Port Aleph One to a Java Applet

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Weyoun
Spazeroid

Hi all! I've worked on MMORPG's implemented in java applets. I want to throw a few ideas around concerning Marathon and Java Applets. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to play Marathon from your browser? I want to try and port it in the near future, what do you guys have to say about this idea?
Last edited by Weyoun on Nov 11th '10, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

That would be SWEET.
treellama
Vidmaster

Java is so 1990's. Think HTML 5 / JavaScript, like Quake Live.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Java Applets are so 1990's.
fixed...

In fact, the gaming part of Quake Live is juste a modified version of the original game code released as a web browser plugin. Playing that game requires downloading the full game (as a plugin) and installing it.
It is not a real browser game.

I see no interest in playing A1 in a browser if it means you that have to install it anyway and that you cannot add custom content. At least, not with current netcode. Also... good luck for porting the full game to java...
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
treellama
Vidmaster

VladTepes wrote:fixed...
Yes, of course.
In fact, the gaming part of Quake Live is juste a modified version of the original game code released as a web browser plugin. Playing that game requires downloading the full game (as a plugin) and installing it.
It is not a real browser game.

I see no interest in playing A1 in a browser if it means you that have to install it anyway and that you cannot add custom content. At least, not with current netcode. Also... good luck for porting the full game to java...
Actually, they did demo Quake Live running in HTML 5/JS, but you are right, the version you get to play is just a browser plugin.
Weyoun
Spazeroid

So it's 1 positive, and 2 negative. 33.33% :/