Weland 1.4.4

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
treellama
Vidmaster

Weland 1.4.4 is available from GitHub:

https://github.com/treellama/weland/releases/tag/v1.4.4

A few minor changes, most notably support for the original Marathon compatibility flags in Aleph One.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can Weland support mapping for Marathon 1 now?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

No screamernail it does not open M1 maps. But now it can do all the things M1 maps do! I think! Yeay, thanks Treelama! Now I don't have to muck about in Okteta or worry about whether my flags stay set [MUp]

Weland properly reading a level I had flagged by hand:
weland.png
I'm curious about $0200, "Activation Range." In the documentation I saw it labelled "M1 monster activation limits" and assumed it had to do with the number of active monsters, but "range" sounds like distances or polygons away from the player or activation noise? Hm. Also, saying just "Activation range" might mislead someone unfamiliar into thinking it has to do with the range of the action key, assuming that's not what it is.

Also $0020 "Ouch is Lava," with the previous description "the floor is lava" I assumed it made platforms flood, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption?
treellama
Vidmaster

Activation range changes the behavior of monster activation to match that in Marathon. I don't recall all the details, but scanning the code, it looks like it makes monster activation respect the weapon activation range, limits monster activation by polygon area and delta height, stops activation at monster impassible and closed doors, and prevents monsters from activating immediately at the start of a level.

Ouch is lava emulates the Marathon behavior for ouch polygons: it removes corpses and prevents monsters from going into the lava.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Oh, wow, I was wondering why all the BoBs in this one level I did were all making a beeline for the lava and getting themselves toasted. Thanks for the explanation!

Hm. Testing shows my theory wrong, too, lowered platforms next to ouch polygons still don't flood, regardless of whether the "Ouch is Lava" and/or "Locked Door" (which looks to be the same as M1 "floods") are set. That's fine for me, I'll just use liquid lava, but on the off chance anyone wants that behaviour, it seems to be unavailable.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thank you for Weland existing. :)

Having just tried opening it for the first time in ages, I needed to reinstall Mono to get it to run, and you might like to know that the URL in the readme for the Mac Mono download is 404. The current link appears to be:

http://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/
obsidianCarnageX12
Spazeroid

The editor crashes upon opening a map with M1 Flags .
here is a screenshot of the error.
Attachments
Screenshot of the Error
Screenshot of the Error
treellama
Vidmaster

That sharing violation may mean the file is open in another program. For example, I see Aleph One running on your taskbar!
obsidianCarnageX12
Spazeroid

Yep , found that out right after i posted .
MADDmike
Born on Board

treellama, why can't the Visual Mode be added to Weland? I tried to find a post on the Pfhorum about this but could not.
$lave

Adding a Visual Mode to Weland would basically mean writing lots and lots of code to replicate the functionality which already exists as AlephOne plug-ins (vasara/visual mode.lua). So it's possible but no one would gain much and it would cost a lot of time and effort.
MADDmike
Born on Board

Sorry for not being punctual to thank you for your answer, but Thanks $lave. But, this just brings up another question: Can you bring AlephOne and Weland together? Wasn't the visual mode in Forge a stript down engine of that Marathon 2 engine of the game?
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

$lave wrote:Adding a Visual Mode to Weland would basically mean writing lots and lots of code to replicate the functionality which already exists as AlephOne plug-ins (vasara/visual mode.lua). So it's possible but no one would gain much and it would cost a lot of time and effort.
They would gain something monumentally useful that visual mode has but Weland Visual mode for Aleph one and Vasara don't: click and drag polygon height adjustment. It's hard to set the right height in the 2D view without a 3D visual aid which is why Forge had it in visual mode as well as the 2D mode. https://youtu.be/E8yqfvNc0HM?t=576

It isn't as simple as the narrator in the video thinks, as it may not be obvious what the right height is and the lack of the caps lock and drag feature causes unnecessary frustration. First you have to map your room, add basic textures, close the map then load it in Aleph One, map the right textures and set texture effects and/or lights, save the edited map using an easily forgettable console command, go digging through to wherever Aleph One saves its main stuff like Screenshots, saved games etc., cut and paste it into the Weland location folder and load it up again.

It's an irritating, unwanted chore and it doesn't help if I decide to do some mapping on my windows copy for a change and find that Weland crashes every 10 seconds just by trying to draw lines that connect to vertices properly, which is why I prefer my Mac version. (speaking of which, the latest build doesn't work on my Mac and I don't know why. I made a separate thread about that)

I think the built in Visual Mode for Weland should be the same as Vasara as it is more user friendly than the one based directly on the original visual mode but have the click and drag feature as well.
Pfhorrest wrote:Thank you for Weland existing. :)

Having just tried opening it for the first time in ages, I needed to reinstall Mono to get it to run, and you might like to know that the URL in the readme for the Mac Mono download is 404. The current link appears to be:

http://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/
Speaking of my aside above about this build not working on my Mac, that might be my problem. Do I need to use newer builds of Mono or just reinstall the current one?

EDIT: Never mind the bit about the new Weland not working on Mac. I reinstalled Mono using the version in the link above and it's working now.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Weland 1.4 doesn't appear to support plugins originally intended for Weland 1.2, is Weland 1.2 still available for download?

It would be useful if I had a separate Weland for plugin usage.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

nokia.png
nokia.png (18.95 KiB) Viewed 5117 times