Is Marathon Shadervoid canon to the Marathon story?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
asdkzx123
Spazeroid

Where does Shadervoid fit into the Marathon story?
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

It's a Kafka dream.*

*Franz.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Shadervoid is the first level of hell in the mararthon canon. For reference, MPID is the 7th level of hell.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

I haven't gone through it all but I'm mighty sure that everything can be canon in Marathon.

Mickey Mouse took up his gun and fired at the Pfhor. It's canon.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:Shadervoid is the first level of hell in the mararthon canon. For reference, MPID is the 7th level of hell.
The funny thing is that I at first thought of using Marathon: Pathways Into Darkness as the base for Shadervoid before I decided on using Project Conflict instead.
Please donate to NEFX today. https://ko-fi.com/adminn1nefx
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:For reference, MPID is the 7th level of hell.
Would Dave be the 9th?
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:44 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 13:22 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB
Twitch
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

TBCR wrote: Would Dave be the 9th?
You know, I don't think I've ever actually looked at Dave. But I did see this review:
Adminn_1 wrote: Bilge

It'd be great if I could get a job in my field soon. Instead I have to look at this.
If even Adminn is ripping on it, it must be pretty bad. That's impressive.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

I actually don't think I even played that. I think the reason why I posted that review is that I was following the law of manifestation that my review of YugePax invoked (saying it'd be great that Mararthon: Yuge happened actually lead to it happening), and reasoned that mentioning something I wanted that was unrelated to Marathon would work out better if it was in a negative review. So I searched for some of the worst-reviewed items on Simplici7y, and honed in on the Dave demo because it was from 2010 and hadn't been reviewed for sometime anyway. It was a safe option.

I only just now saw that Dave's Epic Adventure (the prequel to that demo, it seems) is a Marathon mod that uses Pathways Into Darkness stuff. That's amazing, although I'm slightly disappointed to see that this means my map "Recombinant Showdowns of Ascension" was not the first level of this sort.

So in actuality, the scenario seems like the sort of thing I would love to play. I look forward to it! [MLaugh] [a1logo]
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Screamernail wrote:I haven't gone through it all but I'm mighty sure that everything can be canon in Marathon.

Mickey Mouse took up his gun and fired at the Pfhor. It's canon.
It can only be canon if he fired seven times. [MTongue]
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Why the actual fuck is Dave still being mentioned after all this time? Let the black hole that is the internet let that piece of garbage disappear for no one to remember. My naive self of past should of never let such an abomination exist. My 22 year old self will admit this now.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I shall fade into the shadows yet again. I’m hoping next week I’ll get to use the 50 cal at the range next week. Hooah army stuff and whatnot.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Well, I did play through a bit of Dave's Epic Adventure and am saving the full playthrough for a YouTube video at some point. It's pretty good stuff -- I like how it takes a madcap slaughtermap approach to PID combat/environment. That hasn't really been done before that I'm aware of, even with my M:PID level. I'm not sure how different Dave demo is, but if it's close to that it might be worth checking out.

Anyway though, the Marathon community doesn't really forget anything. Just check out Mararthon: Yuge and some of the weird inside jokes between community veterans. Any ridiculous thing a member did, even if it was as a preteen in the mid-2000's, gets made into a permanent laughing stock. It's pretty strange.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Anyway though, the Marathon community doesn't really forget anything. Just check out Mararthon: Yuge and some of the weird inside jokes between community veterans. Any ridiculous thing a member did, even if it was as a preteen in the mid-2000's, gets made into a permanent laughing stock. It's pretty strange.

God help me
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Screamernail wrote:God help me
phil wrote:"The Divine Machinery has a peculiar brutality to it," she finished.
"It isn't romantic. It's cruel; it really is."

"Because there is so much at stake," Elias said.

"What is at stake?" Rybys said.

"The universe exists because THE LORD remembers it," Elias said.
"If THE LORD forgets, the universe ceases."

"Can he forget?" Rybys said.

"He has yet to forget," Elias said elliptically.