread, nobody even know what version of Windows you were running. It's difficult to be helpful without basic knowledge like that.

In Windows 7, try putting your plugins in C:\Users\<username>AppData\Roaming\Weland\Plugins

If the folder doesn't exist, create it.
I've done what you told me too.
AppData in Windows 7 is a hidden folder, but I found a way to unhide it and do as you ask.

Still no avail. Does it matter where Weland is installed on my computer? Because its just sitting in a random folder in My Documents. If "C:\" File paths matter I might have it in the wrong place.

Otherwise the plugins still don't appear.
treellama
Vidmaster

It matters a little where Weland is installed; if you had it in Program Files, that might make it unable to navigate to the a Plugins folder in Program Files. That's why I recommended the AppData folder. If Weland is installed somewhere that belongs to you, then the Plugins folder should be fine.

So, perhaps Weland isn't having a problem finding the plugins, but a problem loading them. To troubleshoot that, a debug version of Weland would have to be generated, since there is no debug output on plugins right now.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I've pasted it everywhere.
Its a "finding" problem if I ever saw one.
Asylum
Cyborg

Shocktart wrote:I've pasted it everywhere.
(0__0)
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
Shocktart
Cyborg

Help me Asylum, help me.

Somebody please help me.