Major iOS updates are now available!

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Hopefully this won’t put too much more load on the meat server. Between the convenience of mobile, and the meatspy bot, I expect we can get even more people joining online games.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marathon-1/id419805412‬
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maratho ... 421697209‬
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maratho ... 422775548‬
treellama
Vidmaster

It's been seven years, you would think the guy has made back his developer license fees tenfold by now. I would really like to see those in-app purchases go away.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Fortunately it’s just a donate button now... But yeah, I was originally opposed to that too - If only because StoreKit integration just complicates things. I changed my mind though when I saw that the MoltenGL license was going to cost $1500 annually.
treellama
Vidmaster

All the more reason to switch to Vulkan :)
TrajansRow
Born on Board

and I would’ve done it, too... except that Vulkan is the graphics API equivalent of the ALS Challenge. Sure, it’s unifying efforts to solve an important problem, but it’s about as fun as taking an ice bucket to the face.
treellama
Vidmaster

The port is not using MoltenGL now is it!? ES still works on iPhones for now.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Not yet, but it’s on the wish list. The ES2/3 renderer (I’m trying to keep them interchangeable) is about 90% done. When it’s ready, I will probably just release it as-is. If by some miracle we can actually include MoltenGL for the project, it will bring down power draw and open up some of the more advanced effects to a broader range of devices (not to mention provide some insurance should OpenGL disappear in a future iOS release).
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

TrajansRow wrote:Hopefully this won’t put too much more load on the meat server. Between the convenience of mobile, and the meatspy bot, I expect we can get even more people joining online games.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marathon-1/id419805412‬
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maratho ... 421697209‬
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maratho ... 422775548‬
Unfortunately unlike the older Marathon IOS builds, the controls suck, rendering them unplayable as I found out when I tried playing the new Marathon 1 ios last night:

It loves to try and force tilt aiming whenever it can especially when firing or punching, the trigger buttons are far too small and difficult to actually push, there's always some kind of weird table icon with arrows under the triggers that doesn't do anything if you press it and makes your aim go off if you swipe it instead, and the standard swipe aiming is a little too sensitive at times. Not to mention the buttons are far too small so it's possible to miss them entirely.

I love how it has the XBLA style HUD but why couldn't it use the same button icons/button placement from the old Ios versions? Those ones were one of the only ios touch interfaces I've ever used that aren't shit. The aiming in that interface is the same idea as you drag on the world view, but it handles better than the current ios versions as it isn't too sensitive. All it needs is the vertical look lock when moving removed to allow grenade jumping and to get rid of the auto use when moving up to switches as it's possible to read terminals without intending to just by walking up to them and on the older builds at least, you are locked in and can't escape out again like you can on Xbox, PC and Mac.

The Not Shit Marathon ios icons I mean are those ones:

Just do that with the XBLA HUD, optionally with the map icon being the new version's minimap one unchanged and it should be fine.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Where were you during the beta test? :)

Anyway, the trigger buttons are gone because it was the single most complained about feature in the old version. You couldn’t fire and aim at the same time (which was sort of a problem) nor could you fire both modes simultaneously with one thumb.

I think the thing you’re talking about is the optional tilt controller. It’s described in Help, but it basically turns the player when your finger is resting on it and you tilt the device; swipe up left, center, or right to fire.

Since you are used to the old version, maybe glance through the help screen to get a sense of what the changes are (it explains how to adjust sensitivity, turn off auto re-center, etc.), and give the default controls another chance. Aim by swiping the screen and using the gyro. Tap to shoot (just as you would in Fortnite, et al.) or use 3D Touch. And of course, tap-and-hold to fire automatically.

Now, I do plan to add a few extra buttons in an upcoming revision. Other people have also mentioned the lack of escape key, and I will probably put in some sort of alternate trigger buttons, too.
CptBlackthorne
Spazeroid

Thank you for working on this, it made my day! Is controller support in the works? Thanks!
TrajansRow
Born on Board

A few other people have asked about controller support, so it’s on the to-do list. I will probably need to buy one myself in order to develop the feature - I don’t personally know anyone who has a mobile controller.

Hope you are having fun!
eisnerguy1
Born on Board

Thanks for updating the iOS versions! Any chance for Android versions? Would love to play these on my Nvidia Shield TV :D
TrajansRow
Born on Board

People ask this pretty often... I think an Android version would be great, but I’m not in a position to start a project like that right now. However, I would contribute if someone else were to take the initiative on it.