What games are you currently playing?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

riserobotrise wrote:I'm considering doom3, it looks like a fun game. I'm very surprised its heavily story driven, with puzzles to0 solve, and objectives to clear (sounds like an older FPS game that came in 10 year before?)

Reading about the game, and watching a few lets plays, it looks like the perfect candidate for a rendition of pathways into darkness. It seems to carry much of the same features that the PiD game carried.
I own Doom 3, and it's overall quite good. Although the claustrophobic corridors and the often static levels may be a turn-off for some, it carries a very good atmosphere with it and succeeds in being a scary game.

And a rendition of PiD for Doom 3 has actually been done?titled "Pathways Redux." You can view the trailer for it here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwYpTIIEe0o
riserobotrise
Cyborg

Marathoner325 wrote:I own Doom 3, and it's overall quite good. Although the claustrophobic corridors and the often static levels may be a turn-off for some, it carries a very good atmosphere with it and succeeds in being a scary game.

And a rendition of PiD for Doom 3 has actually been done?titled "Pathways Redux." You can view the trailer for it here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwYpTIIEe0o
wow, that looks pretty awesome. I'm glad someone else thought of it first. A little disappointed to read that there's only an hour of game play, but If I ever get around to get doom3, I'm sure I'll download it and give it a try.

a little off topic here ... I know a lot of people talked about Bungie doing a marathon or myth sequel/remake. For me the former would ruin the series and the latter isn't possible due to issues with take2, but I think a PiD remake would be a worthy cause (considering it wouldn't be an xbox only game)
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Idkbutlike2 wrote:Playing some Final Fantasy VI, the best RPG ever made by Squaresoft. [MUp]
Secret Of Mana? Yes, it surely is the best RPG ever made by Squaresoft; Secret Of Mana. [MTongue]

Hell, besides all those old school games like Marathon, Duke Nukem and Full Throttle, I have no clue WTF all of you are talking about. Except for the "Legend Of Zelda" series, games got so damn boring to me. [MFrown] Last "modern" games I played were "Champions Of Norrath" and "Soul Calibur II/III" for PS2 together with friends (most likely because of this)... even those are so old now.
Last edited by dschungltiga on Feb 18th '10, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

tiga wrote:Secret Of Mana? Yes, it surely is the best RPG ever made by Squaresoft; Secret Of Mana. [MTongue]

Hell, besides all those old school games like Marathon, Duke Nukem and Full Throttle, I have no clue WTF all of you are talking about. Except for the "Legend Of Zelda" series, games got so damn boring to me. [MFrown] Last "modern" games I played were "Champions Of Norrath" and "Soul Calibur II/III" for PS2 together with friends (most likely because of this)... even those are so old now.
Yeah, I'm sorry but I think you meant Secret of Evermore. It's an easy mistake to make because the names are so similar.
Image Image
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Aaaah, SOE. Beautiful graphics, and these music pieces... WAY ahead of its time! And I also liked the way "Spells" were performed in a more pseudo-realistic way by combining chemical elements.

But they didn't even include 2 player support, even though there were 2 characters, thats why I prefer SOM with its 3 player support. [MFrown]
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Marathoner325 wrote:I am currently playing through several games, including:
-Riven (Myst sequel)
Yeah, Riven's awesome. Riven and Myst IV are the best (never played the original, though).
Envy wrote:you know there was a Myst Online? THAT was the best game.
I always thought that the online Myst looked retarded. What's the point of Myst without pre-rendered graphics? (same goes for Myst III)

Hey, does anyone remember the Gecko at the beginning of Myst IV?

Other games I have been playing:
-Nethack
-Pirates
-Extreme Paintbrawl 2

Games I just recently beat:
-Fallout 3
-Pirates of the Caribbean (the original Xbox version)
Marathoner325
Cyborg

gmanyo wrote:Yeah, Riven's awesome. Riven and Myst IV are the best (never played the original, though).
If you are using a Macintosh, or have some sort of emulator for old Macintosh apps, then you can download the original here? http://macintoshgarden.org/games/myst
riserobotrise
Cyborg

right now I'm playing Oni! I haven't had a strong desire to play it for a long time, but since it was a bungie game, I decided to give it a try.

and I must say, its a fairly alright game. It lacks multi-player, and graphics looks somewhat dated (in the settings I changed it from a PS1 looking game to a PS2 looking game)

I think the game however is better suited for console play than it is for PC gaming. I know that rockstar games has ported to the PS2.

I'm only on the 2nd level so far, so I can't really give it my full on review, but I find it quite enjoyable. I do however wished it were in windowed mode (ever since playing older games that were modded to be played in windowed mode, I wish all games that would come out now would have that option).

My only other qualm with it is that I think it needs more environmental detail, but that might be the fact that its an older game.

oh, and Marathoner325, how is MOO2 working out so far. I think it was you who mentioned trying it out.
Last edited by riserobotrise on Feb 21st '10, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

riserobotrise wrote:oh, and Marathoner325, how is MOO2 working out so far. I think it was you who mentioned trying it out.
I haven't gotten it working yet; I tried using Dosbox, but I couldn't get that to work.
Wasabi
Born on Board

i'm playing through quake I just downloaded it I think I'm at level 3
wasabi?
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

tiga wrote:Secret Of Mana? Yes, it surely is the best RPG ever made by Squaresoft; Secret Of Mana. [MTongue]

Meh, can't really agree with that. Sure, it's a fun game, but it's glitchy as anything. Which is not to say FF6 doesn't have it's fair share of glitches, but they just aren't as obvious, and don't get in the way of the gameplay. With SoM, your partners' AI is extremely erratic (yes, even for a game released in 1993), and all of the sprite interactions are rather clunky. I'm not saying it's bad, but I can't see how you like it better than FF6 [MOh]
Last edited by Idkbutlike2 on Feb 24th '10, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Future Cop: LAPD

Running Classic emulation through OS X and emulating 3Dfx Glide through OpenGL using OpenGLide. Surprisingly, this game runs really well through Classic.

If you have a copy of Future Cop and are trying to get it to run, download OpenGLide 0.13 (for 3Dfx support in Classic...You could play the game using RAVE, but its missing some of the cool graphics and explosion effects that Glide gives you.) and the Future Cop 1.0.2 update. There is a 1.0.2b2 patch (which is the only one GameRanger supports if you so choose to use it), but it crashes every time you go into the pause menu.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Best fighting game ever, and the adventure mode actually has a plot this time.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
Miak
Cyborg

On the top of my head I can think of:

Heretic
Doom 2
Quake 3 Arena
Quake 3 Team Arena
Caesar 2
Spore
Quantum of Solace
KOTOR
Morrowind
Oblivion
League of Legends
Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited (Not as much as I used to though)
C&C Red alert (Usually every other week)
Chex quest 3 (Pending)
Marathon (Pending)
Durandal (Pending)
Infinity (Pending)

I definately recommend League of Legends to all of you who love the RTS genre. It's sort of like The Warcraft 3 mod DOTA, except, ya know, its not a mod.
Zott
Vidmaster

Chex quest 3 (Pending)
Push to the top of the list!

I beat it in a day, and in less than 2 hours. Might as well get it off your list and it isn't a bad either.
Plug: http://biasedvideogamerblog.com/blog:chex-quest-3-pc
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Vladtepes
Cyborg

Miak wrote:I definately recommend League of Legends to all of you who love the RTS genre. It's sort of like The Warcraft 3 mod DOTA, except, ya know, its not a mod.
It has actually be done by the same team, so it IS dota except stand alone.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

VladTepes wrote:It has actually be done by the same team, so it IS dota except stand alone.
Is Heroes of Newerth also DOTA-but-standalone? I haven't played any of them.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

It seems it is yet another dota clone. I actually have not played any of them, even if I use to play dota some time ago. My main problem with dota were the terrible default controls and other limitations coming from warcraft 3 tft. I think a lot of good players used some third party (windows only) programs to remap them (and also create macros, which should be considered as a cheat). The problem was even worse on french version because of some localized default shortcuts that were interfering with dota ones.

For what I have seen on League of Legends screenshots it seems that, at least, keyboard shortcuts are now much better.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo wrote:What's the point of Myst without pre-rendered graphics?
myst v was super easy (i.e., i actually beat it!), but it was *gorgeous*. it also had a movement mode where you ran along a track like in the original mysts, so having non-static graphics only marginally detracted from the atmosphere of the game while contributing majorly to its sheer beauty.
Grayswandir wrote:Future Cop: LAPD
i wanted to make it through G-Police at some point, but all my gaming goals have fallen by the wayside recently. grad school is so incredibly busy
Last edited by thermoplyae on Feb 26th '10, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Heroes of Newerth (HoN as it is shortened) is played by many in my class, myself included. It is a really good Dota clone that is much more balanced and much easier to understand and play. for dota fans i do recommend to give it a try.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
dschungltiga
Born on Board

Idkbutlike2 wrote:Meh, can't really agree with that. Sure, it's a fun game, but it's glitchy as anything. Which is not to say FF6 doesn't have it's fair share of glitches, but they just aren't as obvious, and don't get in the way of the gameplay. With SoM, your partners' AI is extremely erratic (yes, even for a game released in 1993), and all of the sprite interactions are rather clunky. I'm not saying it's bad, but I can't see how you like it better than FF6 [MOh]
A matter of taste. I don't like that round based fighting style, I'm more a fan of realtime action. Having the 3 player feature, plus partly good (well okay and partly very annoying) music and (to me) nice looking graphics it's one of the best games I ever was able to play. But just as I said, a matter of taste.

Oh and yes, very glitchy... :P
CryoS
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote:Future Cop: LAPD
***IMAGE***
Running Classic emulation through OS X and emulating 3Dfx Glide through OpenGL using OpenGLide. Surprisingly, this game runs really well through Classic.

If you hssic...You could play the game using RAVE, but its missing some of the cool graphics and explosion effectsave a copy of Future Cop and are trying to get it to run, download OpenGLide 0.13 (for 3Dfx support in Cla that Glide gives you.) and the Future Cop 1.0.2 update. There is a 1.0.2b2 patch (which is the only one GameRanger supports if you so choose to use it), but it crashes every time you go into the pause menu.
damn i loved that game when i was young(er) used to play it all the time. i actually bought it for PC aobut a year ago :)
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

Rayman 2: the Great Escape. One of the funnest N64 games of all time, seriously.
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
Miak
Cyborg

VladTepes wrote:It seems it is yet another dota clone. I actually have not played any of them, even if I use to play dota some time ago. My main problem with dota were the terrible default controls and other limitations coming from warcraft 3 tft. I think a lot of good players used some third party (windows only) programs to remap them (and also create macros, which should be considered as a cheat). The problem was even worse on french version because of some localized default shortcuts that were interfering with dota ones.

For what I have seen on League of Legends screenshots it seems that, at least, keyboard shortcuts are now much better.
Actually, the shortcuts are customizable.
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

Final Fantasy IX. Hell to the yes, this is the best of the PS1 FF trilogy, in almost all aspects.