Pfhor pronunciation.

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
megabyte
Vidmaster

the google search bar searches the pfhorums
just not very well
its for finding info on all other marathon sites
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

I say "Wuh-orkin-kank-ter"

By the way, is S'pht pronounced "Suh-fit"?
I enjoy saying "Suh-fit-KUR!" (with extra enunciation on the 'kur' part =) )
Paragon
Born on Board

When I say S'pht I do my best to make a "ffft" sound, with no vowel sounds in it. I typically cram the s right in there too, but since there's an apostrophe, I think I should start trying to keep the "s" and "ffft" seperate, with a short pause between.
localwarming
Cyborg

Paragon wrote:What's this "puh" crap?
If you have discovered a new way to pronounce the letter P, I am interested.
Fresnel
Born on Board

Paragon wrote:I tried your search function, but all I got were those wiki-style entries, no threads. It probably has something to do with the forum layout making the built-in search less obvious than the Marathon search, and not having any label to discern the two.

Also, thats a stupid reason to ban someone, especially since its not against the official rules.

ANYWAY, Mjolnir is pretty well established, considering it was Thor's hammer (or something like that), so there certainly is a proper pronunciation. I believe its "myol-neer".

As for W'rkncacnter, I guess I'd say "werkin cackin tair". Though honestly, I'm just going to avoid ever saying that one from now on.

I still think it doesn't make sense to put a silent P at the beginning of an alien word when there's no reason. I contend that the most logical way to pronounce Pfhor is...well, exactly as its spelled, I can't really spell it phonteically any better. No "puh", and no silent p.
I've always pronounced Mjolnir like that too, but you're right, I'm sure there's an official pronunciation of that.

The reason for not having a silent P in Pfhor makes perfect sense to me, so I've always blended the P and the F together into one weird letter. As to the puns not making sense with the leading P, many puns are like that. There was an old joke with a man named Benny who found a genie's lamp. The Genie gave him his three wishes, on the condition that he couldn't ever shave or he'd turn into a pot. One day, he shaved. The moral of the story: A Benny shaved is a Benny urned. It's obviously a different pronunciation, but the joke carries through nonetheless.

I learned to pronounce words by sight, not phonetically, so I pronounce W'rkncacnter completely off, and I know it's wrong (I drop the first n and the second c completely), but it works for me. I never have to tell anybody about it, and if I do, I avoid trying to pronounce it, but what I know works in my head and that's good enough for me.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Paragon wrote:When I say S'pht I do my best to make a "ffft" sound, with no vowel sounds in it. I typically cram the s right in there too, but since there's an apostrophe, I think I should start trying to keep the "s" and "ffft" seperate, with a short pause between.
Something like "soft", but minus the vowel?

QUOTE(Bruno)If you have discovered a new way to pronounce the letter P, I am interested.[/quote]
The letter P is usually pronounced 'p', with no 'uh' to speak of.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Something like "soft", but minus the vowel?
I say it like "fit" but with a "hissss" sound, minus the "hi" in front. "Ssfit"
Can't speel for hist.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:The letter P is usually pronounced 'p', with no 'uh' to speak of.
Oh puh-lease, that's puh-re-puh-osterous
MasterYo1
Cyborg

Try asking Microsoft's SAM voice. He'll be able to tell you.

Heh...
I am not allowed to log in unless I am logged in. WTF.
You are wrong. Not 2.5. Five.

Also I am not dead.
Paragon
Born on Board

Actually, I foudn Microsoft Sam does a pretty good job of pronouncing Pfhor...provided its not just the word Pfhor. For example, try typing in "Unpfhorgiven".
CopperNinja
Spazeroid

Jjaro-jaro
Mjolnir- Zholner
Spht- Spit
Pfhor - For
W'rkncacnter - workckckckc(That's just how I imagined it in my head everytime I just skipped that annoying word)
Last edited by CopperNinja on Mar 3rd '08, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Cheezus crust!
megabyte
Vidmaster

just to show everyone Mjolnir is the name of Thor's hammer and is spelled the same way so it is probably said the same way knowing
i say this knowing that the writers like to reference mythology and ancient literature so im guessing its pronounced MUOLL-neer
Last edited by megabyte on Mar 3rd '08, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
irons
Vidmaster

I'm just making this topic even more crappy and redundant.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Fresnel
Born on Board

Megabyte wrote:just to show everyone Mjolnir is the name of Thor's hammer and is spelled the same way so it is probably said the same way knowing
i say this knowing that the writers like to reference mythology and ancient literature so im guessing its pronounced MUOLL-neer
Come to think of it, the Mjolnir cyborgs were created and named by Humans. They didn't name themselves. It would make sense that we'd name them after something we know, like the V22 Osprey or the Panzer (panther) tank. Thor's hammer was a mighty weapon, which fits with the cyborgs being the epitome of Human destructive technology. Thus, the cyborgs were almost certainly, at least in my mind, named after Thor's hammer, and so the name should be pronounced the same way.
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

Cyber Controller wrote:I say it with a kind of "v" sound.

Also for your prouncianting pleasure heres how I say:

*Jjaro- Ya-row (as in row a boat)
*S'pht- S-v-it
*W'rkncacnter- Wir-can-cac-na-ter
*Mjolnir- Mol-nir
*Pthia- Pi-tea-a
*S'pht'Kr - S-v-it Kir
*Bungie- Still working on that one :-)
Except for the "v" thing, I agree with this [MSmile]
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
Major Pedro
Cyborg

If you listen in-game, you hear that Pfhor sound strangely like a mix of ducks, cats and whales. You shouldn't speak the words, you should quack/miaow/whistle them.
Coraxus
Cyborg

I find it amusing that S'pht is all consonants with absolutely no vowels in it what-so-ever. As for the "P" in Pfhor, I assumed it was a strong emphasis when pronouncing it, so when you say its name, it has a hard sharp F sound to it rather than a soft sound that you normally find in English words that begins with "F".
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

The not-so-well-known names, especially the M2 ones, are hernia-inducing. S'pht'Lhar, S'pht'Hra, S'pht'Nma, S'pht'Kah, S'pht'Vir, S'pht'Yra, S'pht'Val, S'pht'Shr, S'pht'Mnr, S'pht'Yor, S'pht'Kr, S'ct'lac'tr, K'lia, T'jia, Y'loa, Aaaaargh!
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sep 10th '08, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

somebody please push his insides back in
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:S'ct'lac'tr
You made that one up! [MTongue]
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:You made that one up! [MTongue]
Untrue, just Google it. The first few hits were:

S'pht: The Language of the S'pht (ComicGenesis)
The C in "S'ct'lac'tr" is removed because the same consonant can't appear on both ... "S'ct'lac'tr" is made from three words: S'ct - enemy; L'ac - death; ...

(By the way, this one is pretty cool. It's like a beginner's guide to speaking S'pht.)

Marathon's Story... Facts and puzzling things about (marathon.bungie.org)
The best they could muster was the "S'ct'lac'tr" -- a weapon which they released in the Citadel while they waited for the Pfhor to get them." ...

Re. MARATHON CONCEPT ART AT BUNGIE.NET (WARNING STORY FORUMS)
S'ct'lac'tr (ancient S'pht bioweapon) until I read and actually ... That's what I find odd, that the S'ct'lac'tr (which this presumably is, unless there's ...

Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :P (WARNING STORY FORUMS)
After discovering (or rather assuming) that, it looked like "S'ct'lac'tr" could mean something so I created vocabulary from it. S'ct - n, enemy ...

sbhuth - Profile (LiveJournal)
Interests: 10: jjaro, lh'owon, s'bhuth, s'ct'lac'tr, s'pht, s'pht'kr, the olders, w'rkncacnter, yrr, yrro · Schools: None listed ...

etc.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sep 10th '08, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Whats up with all of you guys not able to pronounce anything?
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Drictelt wrote:Whats up with all of you guys not able to pronounce anything?
GASP JJARO AGENT! SEIZE HIM!
Embrace imagination.
Da Spadger
Born on Board

I try to pronounce those words like they are spelled. Pfhor and S'pht isnt that hard once you learn to pronounce W'rkncacnter without adding vowels everywhere.

:V