Dr Sumner’s account

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
The Man
Vidmaster

Dr Sumner apparently registered here a long time ago, but isn’t able to recall his username or password. When he tries to make a new account, he’s informed that his email address is already in use, and apparently the password recovery isn’t working (IDK if you need your username to login or what). His email address is jsumner (at sign) ut (full stop) edu. (Split up to hopefully lessen the amount of email spam.)

Anyway, if someone could figure out what’s going on and solve it, both of us would appreciate it.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
$lave

Unfortunately I can't find any account tied to that e-mail address; searching yields nothing. Do either of you know the username (or any potential usernames) or any other related info? If I can actually find the account then I should be able to help you.
The Man
Vidmaster

He doesn’t remember what username he’d used. IDK why it’s telling him that he’s already registered then; that’s weird. Can you just make a new account with that email address, PM me the password, and I’ll pass it along to him? Or you could just PM him the password yourself; either way. If you have some better idea, I’ll pass that info along instead.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
$lave

I just enabled e-mail address re-use. Let me know if he can register a new account now.
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks. I just emailed him informing him of this; we’ll see if that worked.

The Man
Vidmaster

He was able to sign up, but hasn’t yet received a confirmation email. Does that sometimes take awhile?

$lave

Hmmmm as far as that's concerned I have no idea, you'd have to contact Switch :c
The Man
Vidmaster

how would i do that? just pm or is there a more reliable way?

alternately is there a way to just manually activate his account? i know that’s possible on vbulletin depending upon admin permissions but i haven’t adminned a phpbb in 15+ years

$lave

Alright if he was "DrJohn" then I approved the account. Still nothing came up for the e-mail, presumably because I can only search for already approved members by e-mail. If it isn't DrJohn then let me know the actual username 'cause there are about 900 other accounts pending approval.
treellama
Vidmaster

$lave wrote:there are about 900 other accounts pending approval.
Slacker
The Man
Vidmaster

Via email:
Aaron yes that was the one I submitted last week.
And:
When I try to login, it still says that account is currently inactive.
¯\(°_o)/¯

I need some sleep. Maybe I’ll be able to think of a coherent explanation for what’s going on after I’ve slept some.

$lave

Hmmm manually set the account to activated now. We'll get there eventually ._.
treellama wrote:Slacker
WELL!
DrJohn
Born on Board

Thanks to everyone! My account is now active and I can post.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Glad to have you here :-)
The Man
Vidmaster

Yay! Glad it finally worked. Thanks for sorting everything out, $lave.

ravenshining
Vidmaster

Huzzah!
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Hey there, Dr. Sumner! : )
welcome to the scene of the crash