DOOMWAD

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

DOOMWAD is an open collaborative single-player mapmaking project in the vein of Kill Them All. The objective of this collaboration is to make maps that are fast-paced, simple, and exciting, for quick co-op rounds or single-player challenges. The goal for mapmakers is to make maps that are brief bursts of fun, straightforward combat.

This is an open project, meaning anyone who wants to can participate. As long as the map is playable and not completely terrible, it will be accepted into the project. For anyone interested in participating, here are the rules and other things to keep in mind:

The name "DOOMWAD" is no accident -- you should be drawing a certain degree of inspiration in level design from Doom and Doom II. Levels should be brief and simple but exciting. To that end, there is a 400-polygon limit to keep in mind, but remember, that is a maximum value, not an expected one. You should be able to complete each level in just a few minutes, if you don't die. If you can't execute your map concept in under 400 polygons without it being barren and ugly, think smaller. Maps should look good and be designed with craft and cleverness.

Each map should have no objectives other than to reach the exit. Again, this is to help encourage straightforward mapping and fluidity. To this end, try to avoid irritating switch hunts or anything else that has the player scouring every corner of a big maze. These aren't inherently bad, but they're not the point of the project -- maps should be easy to play in co-op mode even if you don't know the map. Also, exclude terminals from your map -- when the goal is just to reach the end of every level, no text is necessary.

Each map should be flagged Rebellion. I'm going to jumble up the maps in a rough order of scaling difficulty. This has two benefits for you: one, you don't need to worry about the previous map giving the player a bunch of weapons, so you can use your own. Two, a player can start wherever he wants in the scenario without worrying about missing earlier weapons. That said, you should provide health and a pattern buffer near the beginning of each of your maps to avoid frustrating people. Each level is your own clean slate -- you can do whatever you like. You can have any style of map you like -- arenas, linear shoot-fests, nice non-linear maps, whatever, just as long as they're simple and fun.

Your own custom physics and shapes patches are welcome, within reason. With your physics, try to focus on making different monsters rather than different weapon physics. That said, you aren't necessarily encouraged to use either one -- there's plenty of fun to be had with the regular Infinity tools.

Like Doom and Kill Them All, the primary focus of this project is combat, combat, combat. Try to test your maps on Total Carnage, because I will be strongly encouraging people to play on that difficulty. Monsters on TC are faster, more aggressive, and just generally more exciting to fight against than on the slower easier difficulties. If you want to include little puzzles in your maps, that's fine, as long as they don't take forever -- again, no irritating switch hunts!

Flag each map as both single-player and cooperative. Co-op mode should be played with the co-op script, so don't worry about extra weapons and ammo. Just try to avoid one-way one-time doors that keep other players locked out.

You can submit as many maps as you like -- the more the merrier! Make them as easy or as difficult as you want. You can really do just about anything you want to, and I encourage variety, as long as the maps are fun. That's the key, here: fun fun fun. There's no official deadline, either; as long as maps keep coming in, the project can continue, so take your time and come up with good stuff. Remember, this isn't a contest, it's a collaboration.

If you're interested in this project, leave a post or two! If you have any questions, suggestions, or anything else, leave those here as well.

To submit a map, send the map as well as the physics and shapes patch (if applicable -- don't bother sending a Standard physics model) to bolt0064@umn.edu as well as any additional JUICE instructions or whatever else. I might edit or adjust your map if there's something wrong or especially annoying, but I'll keep it as minimal as possible (and I'll try not to monkey with it at all).

Remember, this is an open project, and any submission will (probably) be accepted, no matter how small! If you only have time for a tiny map, that's perfectly fine, as long as it's still fun.

PROJECT RULES SUMMARY
- Single player collab
- 400 polygon maximum; smaller is preferable
- Maps should be brief and focus on combat
- No objectives except "reach the exit"
- Each map should be flagged "Rebellion"
- Custom shapes patches and physics are welcome
- Send the map to bolt0064@umn.edu
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 27th '08, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Zott
Vidmaster

I suddenly have the urge to make a boss chamber. I horrible horrible boss chamber. And yet... besides the horrible part, it meets all the requirements.

Well, if I do decide to make this boss "chamber" I will try and make it interesting.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
DeepThought
Cyborg

Oh wowow, u dont do shit 4 teh comunity, Ryoko! This prooves it!

Joking aside, this project sounds very fun and I hardly know why anyone would refuse. I'll try to post a map or two.
Last edited by DeepThought on Aug 27th '08, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
eliasj
Cyborg

I'll try to submit a map or two!
Durability
CryoS
Vidmaster

already working on 2 or 4 maps :D
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Magnum
Cyborg

If I could map, I would for this. What a fun and great idea Ryoko!

I am now anticipating for this to be released.
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

lol, DOOMWAD, you rip-off artist [MLaugh]
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's homage, not thievery.

Please. I'm a treasure hunter.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 27th '08, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Would you be willing to help with map testing?
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Aug 28th '08, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Heck yeah. I'll make some maps for this DOOMWAD project.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Seems interesting. Il tackle down my maps on saturday and monday. should be easy to create two.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
Dodopod
Cyborg

I'll try to submit a map or two for this.
Counter Attack on the Meta
DavFlamerock
Spazeroid

This looks hella tight. It would also be a good project for me to submit my first maps, yes? (me being a newb in mapping but it being something I've always wanted to do)

If I can't make any cool maps then I'll be sure to play it when it's released :P
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's certainly worth a try. The project is intended to be very friendly (as opposed to collaborations like Xmas which are usually more of a commitment).
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

For inspiration people should download the doom2.wad and play with a source port.
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
Zott
Vidmaster

Just a quick question. Is there a deadline in which to send files, or is it more of a certain quota of maps that need to be made. I'm working on one, but am not sure when it definitely needs to be done and turned in by.

On a slightly different topic, since it is for Co-op, if I give player one a health canister next to his spawn, must I place one at player two's spawn, or will the Co-op script give a health canister to every player, regardless of their position?

Look at Him Go, Weeee
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Flag each map as both single-player and cooperative. Co-op mode should be played with the co-op script, so don't worry about extra weapons and ammo.

There's no official deadline, either; as long as maps keep coming in, the project can continue, so take your time and come up with good stuff.

any questions?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The script will give everyone the canister, but it'll only apply once, and if you die and respawn you'll only have 20% health or however much it is.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:DOOMWAD is an open collaborative single-player mapmaking project in the vein of Kill Them All. The objective of this collaboration is to make maps that are fast-paced, simple, and exciting, for quick co-op rounds or single-player challenges. The goal for mapmakers is to make maps that are brief bursts of fun, straightforward combat.
Interested! [MGrin]
RyokoTK wrote:Your own custom physics and shapes patches are welcome, within reason. With your physics, try to focus on making different monsters rather than different weapon physics. That said, you aren't necessarily encouraged to use either one -- there's plenty of fun to be had with the regular Infinity tools.
Yays I can insert elite Pfhor!

Just 1 problem.
RyokoTK wrote:Like Doom and Kill Them All, the primary focus of this project is combat, combat, combat. Try to test your maps on Total Carnage, because I will be strongly encouraging people to play on that difficulty. Monsters on TC are faster, more aggressive, and just generally more exciting to fight against than on the slower easier difficulties. If you want to include little puzzles in your maps, that's fine, as long as they don't take forever -- again, no irritating switch hunts!
What if I don't normally play on TC and the monsters eat me on that difficulty?
Embrace imagination.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

See if you can have someone else test your levels then.
$lave

chinkeeyong wrote:What if I don't normally play on TC and the monsters eat me on that difficulty?
This would be pretty ironic, given your avatar :P
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

i believe the script was updated so that if you died on a rebellion level you came back with full (1x) health, or maybe i just talked to irons about that, or maybe i just pasted that into my copy of the script. I'd check but my computer doesn't like marathon right now, or much else for that matter.
$lave

I have the latest version of the script, and you still only start with 1/5 health or whatever it is. For this reason, I'd recommend keeping some form of health (whether it be a charger or a re-spawning canister) at the beginning of the level for respawning players, even if its only 1X health.
Zott
Vidmaster

In that case, with the rebellion style health on respawn, I guess I could make a teleporter room filled with canisters, that teleports you to the beginning of the level, so I would not have to make a special script or anything to guarantee full health. Plus the Co-op script will can teleport you next to your buddy anyway, so it might be a good method.

So if you get a 100 maps, you are just going to keep hoarding them until you don't get a map for a year, then release the whole pack? Or are you waiting for 20/10/5 etc. submissions, making a pack, then waiting for more? That was sort of an under-intention (if one can exist) of my original question. I mean, there is no deadline, but they are going to be released eventually right?
Last edited by Zott on Sep 5th '08, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Look at Him Go, Weeee