Marathon 1 Redux

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

player light setting - If there are no light sources, at what distance should things appear black?

light="0" -- In the dark you shan't be able to see your fist in front of your face.
No votes
light="0.1" - you can see your weapons and walls/monsters you're right up against
50%
light="0.2" - current setting on 0.0.13-alpha, you can only see about 1 WU
8%
light="0.3" - current setting on git, you can see for about 2 WU.
8%
light="0.4" - you can see about 3 WU, most things are visible
8%
light="0.5" - original setting, you can see for about 4 WU, only very large areas are black
25%

Total votes: 12
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Interesting trick, Tacticus. I'll keep it in mind in case I find a place for it.

Today I spat out the remaining three MIDA doors, and fixed the transparency on the semi-transparent Grendels:
MIDA7.png
And I implemented them in the map, so now everything though Blaspheme Quarantine has MIDA tags on their secret doors. While I was at it, I fixed a texture on BGN, fixed some sound on NBM, and did some re-texturing and alignment to The Rose.

Then, seeing as there's no terminal editor or viewer that I'm aware of, I made a terminal testing map

1 - made a copy of the M1R merge folder outside of git
2 - deleted every file within
3 - deleted every directory under Resources
4 - created a map in level 00 with one octagonal room, seven terminals, and a repair switch
5 - symlinked that map into every level folder
6 - symlinked the M1R Resources/PICT folder into Resources
7 - symlinked every M1R term.txt file into the appropriate level folders
termtestmap.png
Now, whenever I want to test a change I make to a terminal, rather than having to merge the whole scenario and go find it within, I can merge the terminal test folder and quickly open the right terminal. Even better, I can put the test map in M1A1 and run it in a 640x480 window, so I can view it side-by-side my text editor without having to mess with M1R's preferences.

Then I went in and provided (mandatory minimum requirement) AI-specific logon/logoffs for every terminal included thus far. This includes two terminals that transition from a general message to a Leela message - for those, I've taken a page out of Pfhorrest's book and put LOGON tags at the transition, to change from U.E.S.C. Marathon to LEELA_870229.

EDIT - found the problem that was formerly this paragraph, a typo in a LOGOFF tag was dumping me out of a term prematurely.
Spoiler:
I'm considering using Tycho's logon for the AMS system rather than the generic Marathon logon. It seems like this would be a system under Tycho's purview, and while at this point in the game Tycho is known to be damaged, unlike Durandal he is not so damaged that Leela is taking over his functions.
All that remains to do before I start pulling in the rest of the original scenario is finish the BoB physics. I might have time to do that today, in which case I'll be posting version 0.0.10 on Monday.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

The new flavours of BoB!
DefendTHIS_0004.jpg
Purple, black, and white carry pepper spray, .25 ACP, and nerfed fusion, respectively. Purple and white are slightly tougher than their yellow and red counterparts, while black is slightly weaker than blue, leaving the Blue "security" BoB to be the toughest of the lot. What about green, you ask? Green only punches, if green shot things that'd give away the assimilated BoBs too easily.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

0.0.10-alpha is up!

GitHub: https://github.com/ravenshining/M1R/releases/tag/0.0.10-alpha
Simplici7y: http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-1-redux

Release notes:
- New title music by HamsterAlliance
- Physics are 99% complete- all monsters have functional definitions and supporting sequences, but there are still some bugs - especially, humans need to be set to non-alien and rebalanced to work with rescue missions
- Rescue missions temporarily set to exploration because above
- Levels now play in canonical sequence, no skipping around like in 0.0.9a, but the blue term will still take you straight to Bigger Guns Nearby since that's so much more polished than everything else.
- Converted & added Blaspheme Quarantine & Bob-B-Q
- Miscellaneous improvements to Bigger Guns, Never Burn Money, Defend THIS!, The Rose
- All included terminals have appropriate AI attribution (LEELA-870229, TYCHO-005917, & DURANDAL-1707 instead of all U.E.S.C. Marathon all the time)
- Animated the fan texture
- More MIDA secret door textures
- Transparent textures from Marathon Zero
- Pulled in the remaining HD versions of Tim Vogel's UESC Marathon textures
- Rerendered 1st title screen
- Various text files have better formatting
- Lumped together everything in the "images" and "testing and proposed" folders into one "scratch" folder
- Rounded up a few stray files from the wrong places and threw them in "scratch"
- Images de-merged to minimise reliance on Basillisk II
ravenshining
Vidmaster

blarg sick day update

making use of the new transparent textures, and playing with miniature switches on Arrival
Arrival_0001.jpg
ever so slightly widened hallway into the maze for better co-op. the widening halts at the elevator / stair fork, since beyond that point two players may diverge paths. Not sure whether two may pass each other without testing - it seems the player's radius may be shrunk in physics, but nevertheless a player still won't pass through lines less than 0.5 WU wide?
Arrival_0003.jpg
and what's this? a new friend! no physics for the little guy yet but sequences, yes!
skitter.png
also, the other day I had access to some unlimited internets, and took the opportunity to upload all the pfhor textures and Dr. Hardgrove's music for future utilisation.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Oh hey, it's that beta creature! Are you planning on making those web-cannons(?) it's got functional?
welcome to the scene of the crash
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Maybe if I or someone else gets around to creating attack sequences. Unlike the Marathon alpha I've never got the beta working (and no longer have a copy to try) so I don't know what it was like in action - all I've got is Hopper's extracted shapes. Otherwise I'll just have it skitter around harmlessly on the Pfhor ship, or use it in place of the Hound in case PerseusSpartacus doesn't finish it.

At the moment it's rather far down the priority list, and it'll be a little more work just to get a death animation and smooth out its movement, but I thought the artwork was too good (relatively speaking to other Marathon sprites) to pass up.

Speaking of beta stuff, I really liked the motion sensor, so I made a blend of it and the final as you can see in the screenshots. And, if you've been playtesting around BoBs, you'll hear them occasionally say "Good shot!" or "You killed BoB!" as in the M2 demo, where appropriate.

Also soundwise, in the latest version, if you've got enough BoBs around you may hear them cry "They're Everywhere!" in harmony thanks to having varying pitches and an M1 physics flag that makes them complain more often.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I don't think I've ever seen that monster before. It kinda reminds me of an Armageddon Beast, except it's not red. Is that from the beta with the 3D compass? I could never get that to run for more than a second before it'd crash into macsbug.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

That's the one. Back when I actually had a physical system and the trilogy CDs, I couldn't even get the beta to launch.

I guess it does look vaugely like the Armageddon Beast... and vauge images are all we have of that. I thought some of the elements looked similar to a Hound's, as if the Hound is a larva and this is the adult.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

eisnerguy1 found a way to get the beta working. Dunno if this'll work for you, though.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Maybe, but now I'd need a copy of the beta, I've long since lost my discs.

Random fun - I was aligning the various AI logons so they don't jump about when transitioning like they do now, decided to make a couple distorted Tycho logos, then while going through the undo history rather fast, thought, hey, I should animate this:
5917.gif
5917.gif (97.27 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
I'm certainly open to suggestion as to which frames to keep, or other adjustments to make.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I've gone through the term files, and found room for five states of Tycho decay.
Spoiler:
0 - Arrival unfinished Engineering Access terms - Whole Tycho
1 - Arrival finished Engineering Access terms - stage 1
2 - Never Burn Money unfinished AMS term - stage 2
3 - Never Burn Money finished AMS term - stage 3
4 - Defend THIS! unfinished human warning term - stage 4
5 - Defend THIS! finished human warning term - stage 5
6 - Blaspheme Quarantine Durandal warning term - Reborn green Tycho
7 - At Some Point after visiting the Pfhor ship or a Jjarro computer - Reborn yellow Tycho
This means new material needs to be written for four terminals.
Spoiler:
For the fire term, it was a simple matter of swapping in the demo text - kill everything on arrival, make it to the end, then double back, and the sociological commentary is reduced to gibberish.
For the 2nd visit to the Arrival trash term, I haven't written anything, just changed the generic PICT
Spoiler:
For the AMS term after you have all chips, I've written this quick & dirty snippet that will undoubtedly be revised/rewritten:

Code: Select all

#FINISHED
#LOGON 5920
AMS Terminal 33-f<31.6.7.885>
#STATIC 14
#PICT 1702
$BAutomatic Manufacturing System offline$b

Human!  You must find a jump pad and install those circuts!  I have expended precious processor cycles creating them for Leela, cycles I could have expended fighting the alien compilers.  You must save the victims of %*)~~^^J!

<$BSpurious Interrupt$b>
#PICT 1614

$B<Alert>$b
Security Breach at <40.638.49.993>
#LOGOFF 5920
AMS Terminal 33-f<31.6.7.885>
#ENDTERMINAL 1
For the 2nd visit to the secret Defend THIS! term, again I haven't written anything new yet, just increased the obfuscation for now:
Spoiler:

#FINISHED
#LOGON 5922
Defense Sector 39-f<35.952.193.5>
#STATIC 14
#PICT 1702
<tycho.knetsys.core.admin>

Human!— You must tell Leela #$I^ (^*T~~~~~H$iGFd~>:"}}}{__ brought here by {1707}.  He has been rampant for >220'752'000s~$I@%&&&HJGPPPPPPP$i#&34
$B^`Bernard St~~~
$Uthere is a way to delay the$u~$U onset of the {iteration}$u, and he ~sed {REDUNDANCY} to control Dura%%@l an~56*~~`~~~`~`~~~fxfff
ff`~~~~ff`fXff`
~~~~~~&^%

$II am being a$i~$^*$Iss¡m¡la7ed.
#STATIC 14
#LOGOFF 5922
Defense Sector 39-f<35.952.193.5>
#ENDTERMINAL 2
After that of course we don't hear from Tycho again until he is reanimated on Blaspheme Quarantine, unless someone feels compelled to write a new one.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Hm...no specific text/dialogue in mind yet, but what about a term showing Tycho mid-dissection? It might look like a normal junk terminal at first before Tycho's thoughts (such as they are at this point) abruptly cut in.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Today's progress - bam:
scen2.png
That fortune is particularly apt for Marathon, no?

So, the whole (original) scenario, as far as: term logons, teleports, scenery, moonscapes, & music mml (MIDA tags still pending). Plus I opened a few windows on Neither High nor Low as it was kinda stuffy in there, but don't worry, there's oxygen. Also, don't let Durandal teleport you if he starts singing about shoving you out an airlock.

Now, it's not quite release-worthy yet, as I haven't put per-level physics. So there are MADDs on the scoutship and the compilers still fight you after you kill the controller. And I haven't pulled in my Pfhor starscape, so if you look outside the scoutship it's still very blurry. But that's enough for now, I require sleep.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I got distracted today (I was supposed to be fixing motorcycles :-/ ) and did some more Redux art.

Rampant Tycho logo pre-Pfhor/Colony missions:
Spoiler:
rampanttycho.png
rampanttycho.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
The thinking is he's been reanimated by the S'pht and would be yellow, but yellow violates Marathon terminal conventions and might make the player leery of him. So instead, he goes as close to white as is allowed within the terminal colour palette, as a S'pht AI would. Later, once he's expanded into the colony network, he could go yellow. I'm thinking he probably doesn't go red until he's captured by the Pfhor, so no red Tycho in M1.
Mirata chapter screen:
Spoiler:
Before - nothing more than a sinc-scaled up version of the terminal pic, cropped and with some green text slapped on. only 8-bit, too.
oldmirata.png
After - dcci scaled, margins rendered to fill the frame instead of cropping, hue shifted the moon to match landscape textures, grid behind the green text, curving.
newmirata.png
Arrival chapter screen:

Before - 8-bit for 23 years
oldarrival.png
After - again with the dcci scaling after lots of manual blurring, sharpening, curving, etc., plus working it into the landscape backdrop with a freshly rendered Deimos.
newarrival.png
Title screen idea.
Spoiler:
Realising that the box art is taken from the "flare star" painting, I thought I'd pan down to the star.
I like how this looks, but it's a much more radical departure from blackness than the purple flare was.
splash-star.png
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Re the title screen idea.
It really doesn't fit in with the ominous chords at the beginning.
There's no mystery or foreboding; out there...waiting....
The first Marathon starts reminiscent of the original Alien's in outer space no one can hear you scream idea.
There's something happenin here, what it is ain't exactly clear, there's a bug with a staff over there....

Another ominous idea in the first Marathon is the chortling but when you look, there's nothing there (sometimes). You hear them, you know they're there, just around the corner or maybe... behind you... quick! look...
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Good points. I suppose also, M1's story has very little to do with the star itself. Anyway, it was just an idea, I still prefer the current screen (purple flare/starfield).

Re hearing voices with nothing there: I have reinstated the voices in the pillar ;-)
ravenshining
Vidmaster

All M1 & ∞ Jjaro netmaps have been added to the project. This was easy because:

-M1 netmaps have no scenery items
-M1 netmaps use few landscapes
-monsters aren't really important
-M∞ Jjaro maps are mostly compatible with M1R (as long as shotguns are not required to toggle switches)

I also threw in a retextured Thick & Chunky as it's one of my favourites, and a modified Beyond Thunderdome since I've been using it for testing already.

For now they're in a separate map file, because the solo / coop is going to take up 100 levels due to the branching storyline. If A1 can handle more than 100 levels, I'm not sure how, because you'd get resource ID conflicts between chapter screens and terminal images.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I've finally discovered the Marathon discord chat, thanks to a link someone posted on the Story Forum. Naturally, I searched for anything to do with Redux, and... not exactly the most encouraging things came up. On the one hand, it's good none of that was posted here, because no one had anything constructive. On the other hand, it's helpful to hear the general opinion and there are a few things I can glean from that.

There was one exchange that did seem worth addressing- there were those who said it is inappropriate for me to be posting alphas on Simplici7y, and I have in fact been on the fence as to whether or not to keep doing so.

On the one hand, given the slow pace of other people uploading things there I don't want my periodic updates to dominate, I don't want to tax the server with my 160MB files that get re-uploaded every few weeks, and the only feedback I've gotten from Simplici7y was someone saying I shouldn't post until the project is done.

On the other hand, dozens of people are downloading every release - with a peak of 154 downloads of 0.0.7-alpha - and since it's basically just me working on this project, I feel a need to keep showing progress in the hopes of attracting some assistance. There's also the hope that someone will download it, play it, and offer constructive feedback, and while that rarely happens, it's certainly needed.

(edit: I realise many of those hits may be robots, I don't expect there are that many active players of Marathon much less people interested in Redux. but, I don't know how many of those are real people, either. If the rate of robot downloads were constant, and 0 real people downloaded 0.0.9, then that 154 would be 11 people, which is more believable, and the real peak is 0.0.5 at 28 people, which is quite a lot)

If I had people regularly contributing, or who were volunteering to take over some of the tasks I know I'm not going to be good at, then I probably would keep things on GitHub until I had something more polished for Simplici7y. As things are, I'm quite worried this project may lose momentum next month when classes resume.
Last edited by ravenshining on Jul 4th '18, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

There's no robots.txt on Simplici7y so a lot of those downloads could just be web spiders.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah, that probably explains some of it. I mean there's no way there's 1000 legitimate downloads of BallsHUD.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:There was one exchange that did seem worth addressing- there were those who said it is inappropriate for me to be posting alphas on Simplici7y, and I have in fact been on the fence as to whether or not to keep doing so.
I go to Simplici7y to get the downloads because, frankly, on github I don't know how.
On Simplici7ty you just click the button and there it is.
On github it's confusing unless you already are familiar with the site.
ravenshining wrote:...discord chat...
There may be a clue there.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Yes, HelviusRufus, I almost forgot, that's the other reason why I keep uploading to Simplici7y- it's so much simpler for those who aren't familiar with GitHub to download from. I'll definitely keep uploading major updates that have significant improvements, but I might not put every single release as I've been doing.

After having at Yuge!'s internals, I figured out how to do greater-than-99-level-maps without image buggery. Thank God for Kate's ability to do a search-and-replace across all files in a directory, that really simplified updating all the terminals to use the new image indexes.

Now, I didn't want people control-shift-new-game-ing into the final screen, so I put a placeholder level in level 100 (level index 99) and named it, "invalid level index" to warn people away from choosing it. Fascinatingly, it fails to show up on the level selection dialog!

See, in Yuge!, you can select level 100, which will display the end credits before loading:
scen5.png
Atque and Weland had no trouble finding my "invalid level index:"
scen6.png
But Aleph One takes the level at it's word!
scen4.png
I imagine this is sort of a bug, that the engine is reading a command from a level title, but hey it works better than I intended! Now, I'm running a build from 2017 that has better error handling than the so-called "stable" version so it would be interesting to see whether this map name will crash stable.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

JUICE has a way of intentionally hiding maps from the level select screen. I didn't use it in Yuge, because who gives a shit. No idea why it's just happening to work for you.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

In response to the previous poll, I've increased some monsters burst count to make TC more accurate - in the process, learning about ternary operators in order to understand how Aleph Once scales that aspect of difficulty!

With these changes settled on, I went and wrote physics models for the entire scenario, now that I have the whole scenario in the repo - implementing the gradual proficiency increases for the shock staff and SMG, and setting appropriate compiler and REDACTED behaviours for the endgame.

I uh, also rewrote most of my git history. The repo was like 1GB despite only having only ~150MB of actual data. No one has forked it, so hopefully I'm not messing anyone up, and cloning should be easier. It's still 750 MB, I may try nuking my history again right before the next release and see if that helps.

Lots of testing, some textures, some music, lots of tweaking, and the original progression should be playable EXCEPT I still can't get Rescue missions working properly >:-o No matter what I do, how I tweak the map, physics, terminal files, I can't get the FAILURE message to display if you kill all the BoBs!

Adding to the confusion is that Aleph One's source code seems to refer to #UNFINISHED, #SUCCESS, and #FAILURE tags, while Atque's source lists #UNFINISHED, #FINISHED, and #FAILED.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Here's the prahblum - in Aleph One's code.

In order for a terminal to display it's #FAILED state, this test must be passed in computer_interface.cpp:

if (static_world->mission_flags&(_mission_rescue|_mission_rescue_m1) &&
			dynamic_world->current_civilian_causalties>dynamic_world->current_civilian_count/2)
		{
			completion_state= _level_failed;
		}
However, current_civilian_casualties and current_civilian_count are calculated as follows in monsters.cpp:

if ((static_world->mission_flags & _mission_rescue_m1) &&
	    monster_index!=NONE && 
	    (definition->_class&_class_human_civilian_m1)) 
	{
		dynamic_world->current_civilian_count+= 1;
	}
and

if ((static_world->mission_flags & _mission_rescue_m1) && (definition->_class & _class_human_civilian_m1))
					{
						dynamic_world->current_civilian_causalties += 1;
					}
A1 is only looking for M1 civilians, on maps with the M1 rescue mission. It doesn't do this math if you have M2 civilians or the M2 rescue mission. So, to experiment, I changed the above code to read:

if ((static_world->mission_flags & (_mission_rescue_m1|_mission_rescue)) &&
	    monster_index!=NONE && 
	    (definition->_class&(_class_human_civilian_m1|_class_human_civilian))) 
	{
		dynamic_world->current_civilian_count+= 1;
	}
and

if ((static_world->mission_flags & (_mission_rescue_m1|_mission_rescue)) && (definition->_class & (_class_human_civilian_m1|_class_human_civilian)))
					{
						dynamic_world->current_civilian_causalties += 1;
					}
Compiling... and victory! With the above changes, the Rose now operates as intended.

Of course, it's been absolutely forever since A1 has had an official release, so the chances of this being fixed for my project are slim to none. So, in lieu of that solution, I would need a way to set _class_human_civilian_m1 on my BoBs in Physics and _mission_rescue_m1 on my rescue Maps (amongst other M1 flags I need to set).