pausing game when logging on to terminal

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

is it possible at all to pause the game when the player logs onto the terminal with a lua script?
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:No
damn, I guess the only way to do that is to hardcode it.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

With the original Marathon 1, the game would pause whenever you log onto a terminal. I always preferred the M2 and beyond method of having to clear out a room before being able to read the terminal within it.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Marathoner325 wrote:With the original Marathon 1, the game would pause whenever you log onto a terminal. I always preferred the M2 and beyond method of having to clear out a room before being able to read the terminal within it.
It's kind of annoying, though, when you are somewhere where you cannot kill the monsters shooting at you, and so you speed through the terminal to teleport out of the level and never get to know what it says.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

gmanyo wrote:It's kind of annoying, though, when you are somewhere where you cannot kill the monsters shooting at you, and so you speed through the terminal to teleport out of the level and never get to know what it says.
True, true. I remember the first time I beat M2's last level, I just went to the final terminal and button-mashed the tab key while hunters and juggernauts were shooting at my back.
irons
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:It's kind of annoying, though, when you are somewhere where you cannot kill the monsters shooting at you, and so you speed through the terminal to teleport out of the level and never get to know what it says.
This is probably the fault of the level designer. If an engine had features implemented to fix every flaw its content-creators introduced, it would be the most bloated engine ever. The developer is not responsible for this kind of problem.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Marathoner325 wrote:True, true. I remember the first time I beat M2's last level, I just went to the final terminal and button-mashed the tab key while hunters and juggernauts were shooting at my back.
I have a film where I access both exits to All Roads Lead to Sol... in which I button mash so fast that I actually avoid the lava damage on the final terminal.
dude, seriously. dude.
Caleb
Born on Board

Being the story buff, I hate it when I have to terminal mash. :[ It's especially annoying in vacuum levels, since they are usually the dream levels where the terminals are the best.
"Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."
Formerly Felldoh93
My Deviantart
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Or how about in a vacuum? Minf, anybody?
Last edited by gmanyo on Jan 31st '10, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Hey, here's another annoying example: vacuum.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Caleb
Born on Board

Quit copying meeeeeee
"Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one."
Formerly Felldoh93
My Deviantart
irons
Vidmaster

I was copying gmanyo, who just happened to be copying you. Nothing personal.
riserobotrise
Cyborg

irons wrote:This is probably the fault of the level designer. If an engine had features implemented to fix every flaw its content-creators introduced, it would be the most bloated engine ever. The developer is not responsible for this kind of problem.
well they could've set an extermination condition, forcing you to kill all the monsters.

In M1A1, there is a problem on the level Smells Like Napalm,Tastes Like Chicken where you go to the secret area with the platform that is on a very short time limit. In the original game, since the game itself pauses when you read the terminal, you did have enough time to read the terminal, collect the TOZT weapon and run right out. Taking out the pause in the game takes that ability out.

The only thing I can think of where M1 game play is hindered was on the level couch fishing, where before you blast all the aliens out from the hallways, you can read the terminal placed right in front of you.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

But what about vacuums, guys?
irons
Vidmaster

riserobotrise wrote:well they could've set an extermination condition, forcing you to kill all the monsters.
Right, and that's the level designer's fault.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to bring up vacuum.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:While we're on the subject, I'd like to bring up vacuum.
I think I found the problem.
goran
Vidmaster

Alt+p pauses the game. It is not as convenient as M1's auto pause, but it works.
Last edited by goran on Feb 1st '10, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Not in vacuum.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Not in vacuum.
Shit man, good point! I hadn't thought of that one.