Where do they go?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
stunt_man
Cyborg

When I join a game and receive a map file from the host, where does the file go?

Is this a really noob-ish question? I don't know...
irons
Vidmaster

It probably gets stored in memory.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

You definitely don't actually keep the file. It isn't saved anywhere.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

That could be an option...
Like, after every game, the comp checks to see if you have it, and if u don't, it says "would you like to keep this map y/n"

Put it on the list, Treellama [MGrin]
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jun 13th '07, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Not so fast, buddy.

When you play one map from a large pack, A1 only sends the single map, right? It would either have to generate a new file with only that map, or re-contact the server and download the entire pack. That's ugly right there, and reason not to do it.

Even more importantly, as a content author, I'm not so sure about this being so open. I like to gather unfinished or unpolished maps on meta to test them, and I don't want people downloading them and keeping the shitty versions. It just makes a mess! At best, we'd need an option to turn that availability off. I think the technical reasons are reason enough not to offer this feature though.
treellama
Vidmaster

Kinetic Turtle wrote:When you play one map from a large pack, A1 only sends the single map, right? It would either have to generate a new file with only that map, or re-contact the server and download the entire pack. That's ugly right there, and reason not to do it.
It's possible to save just the level by itself, and that's how it will work when implemented.
Even more importantly, as a content author, I'm not so sure about this being so open. I like to gather unfinished or unpolished maps on meta to test them, and I don't want people downloading them and keeping the shitty versions. It just makes a mess! At best, we'd need an option to turn that availability off. I think the technical reasons are reason enough not to offer this feature though.
When you gather a game, the joiners get the entire contents of the level--they have to, or they couldn't play. So, I recommend if you're testing something you really don't want to distribute, to only gather people you trust. There are enough of us around, so I don't think that's really a problem.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:When you gather a game, the joiners get the entire contents of the level--they have to, or they couldn't play. So, I recommend if you're testing something you really don't want to distribute, to only gather people you trust. There are enough of us around, so I don't think that's really a problem.
Of course, but there's a difference between what happens now and the players actually being able to keep the file as a rehostable, standalone map file. That's my concern. I generally only host test maps to those I trust, but if the file gets kept by someone, then it could still cause confusion later.
treellama
Vidmaster

Kinetic Turtle wrote:I generally only host test maps to those I trust, but if the file gets kept by someone, then it could still cause confusion later.
Well, you could put (testing) or whatever in the title of the map (which presumably would be the default name for the saved file) to help that.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 13th '07, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Maybe there could be a tag that says what pack it's from too, so that you don't download somthing, only to find that you already have it in a pack that you havn't gone through yet. Somehow that'd only be on the d/l screen though, if you can do that. But treellama can do anything.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

I'm just paranoid about people getting my stuff that way. I know no one would steal it and claim it as his own, but still ... It would really just take the personal aspect out of sharing maps. On a P2P network, no one knows where the files came from, and no one cares. I'm not so sure I'd want something similar to happen with our maps. I know Treellama will dismiss this as stupid, but that's how I see it.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

irons wrote:I'm not so sure I'd want something similar to happen with our maps.
As I said, it's already transmitted now. There isn't a big difference between my putting a few lines in a build, and someone putting a few lines in his custom build to do it. For all you know I may already have the ability to steal hosted maps muahaha. If you host a map, people can get it--it's something you should get used to if you haven't already.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 13th '07, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

"Hey I liked that map ... wut waz it called? Age of Aqua?"
"YAH dude take it"
"OK WHO maed it?!"
"DUnno sum catholic"
Last edited by irons on Jun 13th '07, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Zott
Vidmaster

Never mind, i don't have time to finish this since my parents are booting me off the computer because i finally finished all my homework, and since i'm sick i shouldn't be "playing" I'll finish it tomorrow or somesuch.
Then why post it?

Anyway, to prevent confusion, you could just have all the maps get downloaded into a separate folder called Downloads.

It works for OS X Leapord, and it would work here. That way, you know the stuff from fileball you can put wherever you want, and you know the stuff int the download folder could be outdated scum.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
stunt_man
Cyborg

At best, we'd need an option to turn that availability off.
Amen. If you want to test a beta-version of your map, turn the option off, and no one can keep it! When you've completed the final version and you want to distribute it, turn it back on... Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to do.

Here's some more suggestions: Consider making the map download occur during the gathering process. That way, the load won't be so long and you can still chat while waiting. Something else you might want to look into is giving the host the power to kick people if the map download is taking too long. What about a ping display in the pregame gathering?
(...)you could just have all the maps get downloaded into a separate folder called Downloads.
Another good idea...

Just my two-cents.

Keep it up!
Last edited by stunt_man on Jun 15th '07, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

irons wrote:"Hey I liked that map ... wut waz it called? Age of Aqua?"
"YAH dude take it"
"OK WHO maed it?!"
"DUnno sum catholic"
I restate:

You could tag the map with it's pack name and/or maker on the d/l screen, right? That way you could avoid accidentally downloading stuff that you already have, and you could also know the maker.
or you could sign the map, like in the lava pit in the second quest Thunderdome.

Also, I think that doing it during gathering is a bad idea. The map could be crap, and you wouldn't know it. There oughta be a screen that asks you if you want to d/l it and where it should go. But on the other hand, there could be a thing in prefs that asks where the d/l'd maps go, and there could be an option to always d/l them automatically to the chosen folder, if possible, so that you can sort them out later.

Pings in pregame don't exist, or at least read correct in proportion to the game, it think, because the game itself is a major source of lag (mic boggers, long veiwing distances, ect.)

I think the option to boot ppl from your game is acceptable, as long as the bootee is being outragous, consistant team killing, mic bogging, high ping, weird physics, oos, ect. The problem is, the'red have to be a programming like Halo that only allows certain conditions for booting, so the host doesn't abuse the privelage.
Can't speel for hist.
stunt_man
Cyborg

About pregame ping - How about instead of showing a player's ping, it shows their connection? This could be useful in judging how to adjust the latency tolerance...

About pregame downloading - It would work something like in Starcraft or Warcraft (one player downloads the map at a time; it would be really fast with Marathon files, though). Of course, you would be able to see the map's title somewhere. What about including something that checks your Marathon directory for the same file, so if you already have it, you automatically don't download it? And about having a screen that asks you if you want to download it: if one player is downloading at a time, then we would have to wait for people to make a choice. Maybe include a timer that automatically chooses for you? And if you choose no, then you get booted when the game starts. More thoughts on this?
Last edited by stunt_man on Jun 15th '07, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

stunt_man wrote:Amen. If you want to test a beta-version of your map, turn the option off, and no one can keep it! When you've completed the final version and you want to distribute it, turn it back on... Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to do.
Congratulations on not paying attention! I'm off this thread, now, since we answered the original question, and now it's just people ignoring me.
stunt_man
Cyborg

Uhh sorry? If you answered it already, I didn't get it... I've read all the posts...
irons
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:I restate:

You could tag the map with it's pack name and/or maker on the d/l screen, right?
How?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:But treellama can do anything.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

I've been pretty tolerant of you since you arrived, but I'll take this chance to tell you that you're stupid.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

How the hell am I supposed to know about programming???
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

If you don't know about it, I suggest not making requests like this, either.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I was making a suggestion based on sensibility of the outcome. If it is not possible to program that I didn't know. Stop ragging on me, I came up with this idea in the first place. If you feel irritated, i'm sorry. If somethings not possible, just inform me of taht. I feel irritated that you feel irritated, and i'm working on my behavior to fix that. Truly sorry.
Can't speel for hist.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Congratulations on not paying attention! I'm off this thread, now, since we answered the original question, and now it's just people ignoring me.
lol internet

Let's all play on the same map, which I will send to none of you. >:( Don't steal my maps. >:( On the Internet. >:(
dude, seriously. dude.