Marathon: Phoenix 1.1 development log

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
StoneClench
Cyborg

The alien weapon will be missed, I used it as it is a good all round weapon that is a frequent drop. It can incinerate aliens with in seconds when used properly and as Screemingfool said, its a nice stun lock weapon.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Aren't the Imperials basically just shotguns that dont discharge all the shots at once?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well, basically. They're a lot less accurate though, so they lose the range advantage that the Shotguns had.
assassingao
Vidmaster

However Ryoko...now that pistol is becoming the melee weapon.

WHAT PURPOSE WOULD THE FIST SERVE!?!?
irons
Vidmaster

The new melee weapon has a limited number of uses per "clip." From what I've been able to gather from Ryoko, it's a blade/pair of blades whose cutting power comes from an energy field. So the energy runs out after a while, the blades wear down, whatever. This is because the blades are incredibly powerful, and letting the player have infinite ammo would make the game too easy.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Well, basically. They're a lot less accurate though, so they lose the range advantage that the Shotguns had.
In all Marathon games... I always that it was a little wierd that the shotguns were spectacular long ranged weapons as well as deadly close range weapons.
Perhaps the firing error should be cranked up to a rediculous numeral amount so that the only way to get the full effect is to be right in the enemy's face.

Still just as deadly up close, and unbelievably useless at a distance...
...Perhaps.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

However Ryoko...now that pistol is becoming the melee weapon.

WHAT PURPOSE WOULD THE FIST SERVE!?!?
As irons said, the melee weapon only has a few shots before it breaks (like the Alien Weapon). It's very powerful, but you can't use it for long. On the other hand, the fist has infinite ammo, so you can save other ammo with it.
Still just as deadly up close, and unbelievably useless at a distance...
...Perhaps.
Hence the Imperials.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 2nd '07, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote: On the other hand, the fist has infinite ammo, so you can save other ammo with it.
"On the other hand" lol

The fists are absolutely useless on the renegades though. I've tried, they dont do anything to anything but perhaps a lone fighter or soemthing. Perhaps you mgiht wxanna speed them up like in Rubicon.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

No, I don't want to. Use your guns.
assassingao
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:No, I don't want to. Use your brain before using your fists.

They suck.
Fixed your post to match Shadowbreaker's stupidity.

Of course, no offense.
StoneClench
Cyborg

With the shot gun, The thing is that it is such a good long range weapon because it shoots too much out, On other new age games, a shotgun only shoots out about 4-6 shards or bullets that can do damage, but they crank how much it does. This way there is a slimmer chance of being hit from a greater distance but it still pummels when close, well thats what I noticed on about 6 fps games.

And the pistol is utterly useless, at the end of the game I pretty much had every piece of ammo that I picked up. I had to force myself to use them otherwise I would chug down other ammo too fast.
Last edited by StoneClench on May 5th '07, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
John Drake
Vidmaster

The pistols will be completely removed, and replaced with a new, very powerful melee weapon.
The Uberfists!!! The time has come!!! My fist attacks might actually win!!! (maybe)
No, I don't want to. Use your brain before using your fists.
Where is the fun in that?
The new melee weapon has a limited number of uses per "clip." From what I've been able to gather from Ryoko, it's a blade/pair of blades whose cutting power comes from an energy field. So the energy runs out after a while, the blades wear down, whatever. This is because the blades are incredibly powerful, and letting the player have infinite ammo would make the game too easy.
Awww. I'm gonna have to download it and change that myself. (If I ever figure out how to....)
Last edited by John Drake on May 5th '07, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

soo, uuhhhh, when's all this crap coming out? I just downloaded tgi, and I was wondering...
Can't speel for hist.
Imup
Cyborg

Phortiphy wrote:soo, uuhhhh, when's all this crap coming out? I just downloaded tgi, and I was wondering...
Wait about 10 hours after you downloaded TGI, then you'll have to take a crap. Then TGI:Crap comes out of ur anus.
OMGLOL [MGrin]
But To stay on topic, I really liked TGI. Yes, the pistols SUCK BALLS, and a hard-core melee weapon would be awesome ('cause the new pfhlamethrower is, well, not good).
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Unf. More pics for you guys. This is the third level, "Enchanting New Mexico."

Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 30th '09, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
Lugas
Vidmaster

*stares at RyokoTK's new pictures*

Mmm...yummy.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Actually, the only new weapons i got to were the imps and the crossbow. I hated them both. Especially the imps, cuz they're a dumbed down smg that only hurts fighters, and chugs the rare ammo faster than hte smg. The crossbow was described as super powerfull, but it wasn't. I have a sneaking suspicion that it hurts me when i hit the wall more than them.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

The imps were a good replacement for the shotguns. I liked them a lot. The best thing about the crossbow is its accuracy. Ryoko made it more powerful and with fewer shots in the TGIB.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The IMPs are not a weakened SMG. Well... yeah, OK, I guess technically they are. On a clip-by-clip basis, they do roughly equal damage to the Shotgun, and fire through their ammo about as fast, factoring in reload times. Coupled with the fact that you can fire one gun while reloading the other, you've got an extremely potent weapon -- one that's actually more useful than the shotguns. Of course ammo is rare; it's a great weapon.

I realize that the Crossbow seemed gimpy. TGI:B's crossbow is now even more powerful than before -- even on TC, a single shot completely obliterates an Enforcer. It'll make some of the hardcore vidmasters a little pissy, but hey, they don't have to use it. The Crossbow is now an extremely useful weapon.
Drake's Temp account

I liked TGI (but the false endings kinda tricked me (every time)) BTW did you get the names for Sonic Firestorm and Valley of the Damned from the speed metal band DragonForce or is it just coincidence?

I liked the M Pistols because it can be used like a shotgun, but also used on weaker targets without being a total waste of bullets. I liked TGI because I could actually find my way around (this is a real difference) not to mention the savepoints that are spread well across the map.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Well perhaps the imps could be a bit more accurate, that was my problem. It seemed like they were shooting backwards sometimes...
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well perhaps the imps could be a bit more accurate, that was my problem. It seemed like they were shooting backwards sometimes...
That's kind of the point. The IMPs are as accurate as the old Assault Rifle. The damage output of the IMPs is huge, but you have to be in the fray to make the most of it. The new AR is much more accurate in exchange.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated... yeah, a long while. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this. In fact, after a long hiatus, I've picked it up again. The fruits of my labor: "Welcome to Jurassic Park."

For those of you familiar with TGI already, this level is the level in which you first meet the Renegades. As such, the bulk of the level has you fighting them. Two points of interest:

1) The gun visible in all three images is the new Fusion Cannon. While it's comparable in functionality to the Fusion Pistol of old, there are some changes... just to mix it up, mostly. It's a bit better than before, but there are some new limitations (most notably, it fires more slowly, so you can't spam quite as easily). Don't worry about the low resolution; I intend (though there's no guarantee) to have high-res Weapons in Hand ready for the release.

2) The new "major" Defenders, which were once notorious for firing homing bolts, no longer do so, instead firing a swarm of regular ones. Interestingly, Defenders in TGI weren't scaled by difficulty -- which means that they were a little too easy on TC. This is no longer the case. Prepare yourself for some pretty fierce battles.

I'm not putting a time frame on release. It'll be done when it's done. Just know that work is being completed on it.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 30th '09, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
assassingao
Vidmaster

IT SPEAKS!
ITTTTT SPEAKS!

-Beowulf

Can't wait to be raped by the Renegades again in TGIB!
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Nice looking gun for a low-res sprite. I'm looking forward to this.