Cooperative Map Making

Deleted posts and threads from the beginning until the creation of the Archives category.
nfreader
Born on Board

Here's my plan for a huge monstrosity of a map/level.

Each person on a specified list (created beforehand) is charged with adding a bit of...space(?) to the map/level. Most people would want a set story-line, maybe a guide for how the level/map should turn out. I however, prefer not to do that. I'm open to whatever comments you have on this idea.
ASV 3935 IGZ
Switch
Vidmaster

I was recently amazed by The BlueSFear Worm, they created the widest page on the internet by making picture after picture, each tied into the last, to make a giant image. Why not do this? One person start off and either makes the shape of it, or a room, or something neat and then passes it on to the next guy? I cant say Im much of a mapmaker but I would like to see that go through, and If we just make lots of small additions nobody has too be hassled to much into working so everyone can join in.
teh1ghool

I say cool image worm, but a map worm wqould be chaotic. :) Give it a go, everyone loves chaos-in-community.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

what you guys are talking about is a MMR or a Map Making Roulette. Projects like that are being made a lot on the hl.forerunners.org hotline server is anybody interested. there's always somebody there (ok not always, but many times) ready to start a MMR. We usually just make net levels but there have been some solo levels.

Some of the maps have looked great and worked great and given us endless fun over at hl.forerunners.org... some haven't :P

so yeah, it usually works like this. people are given a set amount of time, lets say, 10 minutes in this case (if we would want to do a fast MMR) and each one does mb lets say 20 polygons in this case, or 21 to be loyal to the number 7. Then after some turns. the map is ready. voila!

I don't know if there are special rules for monster/weapon placement, if everybody do that or just one person, mainly because i haven't survived that long through a MMR because in most cases i needed to leave (i was on 56k at that time) :P
assassingao
Vidmaster

Is it solo or net map?

I'd wanna join!

I think ONLY one person should place the weapon after the map is finished.

But it should be a day for each person to add something in a map.

I wanna ask you one thing, can you do the map twice or more?
ChauSara

This would definately be cool. I think we should start it up...

So, I'll create a list for the order of who edits the map when. We can put it up on the backdoor upload thing. Each person should add 21 polygons to the map as Johannes Gunnar said.

List: (we need more peoplez)
-ChauSara (I'll be willing to give up this position, if someone thinks they can kick-start this better)
-assassingao
-nfreader
-King Kidtofu
-tozero
-xyfbzi

Yeah. Make a post if you want to join up. Also, we need to choose an enviroment for this map, and what kind it will be... I'm open to suggestions on any of this.

If this works, it should be a real blast. =D

So far, the current layout of the map is:

Netmap
Sewage Texture Set
Lh'owon Night Landscape

If you feel it should be different, speak out.
Last edited by ChauSara on Feb 19th '06, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
assassingao
Vidmaster

I wanna join!

But why don't we just create 5 type of these maps?

One for each type of texture.

But I think we should use either space or l'howon-night as a landscape.

I think we should make a net map.

(So everyone can play together!)
Switch
Vidmaster

ya, netmap, but only 1, we dont have that many people here yet
nfreader
Born on Board

Originally I was going for a solo map, you can do a bit more with those than you can in a netmap.

Ah well, sign me up.
ASV 3935 IGZ
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Il join.

also, I nominate the enviorment Sewage. I love sewage.... :P
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
ChauSara

nfreader wrote: Originally I was going for a solo map, you can do a bit more with those than you can in a netmap.
While normally, a solo map is the much better choice, we're just an unorganized group of people who pass a map around, with no apparent plot or base design. a scenario group or a single person can do it better, as they can make the map have a common theme, storyline, and challange.

For the most part, a solo map is pretty linear, while with a netmap, it is much more wide open, and thus allows alot more editing freedom for whoever's turn it is with the map.

And we can all play the netmap together in the end! =D
assassingao
Vidmaster

The map's shading will be either dim or light.

dim = 50% aka. the light number 10.

(dim to go with the landscape, or light because that map is lit up with something.)

I love dim maps, it adds the challenge, and it's like "WOAH!" when you found someone and they're firing something.
goran
Vidmaster

With dim...you mean like it's starting to get dark - dusk or something. The daylight is 10. I agree, that light setting is very atmospheric. It's dark, but not too dark.
tozero

Something with that open feel, the romanticism of a battle under the setting sun...

There should be rockets. :)

I would love to get a crack at this.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

I'd like to work on it, but i wouldn't be feel that rejected if i couldn't.
Once it's finished, we should have huge games, three hours or something crazy like that because it'll be so huge. Presuming it is huge.
assassingao
Vidmaster

Well, excuse my language...

BUT WHEN THE HELL THIS 'COOPERATIVE MAP MAKING' WILL BEGIN!?!?

C'mon, start it already.

Join up!!!
Switch
Vidmaster

Someone post that your starting the map, then when you post it, someone post that your adding to it and when your done upload the file for the next person, all good?
ChauSara

I was going to wait until 10 people signed up...

But oh well. I'll try and start it out.

EDIT: I'm going to change the amount of polygons a person can add are up to 35. That makes it so that someone can make an area of significance, and that I had 7 more than 21 in my room. =P

Along with that, you can have up to:

3 Player Starts
4 Weapons
10 Ammo Objects
And any amount of scenery you want, without it being an abnormal amount.

Try and adjust the lighting of your place as well, and try to make your piece "expandable", so that others could add a passageway to your addition, or increase it's size.

EDIT2: Ok, I'm finished... Assassingao, it's your turn to edit the map.
Attachments
Pfhorums_Co_Op_Map_Making_Level.zip
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Last edited by ChauSara on Feb 23rd '06, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
assassingao
Vidmaster

More 35 polygons has been added

Less filling, more seven.

*Complete with a glass 'container' in the center*
*Plus a neat (not to mention useless) lighting techniques*

nfreader! your turn!

I really want to know what would it looks like after everyone's done with this map making roulette!

I think after this is done, we should submit it to fileball.
Attachments
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Last edited by assassingao on Feb 24th '06, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
ChauSara

You like glass, huh? =P

But yeah, it should be put up on Fileball.

I'm going to send nfreader a message, as this has probably gone to the back of his mind.
assassingao
Vidmaster

Not really, but I found that being killed while strafing around the center is NOT fun...
nfreader
Born on Board

GAH! I'm here. Just checked last night. I have the map and am working on it now.
ASV 3935 IGZ
nfreader
Born on Board

Done. I added sections to the south part of the map and the northern hallway has been extended a bit. Weapons have been placed accordingly.

[attachmentid=66]
Attachments
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
ASV 3935 IGZ
ChauSara

Ok. Next up, King Kidtofu... I'll send a PM his way.
Kidtofu
Cyborg

Well guys, Ima bout to finish up my area, but I already placed two liquids in my area. did i go against the rules?
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!