Switches always defaulting to "active"

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

In texturing my maps using vasara, I find that every time I apply a switch and set up its parameters, the next time I load the level it has reverted to being an active switch. There is a checkbox that says "initially active" or something like that, and I always leave it unchecked, and am using the inactive texture palette...but again, upon next load, the switch is always active. I mean, it isn't a game-breaking problem, but it does mean I have to turn the switch off and then back on to get it to activate anything. Which is clumsy and pretty stupid. Suggestions??

Hopefully I can upload my new map shortly and let y'all play through it.

Thanks.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

...it actually only seems to be with Tag switches. The checkbox I mentioned actually says "Tag is active"...again, this box by default is not checked. It's just, whenever I assign the switch its tag, it reverts back to being active. Ack!
Tycho X
Cyborg

You know what you should do in this kind of situation? The opposite. If you create an 'inactive' switch and assign it to some tag without checking the 'initially active box', and it still appears active in-game, just do the opposite. Set the switch to 'initially active', and you should have the desired effect, which is an inactive switch.
Frog blast the vent core!
$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

Tycho X wrote:You know what you should do in this kind of situation? The opposite. If you create an 'inactive' switch and assign it to some tag without checking the 'initially active box', and it still appears active in-game, just do the opposite. Set the switch to 'initially active', and you should have the desired effect, which is an inactive switch.
Yeah, this is basically how the 'wires' option works, if you set wires to be active, they are broken, because by default they are always active. But yeah, this was the first thing I tried, it didn't work, hence my being here. I can avoid using some of the tags by using the "activate adjacent platform" but I'm still going to have this problem for a while. Maybe I will try the visual mode.lua as it could be a bug in vasara.

Thanks for your suggestion though, Tycho.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

I had to dig up this discussion because I am having the same problem again now. Apparently I am full blown back into Marathon again, as I'm playing old scenarios, making levels, and frequenting the Pfhorums again. I guess that's what happens after one finishes school and is having trouble finding work.

Anyway, I don't remember how I solved this back then, but I know what's wrong now to anyone else having this problem. It's actually pretty obvious. The switches save in whatever position they're in when you use the .save level command. Basically, in visual mode, don't assign tag switches their parameters, switch them to make sure they work, and then save, because it saves as is. Note to any curious map makers, and also to my future self in 2021 when I again get back into making maps and again can't figure out why this keeps happening.