Unparalleled in the history of the universe

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

There seems to be a new look to the Pfhorums. New looks happen all the time, but this one is different.
Everything is still readable. Everything is where it was before. Everything is doable as it was before.
You don't have to learn a lot o new procedures to use it. You don't have to go around looking for where (...) was moved to.
Just like Marathon, it always gets better.
Tres clamores for those who wrought this wonder.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Ehh... I find myself having to squint to see the tiny text underneath the giant bright blue headings, and I really miss the alternating black/dark grey backgrounds that made the organisation immediately clear. The layout is not as bad as it was at certain points in its early history, but it's a step backward for me.

Or, at least that's been my impression thus far. I pulled up the previous iteration on archive.org to compare, and... I guess the text isn't actually smaller? It feels like it because I'm looking for grey text on a grey background immediately next to a bright blue rectangle.

It looks like there are some new features now I guess? I take it someone wanted them and that's why it changed, so, great for them.
The Man
Vidmaster

Two big reasons, if I had to hazard guesses:
  1. Security. Never a good idea to be running old, unpatched versions of software that are probably not even supported any longer.
  2. Not a complete nightmare to navigate on mobile devices.
There are things about the style I definitely liked better in the old version, but I think the text just seems smaller because it’s a full-width design, which always makes text seem smaller IME. On the plus side, it runs, and patching security vulnerabilities is a net plus.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

• When zoomed so the same number of topics appear on the screen, the text on the new version is 13% smaller, because there's more wasted space between lines.
  • There's less hinting between topics. Two iterations ago, there was this subtle 3D effect so things jumped out at you, even if it was only 2 pixels thick. The previous iteration had alternating light-and-dark bands between each topic. This one just has an invisible 1 pixel black line, which I can only tell is there if I put my face right up to the monitor, zoom in on a screenshot, or turn my gamma down to 1.0.
  • The previous versions also had post titles and user names either in different columns or in different colours.
Most of those aren't too bad on their own, but a lot of little things add up to decreased readability.

But sure, security is good I guess. And reading actual posts is fine. Perusing topics legibly would be a problem if this place was active, but it's not really.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

"But sure, security is good I guess."

Indeed, no more do I see the red Not Secure warnin when logginin
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Zott
Vidmaster

ravenshining wrote: Sep 24th '20, 05:07
  • There's less hinting between topics. Two iterations ago, there was this subtle 3D effect so things jumped out at you, even if it was only 2 pixels thick. The previous iteration had alternating light-and-dark bands between each topic. This one just has an invisible 1 pixel black line, which I can only tell is there if I put my face right up to the monitor, zoom in on a screenshot, or turn my gamma down to 1.0.
I agree that the one pixel line isn't enough for me. I look at the topic name, and then I look to the right to find the last post date, and I can easily move +/- 1 row.