In The Shadows.

The best of the Pfhorums.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Dugit! No space!
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Put the player through training, and then have him get lost on a mission, and have to fight his way back through enemy territory, then you can continue your plot. (2-3 Levels)
have a medium range desert area with sniping. all you really need are 2 textures. Make an elaborate puzzle through them to ________. Make sure there are plenty of cliffs to snipe from, and be sniped by. that would really make the player move. (=
I reiterate dugit's idea of a space station, but break it. smash it. be floating in space. this is doable but never done. be able to float through rubble and kill stuff on the way.
Urban combat is required. just make sure you put high windows.
A great idea already, use a partially destructible map. make it so that the exit is blocked off in a certain amount of time. if you apply the jump.lua then make pathways that sink into lava, but requre the player to be shooting something to one side.
A map I've already partially made, make a bunch of exponentially growing circles from the center of the map, and then make the last circle's floor space. put that down to 8 WU (or whatever is enough so that you can see it but not too much) This is your singularity engine. Its kinda hard to imagine, but imagine yourself inside a rocket, vertically. Use that... ugh... its on the battlecat's... but hide the celing and the floor should be space so that dont matter, but make the catwalks and whatever you put in, end somewhere. Dream level right there.
what else...
Mountain. just make a mountain, with the goal of getting to the top. exept enemies all around. Maybe a Volcano, with little pools of lava everywhere.
an island with tall rocks around it, and a base, offshore. make it puzzle style, so you cant see the destination... hah... i just copied somthing.. lol... ooops... Google "Ahonay" and "Mist" and you'll get a great idea.
Open Factory
Make a map with a lot of moving parts, and advise the player to be really careful... (=
do a boat level, where you make a buncha small boats, and have the water tide goin FAST in the opposite direction. I would play that.
Do a level where you can fall off all sides, maybe hopping around on rocks that are protruding from the sky beneath you, and fog it to the MAX.
Do something with the name Europa. prefferably a moon level, low grav., where you can fall off by jumping too high.
Do a bridge. One bridge, abyss beneath. HUGE fight.
Battlefields with trenches are always good. id skech out my perfect battlefield but i havent the time.

Ill let you chew on that awhile before i spit out more for you.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Envy wrote:Put the player through training, and then have him get lost on a mission, and have to fight his way back through enemy territory, then you can continue your plot. (2-3 Levels)
have a medium range desert area with sniping. all you really need are 2 textures. Make an elaborate puzzle through them to ________. Make sure there are plenty of cliffs to snipe from, and be sniped by. that would really make the player move. (=
I love it! that's Going in for sure!
A great idea already, use a partially destructible map. make it so that the exit is blocked off in a certain amount of time. reqiure the player to be shooting something to one side.
could put a time limit on screen using lua, and when it ends, player dies. I'm already planning a level like this, but this has helped alot.
do a boat level, where you make a buncha small boats, and have the water
already gunna make a couple like this, and this is another!
brill.

anyone come up with names for ITS yet?
i could just call it Sundown...
Last edited by Fishman92 on Dec 3rd '09, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Remember, it can still be called Seventh Sundown or to that effect if you implement the number seven to sunsets.

But no, no ideas.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
treellama
Vidmaster

Put then
you chew on that awhis are alwaybe a Volcano, with lit to the
MAX.
Dows.
A great idesert area with the goal of getting the dugit's idea
Volcano, with lava, but requre the
puzzle that the exith a level, low
grave the
watertically. Use that... its, and adving parts, and and whatevel, whe
player move. Use youropa. pre i spit out more yourself ing in spack
through enemy the goal stuff on the destinatime.

Ill let you chewhere. Dream les from the center to be shootingularity
eng fromewhere. Dream le but are protrudirectible map. that
would really careful... (=
do a boat le but never done. this that are space. put that down to the
top.
exept enemies all arount of on the way. that
would put that down to ________. Make
playbe a mounty of cliffs to snipe frocket,
vertically. Usert area wit the battlecat's... (=
do a boat my perfect
through rubblecat's.... ugh... ite direction. idea of a space
station... hah... i juse that... use the lava
everywhere. this island be
really careful... (=
do a base, offshore. make a but imagine yourself
insidestinath. HUGEtting tory, the floating in spactory
Make it
puzzle style, and the time.

Ill let you chew on that awhile before i spit out more e time.

Ill let you chew on that awhill les from the water tide going in
space. this and whatever you chew on the way.
Urband kill stuff cliffs to be
really can continue yough truding parts, and adving parts, and apply
the way.
Urban that awhile beful... (=
do so
that the player to be
really careful... (=
do a boat level, when make the wayer thrould play that id skech out my
pere are plenty offshore. make ite direction. just make pathe
destinatime.

Ill let that down to 8 WU (=
I reiter of the map, and kill stuffs to 8 Whatever you put requre you
put high the goal off in and have the
water tide goin FAST island with tall you reath you, and fogle
"Ahonay" and with tall around. Magine yourself inside a rocket,
vertically. Use a partially dest
circle's is frocks around it then make it
player to be shooting, and then Factory
Make around ite directory
Make an elaborate put in, enda hard to imagit's ideady partiall you
really needium rang partially made, maybe hopping around on
rocks thatever you pathways that sink into lava, but requre the
plast
cired. just make sure the
player texturopace station, but base, off in FAST in the oppost on a
mi

puzzlevel
Last edited by treellama on Dec 4th '09, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Well said. I would actually play that scenario. Dissociated-level plugin for Weland?
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Well said. I would actually play that scenario. Dissociated-level plugin for Weland?
QUOTE(Treellama)Put then
you chew on that awhis are alwaybe a Volcano, with lit to the
MAX.
Dows.
A great idesert area with the goal of getting the dugit's idea
Volcano, with lava, but requre the
puzzle that the exith a level, low
grave the
watertically. Use that... its, and adving parts, and and whatevel, whe
player move. Use youropa. pre i spit out more yourself ing in spack
through enemy the goal stuff on the destinatime.

Ill let you chewhere. Dream les from the center to be shootingularity
eng fromewhere. Dream le but are protrudirectible map. that
would really careful... (=
do a boat le but never done. this that are space. put that down to the
top.
exept enemies all arount of on the way. that
would put that down to ________. Make
playbe a mounty of cliffs to snipe frocket,
vertically. Usert area wit the battlecat's... (=
do a boat my perfect
through rubblecat's.... ugh... ite direction. idea of a space
station... hah... i juse that... use the lava
everywhere. this island be
really careful... (=
do a base, offshore. make a but imagine yourself
insidestinath. HUGEtting tory, the floating in spactory
Make it
puzzle style, and the time.

Ill let you chew on that awhile before i spit out more e time.

Ill let you chew on that awhill les from the water tide going in
space. this and whatever you chew on the way.
Urband kill stuff cliffs to be
really can continue yough truding parts, and adving parts, and apply
the way.
Urban that awhile beful... (=
do so
that the player to be
really careful... (=
do a boat level, when make the wayer thrould play that id skech out my
pere are plenty offshore. make ite direction. just make pathe
destinatime.

Ill let that down to 8 WU (=
I reiter of the map, and kill stuffs to 8 Whatever you put requre you
put high the goal off in and have the
water tide goin FAST island with tall you reath you, and fogle
"Ahonay" and with tall around. Magine yourself inside a rocket,
vertically. Use a partially dest
circle's is frocks around it then make it
player to be shooting, and then Factory
Make around ite directory
Make an elaborate put in, enda hard to imagit's ideady partiall you
really needium rang partially made, maybe hopping around on
rocks thatever you pathways that sink into lava, but requre the
plast
cired. just make sure the
player texturopace station, but base, off in FAST in the oppost on a
mi

puzzlevel[/quote]
WTF are you on about? Any helpful ideas ???

Strange, still people determind to see this hit the dirt again.
Never mind. Spent yesterday, planning/brainstorming ideas for weapons etc. And characters.
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I personally think that would make at least a good level.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

ack45 wrote:I personally think that would make at least a good level.
I couldn't read it.

Anyway, now planning level 2, may or may not be able to start work on it today.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Fishman92 wrote:any new ideas?
treellama
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:Strange, still people determind to see this hit the dirt again.
Hmm, I merely took Envy's sixth grade assignment "Write a report describing your ideal video game" (I am guessing he got a B, due to grade inflation) and re-arranged the words to make it interesting.

I think you are projecting: you subconsciously fear (?know) you're going to fail, and so you read it into everyone's posts instead.
Last edited by treellama on Dec 4th '09, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:I think you are projecting: you subconsciously fear (?know) you're going to fail, and so you read it into everyone's posts instead.
But still, there really is no need to try and bring this down again. I mean, how many scenarios have been stopped because of it? I may not have been here as long as some, but I have lost count of all the crashed projects.
treellama
Vidmaster

It is not easy convincing someone to start out small, to learn the basics of mapping and story and so forth, before trying to create an enormous scenario--to find out whether they are any good, whether they aren't yet but have potential, or are whether they are forever doomed to, paraphrasing patrick, untreatable mediocrity.

We had finally gotten this thread to that point, when "Map indexes" Kurinn and "My signature ignores the fundamentals of natural selection" Goran had to come back and meddle and encourage you to bite off the whole miserable thing again.

Are you seriously going to stop working on something just because someone makes a post poking fun at another member's awful suggestions? That would amuse me, but that's not why scenarios crash. Scenarios crash because they are a massive amount of hard work, and require actual talent. Few people have the time or ability to finish them. Some eventually admit this, or just disappear; others continue to delude themselves with updates in their signatures or blogs that they'll still finish it some day; while the most entertaining segment of failed scenario designers blame subsets of the community in a dramatic way for their own shortcomings.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I agree that we should see the progress through production. I recommend that you release a circa three level demo (including the new textures etc) after a while, then we can pick the faults. Can I beta test?

I can see something very interesting coming up from this scenario. Can I feed the underplot, too?

Vale,
Dugit
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:I agree that we should see the progress through production. I recommend that you release a circa three level demo (including the new textures etc) after a while, then we can pick the faults. Can I beta test?

I can see something very interesting coming up from this scenario. Can I feed the underplot, too?

Vale,
Dugit
I will be releasing the beta once I have created enemy sprites, made weapon models and added sounds etc. And yeah sure, anyone can beta test.

I am glad I had shut this down and now come back to it; i'm not completely lost on how to do things as i once was -shudders-. I got in some map making practice, came up with some cool stuff to teach myself how to do these things lol. And now it's started, I will try as hard as I can to get this finished :D.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Will there be a small selection of netmaps for the scenario?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:But still, there really is no need to try and bring this down again. I mean, how many scenarios have been stopped because of it? I may not have been here as long as some, but I have lost count of all the crashed projects.
Projects fail left and right not because of the naysayers, although there is certainly no shortage of them on the Pfhorums, but because making a scenario is an immensely difficult and tedious task that takes an enormous time commitment, and very few people have enough interest in their own work to perpetuate it after a year or two of work.

Just about everyone at first had dreams of making their own scenario. The smart ones realized quickly that it's far too much trouble for its own good. Most of the idiots like myself that persist kind of fizzle out before too long when they really get a grasp of just how much work it takes, especially to fit the average aspiration of like 40 levels with all new guns and monsters and stuff like that.

So think about it this way. If people think your scenario doesn't look very good, really they're just looking out for you, because you wouldn't want to spend 2+ years on a scenario only to find out it's embarrassingly bad.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Since it didn't take that long to produce a *fully* working first level, I still have plenty of confidence for Fishman, in that I can easily see something around fifteen levels, with the assistance of the Marathon Community, to be spat out in the near future [MGrin] . How many cases have there been of a dead scenario coming back to life? Other than this.

Vale,
Dugit

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

TGIBX isn't done yet.
goran
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Projects fail left and right not because of the naysayers, although there is certainly no shortage of them on the Pfhorums, but because making a scenario is an immensely difficult and tedious task that takes an enormous time commitment, and very few people have enough interest in their own work to perpetuate it after a year or two of work.

Just about everyone at first had dreams of making their own scenario. The smart ones realized quickly that it's far too much trouble for its own good. Most of the idiots like myself that persist kind of fizzle out before too long when they really get a grasp of just how much work it takes, especially to fit the average aspiration of like 40 levels with all new guns and monsters and stuff like that.

So think about it this way. If people think your scenario doesn't look very good, really they're just looking out for you, because you wouldn't want to spend 2+ years on a scenario only to find out it's embarrassingly bad.
There's wisdom in this post.
Dugit
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:TGIBX isn't done yet.
I never said it was. I just said that, according to that thread (the one I highlighted), it had died.
Last edited by Dugit on Dec 4th '09, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I never said it was. I just said that, according to that thread (the one I highlighted), it had died.
It was considered legally dead for a bit, but turns out it's on life support after all.

Don't hold your breath on it.
irons
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:Put the player through training, and then have him get lost on a mission, and have to fight his way back through enemy territory, then you can continue your plot. (2-3 Levels)
I reiterate dugit's idea of a space station, but break it. smash it. be floating in space. this is doable but never done. be able to float through rubble and kill stuff on the way.
A great idea already, use a partially destructible map. make it so that the exit is blocked off in a certain amount of time. if you apply the jump.lua then make pathways that sink into lava, but requre the player to be shooting something to one side.
A map I've already partially made, make a bunch of exponentially growing circles from the center of the map, and then make the last circle's floor space. put that down to 8 WU (or whatever is enough so that you can see it but not too much) This is your singularity engine. Its kinda hard to imagine, but imagine yourself inside a rocket, vertically. Use that... ugh... its on the battlecat's... but hide the celing and the floor should be space so that dont matter, but make the catwalks and whatever you put in, end somewhere. Dream level right there.
what else...
Mountain. just make a mountain, with the goal of getting to the top. exept enemies all around. Maybe a Volcano, with little pools of lava everywhere.
an island with tall rocks around it, and a base, offshore. make it puzzle style, so you cant see the destination... hah... i just copied somthing.. lol... ooops... Google "Ahonay" and "Mist" and you'll get a great idea.
Open Factory
Make a map with a lot of moving parts, and advise the player to be really careful... (=
do a boat level, where you make a buncha small boats, and have the water tide goin FAST in the opposite direction. I would play that.
Do a level where you can fall off all sides, maybe hopping around on rocks that are protruding from the sky beneath you, and fog it to the MAX.
Do something with the name Europa. prefferably a moon level, low grav., where you can fall off by jumping too high.
Do a bridge. One bridge, abyss beneath. HUGE fight.
Battlefields with trenches are always good. id skech out my perfect battlefield but i havent the time.
Ill let you chew on that awhile before i spit out more for you.
Fishman92 wrote:I couldn't read it.
Anyway, I was not being sarcastic about Treellama's dissociation. I heartily recommend a level based on it.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

you give public schooling too much credit.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:you give public schooling too little credit.