Power Drive

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I changed the weapon switching speed to be 5 ticks for every weapon, rather than anywhere from 7 to 30. I also dialed down the SMG damage a touch.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

A few more. First are two maps from Paradife Loft: Daggerfall (was Bladestorm) and Contagion (was X Syndrome). See, it's a two-way street. Then there are also two brand new maps.

I've also fiddled with the Fusion Pistol and Alien Gun a touch, making them a little closer to on par with the AR/SMG, and I've touched up the weapons on Lost World and Vertigo.

9. Daggerfall
This was Bladestorm.

10. Contagion
This was X Syndrome.

11. Vitriol
This is a small and very tight map with lots of cover. Managing the powerups -- rockets, flamethrower, and 2x -- can be an important factor here.

12. Downshift
This is a larger map with a few large rooms making up most of the map. Could be an interesting hill map, I'm not sure.

Get it now.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

So soon to update, I know. Version 1.3.1 has Quake-style health kits (they look like 1x canisters) that heal you in small increments.
Skullcleaver
Born on Board

If you have small canisters like that, wouldn't putting 2x and 3x cylinders in a map ruin it?
Big health vs small health.
I LIKE PIE
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Skullcleaver wrote:...wouldn't putting 2x and 3x cylinders in a map ruin it?
Yes, but chances are the map sucked in the first place.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:A few more. First are two maps from Paradife Loft: Daggerfall (was Bladestorm) and Contagion (was X Syndrome). See, it's a two-way street. Then there are also two brand new maps.

I've also fiddled with the Fusion Pistol and Alien Gun a touch, making them a little closer to on par with the AR/SMG, and I've touched up the weapons on Lost World and Vertigo.

9. Daggerfall
This was Bladestorm.
Not gonna jump to conclusions here, but i'm guessing you have played The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall at some point.
"Escape will make me God"
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

It's hard to tell that you picked up a health kit with the current sound, it's the same as the ammo pickup sound. Maybe if you still used the powerup sound with a higher pitch?
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
goran
Vidmaster

I recommend absorbed for an alternative sound.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

1.4.0 is available and has a few substantial changes to the core gameplay from 1.3.1.

First, the minihealth presence has been reduced. I've cut out 25-50% of them on pretty much all of the maps and increased the respawn delay from 15 seconds to 25. This sort of reduces their effectiveness; now they're more useful for just getting away from near-death rather than fully healing. I've also changed the item pickup sound for them to the recharger hum/buzz sound to make them very distinctive.

Second, the powerup presence in every map has been greatly increased. All maps have at least one of the following three maps: double health, triple health, invisibility. They've been muddled with Lua to change their functionality slightly:
* Double health spawns after 15 seconds have elapsed, and will always respawn 60 seconds after someone collects it.
* Triple health spawns after 25 seconds, and will always respawn 75 seconds after someone collects it.
* Invisibility spawns after 35 seconds, and will respawn 75 seconds after someone collects it as well.
This means that, in a 7 minute game, double health will appear at most six times, which is far more than they tend to spawn in your average map with a 2x can. To balance this, all of the powerups have been nerfed slightly: Invisibility only lasts 45 seconds (instead of 70, as default), and you will lose health at a rate of 2.5 points/second if you have 151-300, and 5 points/second if you have 301-450. The latter has a minimal effect in larger games because most people just don't live that long, but it's really nice in smaller games to prevent a single player running the powerups the entire game and never ever dying.

On a couple maps, powerups have been moved around to make them more easily accessible. Powerups also always appear on little light panels, mostly to help them stand out more and be visible from afar. An example:

Third, maps now have a much stronger rocket/shotgun presence than they used to. This is kind of a concession to lag; the SMG is awfully hard to rely on in a ping blizzard. Maps also have a stronger fusion gun presence, just because I like it.

Fourth, two new maps! Both of these are on the rather large side.

13. Tyrant
This one in particular is extremely large. There are several buildings clustered around the central cavern that you can duck into to get higher ground, powerups (2x and 3x), and escape attackers. Stay in the middle at your peril. Great hill map, as far as that goes.

14. Toxic
This map is more of a complex of rooms than a single large space surrounded by smaller spaces. Hanging out in one room just won't do here. Several rather dark areas means the Invisibility can be a real threat here.