Aleph One 1.3b1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
treellama
Vidmaster

TrajansRow wrote:git checkout newClipPlanes
I will give that a try, thanks! I had just starting looking into moving the clipping planes into the vertex shader last night, but realized I'd need to relearn 3D math first.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Turns out the line in the shader which asks for clipping, was disabled due to a bug in old Mesa implementations. I took out that workaround and my Linux box no longer has untextured portals. Hopefully that fixes your machine too, treellama - it's the latest commit in master.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhorrest wrote: if I'm running/swimming while turning left, it switches me out of game to the desktop, and then control-right will switch me back. I'm guessing AO is using Spaces on OSX, which I don't really use
Yep, that's it. You can go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Mission Control and turn off those keyboard shortcuts. The window setup code is tricky enough already, I don't see myself adding more options there, sorry.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

ravenshining wrote:there's no longer separate horizontal and vertical mouse sensitivity!? Alas!
IIRC the XML prefs are still there, you can edit them in text and they should stick as long as you don't use the Controls dialog. What values were you using before?
ravenshining wrote:Does this mean no using 3D models without the depth testing bug
I don't keep up with the Pfhorums, can I get a link to better understand the problems?
treellama
Vidmaster

The depth testing "bug" is the Z-buffer clipping explosions/ricochet effects against floors / walls. It can be turned off in classic, if not using 3D models, but I think it has to be on for shader.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Hopper wrote:IIRC the XML prefs are still there, you can edit them in text and they should stick as long as you don't use the Controls dialog. What values were you using before?
Ah, thank goodness! Okay, after manually setting them things are working, and it looks like it sticks so long as I don't visit the Controls pane of the preferences, which is good because as a scenario developer I'm constantly changing my environment prefs.

Before, I had it set to 0.200 horizontal and 0.100 vertical. Now, if I set it to 0.070, and then manually cut the vertical in half in the preferences file, it feels the same.

I don't understand why one would remove that preference, but as long as there's a workaround, it's okay. I still might go back to 1.3 alpha because this beta is just crashing way too often. If my backtraces are any help though, I'll stick with it!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Do any other games have separate sliders for horizontal and vertical sensitivity? I feel like needing them is a clear sign something is wrong.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Other games?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I think, though I'm not certain, that Vasara cannot align adjacent floors (or ceilings?) in AO1.3b1, and that that's what's generating the errors Lia mentioned above (that I've been getting too).
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Yes, Lua barfs quite consistently when attempting to align a floor or ceiling texture, which it did not do in 1.3a1, whereas wall textures don't seem to be affected. Particularly, if I'm using high-res textures or attempting to place a texture with a special transfer mode like pulsate, it will reliably crash.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:Do any other games have separate sliders for horizontal and vertical sensitivity?
Other games probably don't use different precision for transmitting mouse pitch/yaw either. Or angular velocity.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

OK, but can't you derive the correct sensitivity for one based on the sensitivity of the other?
treellama
Vidmaster

Well, I don't know what correct means, but I do use the same sensitivity for both myself.

When at full acceleration, pitch/yaw angular acceleration are the same, which is what I think you're asking.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

One thing I've noticed, if you don't have a theme in your Plugins folder, you get the error:
Please be sure the files 'Map', 'Shapes', 'Images' and 'Sounds' are correctly installed and try again.

Not sure if this is expected, but if themes are required now, the message should probably be updated.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Something with lua definitely broke. I think others have brought this up, but here's a script that demonstrates some major issues:

Code: Select all

Triggers = {}

function Triggers.idle()
    for p in Polygons[0]:adjacent_polygons() do

end
end
A project I'm (slowly) working on makes heavy use of Lua, and this is only the first problem I've run into with this new build. Hopefully there's just some common bug affecting all of the Lua problems, otherwise I may have a whole stream of Lua issues to report if they get fixed one at a time.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:One thing I've noticed, if you don't have a theme in your Plugins folder, you get the error:
Please be sure the files 'Map', 'Shapes', 'Images' and 'Sounds' are correctly installed and try again.

Not sure if this is expected, but if themes are required now, the message should probably be updated.
https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/alephone/pull/97
https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/a ... /issues/98
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

1.3b2 is out now, with (attempted) fixes for:
  • No sound under Windows
  • Broken Lua APIs including adjacent_polygons()
  • Failure to launch when no theme is loaded
  • Custom loading screen display
  • Backwards scroll wheel behavior in lists
  • Clip plane issues under Linux Mesa drivers
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Awesome, thanks! Lua is working much better now.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

How do you completely disable the mouse? I can see where you can turn mouse aiming off, but mouse buttons still work under "actions", and there's no obvious way to unassign the buttons.
madboi.png
madboi.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
Edit: Oh, apparently you hit esc while assigning the button. I'd suggest automatically unassigning mouse buttons if mouse aiming is off. I guess this works though.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:How do you completely disable the mouse? I can see where you can turn mouse aiming off, but mouse buttons still work under "actions", and there's no obvious way to unassign the buttons.
madboi.png
Edit: Oh, apparently you hit esc while assigning the button. I'd suggest automatically unassigning mouse buttons if mouse aiming is off. I guess this works though.
I imagine some people could conceivably play without mouse look, but still want the buttons. For example, my machine has three trackpad buttons located immediately below the spacebar such that they're almost part of the keyboard. I can't imagine this scenario is MORE likely than *cough* someone wanting to adjust X and Y sensitivity independently, mind you.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Well, right. I think it'd be less common to want to use mouse buttons without being able to aim, than just disabling the whole mouse. So like, it'd automatically unassign the mouse buttons when you change the aiming to "off", but you could still go back and assign them again if you really want to?

I don't know, I don't have a real strong opinion, just throwing out an idea.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

It has come to my attention that all of the starting terminals in Mararthon: Yuge (the bigliest scenario ever created) are broken in the beta version of AlephOne. They work just fine in the latest stable. They would be terminal 0, if that matters.

???????

disloke
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Tried out beta 2 tonight. The loading screens work perfectly now (I'd forgotten I'd blindly implemented multi-colored ones some time after they stopped working; that was a fun surprise to see!). Also Vasara didn't give me any difficulty tonight so maybe the Lua thing is fixed too.

Thanks again Hopper!
treellama
Vidmaster

Yeah, the mouse is still jacked up in Linux. I haven't been able to get the Aleph One 1.2 feel yet. Some observations:
  1. Raw input is still using the OS acceleration. If I switch to the "Flat" acceleration profile (libinput) that helps a bit.
  2. I have to crank the speed way down in order to get the yaw (left-right) speed right; at 1.0 just touching the mouse sends me spinning. But with the mouse speed down at 0.5 the pitch (up-down) speed feels too low. This might be ravenshining's problem too. I remember these being much closer to each other in earlier releases (or? earlier versions of Ubuntu?). Pitch feels extra jerky too.
  3. The mouse works great in mac OS as far as I can tell. Raw input is great, speed at 1.0 matches my taste. So this is a Linux Ubuntu 18.04 or Linux SDL issue.
  4. Mouse in Windows seems to work fine as well
  5. It's been so long since I played, take this all with a grain of salt
treellama
Vidmaster

Hopper wrote:
  • Clip plane issues under Linux Mesa drivers
This is working better for me, thanks. Haven't tried TrajansRow's fork.