How do I compile Weland 1.4.4?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

I apparently need to do this in order to properly install plugins so they work with newer versions of Weland than they were coded for, but I have no idea how to do it and googling how to compile the C# source code files for them just throws up random Visual C# jargon I don't understand as I've never used it before and never needed to (until now, apparently). The plugin source code readme instructions for compiling them are far too vague, not user friendly at all:

"Just drop these folders into the same directory as Weland, go into each plugin directory and type "make"."

What the hell does that mean? Trying that using either "make" or "makefile" like the file is actually called in the command line does nothing, windows explorer does nothing (though that is more obvious), it doesn't list what sort of program I need, and I doubt I will find ready compiled versions of Weland 1.4.4 online with the plugins I want. (though links to such are even more welcome)

The plugins in question are:

1. Visual Mode (Most important! Vasera I can use in-game for adjustment and texture effect settings)

2. 5D Intersections

3. CirclePlugin

4. Stair Generator (Treelama warned me this one isn't very good, but it might be worth seeing how useful it is first
hand, especially if the visual mode plugin does not allow height adjustment in 3D, unlike the original Forge
version. The 3D height adjustment is important as I need it to make my maps efficiently. The digit based method
should only be in emergencies or minor adjustments)

5. Resize (not sure exactly how useful this one is)

I'll need clear, easy to understand and execute instructions for doing this in both Windows 10 and Mac OSX High Sierra, especially the latter as that is my main machine for Marathon map making.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know why TL hates the stair generator so much. It does exactly what it says it does. Is it useful if you want a staircase with 4 stairs? No. Is it useful if you want a staircase with 20+ stairs? Yes.

I've mostly used it for super weird stuff like fishtank gradients though.

My detailed instructions would be: use linux.
treellama
Vidmaster

Yeah I've never compiled Weland in Windows, so I can't help you there. On mac OS it's the same as on Linux, you just install Mono and type "make"
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

treellama wrote:Yeah I've never compiled Weland in Windows, so I can't help you there. On mac OS it's the same as on Linux, you just install Mono and type "make"
Thanks. I'll do that on my Mac. I'm sure mono is installed as that's what Weland needs to run on Mac.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:I don't know why TL hates the stair generator so much. It does exactly what it says it does. Is it useful if you want a staircase with 4 stairs? No. Is it useful if you want a staircase with 20+ stairs? Yes.

I've mostly used it for super weird stuff like fishtank gradients though.

My detailed instructions would be: use linux.
I don't have Linux.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Lion O Cyborg wrote:googling how to compile the C# source code files for them just throws up random Visual C# jargon I don't understand
your search is too specific. you just need to know how to compile source code in general, not C#.
Lion O Cyborg wrote:Trying that using either "make" or "makefile" like the file is actually called in the command line does nothing
make is a command, not a file, for compiling code. if you don't have a compiler installed, as I imagine probably only windows doesn't, it won't do anything. so find and install one.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:
Lion O Cyborg wrote:googling how to compile the C# source code files for them just throws up random Visual C# jargon I don't understand
your search is too specific. you just need to know how to compile source code in general, not C#.
Lion O Cyborg wrote:Trying that using either "make" or "makefile" like the file is actually called in the command line does nothing
make is a command, not a file, for compiling code. if you don't have a compiler installed, as I imagine probably only windows doesn't, it won't do anything. so find and install one.
Can mono framework be used for compiling? Meaning that I can simply type "make" in the directories on my Mac and it will work then? I don't need to install anything special to allow mono to compile code? If I do, then what is the best one to use? This last part can apply for windows too, as it probably doesn't have compilers ready installed and if it does I don't know where they are/which one to use.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

OK, I've put the plugin source files on my Mac, the required DLL files too, opened Makefile in the terminal and installed the necessary developer tools when it asked to. (despite mono already being installed) They are all in the Weland 1.4.4 plugins folder.

The compile failed immediately. Here is the error text in the terminal:

Last login: Sun Feb 10 15:09:41 on ttys000
administrators-MacBook-Pro:~ Michael$ /Applications/Aleph\ One/weland-1.4.4/Plugins/VisualMode/Makefile ; exit;
/Applications/Aleph One/weland-1.4.4/Plugins/VisualMode/Makefile: line 3: all:: command not found
/Applications/Aleph One/weland-1.4.4/Plugins/VisualMode/Makefile: line 5: VisualMode.dll:: command not found
clang: error: no input files
/Applications/Aleph One/weland-1.4.4/Plugins/VisualMode/Makefile: line 6: -r:../Weland.exe;System.Drawing.dll: No such file or directory
mv: rename VISUALMODE.dll to ../Plugins: No such file or directory
/Applications/Aleph One/weland-1.4.4/Plugins/VisualMode/Makefile: line 9: clean:: command not found
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Can anyone make sense of that, what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it? (telling me to use Linux doesn't count; I don't have linux and don't want it. The only one I ever used was Kali, as part of cyber security class)

Actually typing make in the directory just highlights the makefile command in the directory and sometimes tries to rename it "make".
ravenshining
Vidmaster

it looks like you're still making the same mistakes I warned you about in your other other thread, trying to enter commands into a file explorer, thinking files are commands, and not knowing how to navigate a terminal. from the look of your output, it looks like you went there in a file explorer, right clicked on something and chose "open in terminal." that is not at all what you need to be doing. have you done any basic reading on how to compile programs like I asked?

making duplicate topics is rude even on an active forum.
making triplicate topics on a quiet form and not following the directions people give you?
just don't do it.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:it looks like you're still making the same mistakes I warned you about in your other other thread, trying to enter commands into a file explorer, thinking files are commands, and not knowing how to navigate a terminal. from the look of your output, it looks like you went there in a file explorer, right clicked on something and chose "open in terminal." that is not at all what you need to be doing. have you done any basic reading on how to compile programs like I asked?

making duplicate topics is rude even on an active forum.
making triplicate topics on a quiet form and not following the directions people give you?
just don't do it.
How about this then? I looked up how to compile with mono again (Yes, I actually had looked it up before but the search just gave me pages of C# jargon I don't understand instead of actual help) and this time along with poking around I saw I wasn't even in mono in the error I posted.

Here are my sources:

https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about ... es/csharp/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/514 ... -its-there

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/325 ... n-terminal

After looking at those and finding mono in the frameworks section of my root folder, it occurred to me then to actually activate the framework in the command line as I don't actually know how frameworks work. I've only used Metasploit and Armitage on Kali in the tech lab at college as part of Cyber Security class and those have their own custom terminal.

So I opened the folder in a new terminal, actually activated mono this time by typing "mono" and then typed make.

At first it still failed as it couldn't find Weland.exe but that was an easy fix: I moved the folder -and when that didn't work, the files in it instead- to the exe location in the app package. It sort of worked, but not really as it gave me this:

Last login: Mon Feb 11 12:20:19 on ttys000
administrators-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Michael$ make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
administrators-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Michael$

Bear in mind that mono was active this time when I typed that so the mcs compiler should have been too. What's going on now?

Side note:

Also, no it is not rude to post twice if nobody responds to my question. If I knew someone would respond to this one, then I wouldn't have made the second post. I've been left hanging on topics I desperately need help with before in other forums. Usually though weeks or months pass before I post another time. I just wasn't thinking straight this time.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

If no one posts, it's because they have nothing to say. You posting multiple times isn't going to change that.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:If no one posts, it's because they have nothing to say. You posting multiple times isn't going to change that.
*clears throat* Can we stay on topic please? The second terminal log I posted in my previous post here (after actually activating mono and attempting to use it properly this time like I was told); what does it mean? Mono was active when I tried using the make command properly so the mcs compiler should have been too.

Why did it appear to do nothing when I compiled it?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Try compiling weland itself first. I think that makefile is probably set up to compile on mac if TL says it works the same as linux. If you get that working, you've got the compilation process working.

If you want to compile the plugins themselves, you'll probably have to edit the makefile, because I didn't do anything to make it work for macs, as I don't have a mac or know what would have to be done.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:Try compiling weland itself first. I think that makefile is probably set up to compile on mac if TL says it works the same as linux. If you get that working, you've got the compilation process working.

If you want to compile the plugins themselves, you'll probably have to edit the makefile, because I didn't do anything to make it work for macs, as I don't have a mac or know what would have to be done.
Ah. I thought I was compiling Weland and including the plugins. I'll hunt down the Weland source code and see. Would it be wise to sneak the source for the plugins into the weland source code's plugin directory as well? I doubt it will work, but that's mostly because I'm not very good at the more advanced parts of computing e.g. programming.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

RIght, I tried compiling Weland itself from its source code like W'rkncacnter said. It seems to have worked, I think:

administrators-MacBook-Pro:weland-1.4-2.4 Michael$ make
mcs @weland.rsp
make -C Plugins
mcs -r:../Weland.exe -target:library EnumerateTags.cs
mcs -r:../Weland.exe -target:library Shade.cs
administrators-MacBook-Pro:weland-1.4-2.4 Michael$

If it has, according to that terminal log in mono, where do compiled projects made with mcs on Mac save on the system? Or do I have to save it manually first when the above mcs text appears?

EDIT: OK, It did seem to compile alright as I'm sure the executable in the source file wasn't there before I did the terminal business, but OSX seems to think it's a Windows executable when I try to run it. Odd. Any idea how to make it work on Mac? I think I did something wrong again but I don't know what.

EDIT 2: (CAUTION! ANGRY RANT AHEAD)

OK, I found I was going about it wrong: I used the command "Mono Weland.exe" and it works! However, I'm rather disappointed in visual mode, which is a tool I need to make my maps effectively: Trying to activate it just brings up the VISUALMODE.png from the source folder. All the other plugins i compiled from lolplugins are legit, but the Visual Mode one seems to be fake; nothing more than a really basic rickroll prank.

To the lolplugins creator who made that particular visual mode: Unless there is a way to actually activate a visual mode function with this plugin ala Forge that I missed, was the inclusion of visual mode in lolplugins in the first place supposed to be a joke? IT WASN'T FUNNY! >:(

The reason I downloaded lolplugins to begin with was for visual mode, because I need a visual aid to show me what I'm doing, as having to open Aleph One itself, apply my textures, save the project in the Aleph One directory using a very easy to forget console command, fish it out of where it was saved and put it back in the Weland folder, re-open it and continue from there is just pointlessly complicated, whereas other editors like Tomb Editor and even the original Forge don't have that problem.

I'd love a version of Vasara that is a plugin for Weland itself, meaning I get the same benefits without the aforementioned faffing about. Another benefit of this would be implementing Forge visual mode's 3D height adjustment, which is the main thing I about it that I require: the digit based height system is hard to wrap my head around, leading to entering and viewing my map in-game a lot just to see if the heights are right.

The Forge visual mode click and drag polygon height system used by other editors like the aforementioned Tomb Engine would really help me with getting it right, as then I could see for myself if the height looks right in-engine without actually running the game, and opening it in the game itself would only then need to be for playtesting to see if it works well, though Visual Mode in Forge could also do that to a limited degree.

I apologise for the rant this post edit devolved into but I am upset as I was really looking forward to a less clunky texturing option than the ones requiring the game itself to be run. At least I can put the other plugins to good use, but still, the fake visual mode was a serious dick move.
Last edited by Lion O Cyborg on Feb 11th '19, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Code: Select all

mono Weland.exe
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

treellama wrote:

Code: Select all

mono Weland.exe
Thank you. :) I did that just now and it worked!

However, the Visual Mode plugin I actually wanted to use was a rickroll style bait and switch prank all along. :(

Read the edit 2 portion of my post at your own risk: the latter part of it is just me venting my perturbed criticism of said visual mode prank.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:rekt
What the hell does that mean? Also, it's spelled "wrecked".
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:rekt
Haha
The Man
Vidmaster

"rekt" is gamer slang, kinda like a newer variant of "pwned".

Anyway, from my understanding, implementing Visual Mode in Weland would require maintaining an entire fork of Aleph One tailored specifically to Weland, and ain't nobody got time for that. Seriously - there are so many issues with Aleph One itself that no one has time to make a second set of source code that would require its own maintenance. Because of that, I kinda figured the Visual Mode plugin was a joke. I hate passing levels back and forth between Weland and Aleph One too, but I find it helps to add the date to file names in order to keep track of the latest revisions.

This thread may still be helpful as I never did get the plugins to compile, so thanks to everyone for that. I'll probably try following these directions at some point.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know why you're so angry. Never did it say anywhere that the visual mode plugin was meant to be used to texture maps. It's exactly what it sounds like: a mode that has visuals, and it was originally ported over from JUICE. You only have yourself to blame for any ridiculous expectations you might have had.

By the way, if you're a fan of that VISUAL MODE plugin, you'll love the song from this EP: http://simplici7y.com/items/kill-me-ep.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

The Man wrote:"rekt" is gamer slang, kinda like a newer variant of "pwned".

Anyway, from my understanding, implementing Visual Mode in Weland would require maintaining an entire fork of Aleph One tailored specifically to Weland, and ain't nobody got time for that. Seriously - there are so many issues with Aleph One itself that no one has time to make a second set of source code that would require its own maintenance. Because of that, I kinda figured the Visual Mode plugin was a joke. I hate passing levels back and forth between Weland and Aleph One too, but I find it helps to add the date to file names in order to keep track of the latest revisions.

This thread may still be helpful as I never did get the plugins to compile, so thanks to everyone for that. I'll probably try following these directions at some point.
That makes sense. I hope the compile parts were helpul. Still wish I could get an actual visual mode but there's always wishful thinking and the future. Back to Vasara for me.
Wrkncacnter wrote:I don't know why you're so angry.

By the way, if you're a fan of that VISUAL MODE plugin, you'll love the song from this EP: http://simplici7y.com/items/kill-me-ep.
I'm just annoyed that I thought I found a less clunky way of texturing maps and it turned out to be a bad joke. Doesn't matter. I'm over it now, plus the other plugins are real so it's not all bad.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

It's theoretically possible to edit heights in Aleph One. I even attempted to write a script to do so, but there are serious problems with it. Hopefully, someday someone will figure out the necessary math and lua for it to work right, but don't hold your breath.

My apologies for my complicity in allowing you to suffer the visual mode prank and the frustrations you've endured. Now that you can compile Weland, I hope my being vauge taught you more than if I were to simply state how I do things on Linux, which apparently are not how you need to do them on Mac anyway.
doctorbenjiphd
Cyborg

Since you were able to compile all this stuff into Weland, you should just upload the result here so I don't have to go through the same process you did to get a circle generator working in 1.4.4.