Pfhorums 7 year, 7 month, 7 day anniversary!

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
Switch
Vidmaster

Welcome to Pfhorums 3.0.

If you are having log in trouble, send me an email. You can find my address at rkuykendall.com.

Say goodbye to SPAM [spnkr] Say hello to a faster, modern Pfhorums. [MUp]
40k spam posts and 60k spam users were deleted, so if we missed any, just let us know.

A full archive of the old Pfhorums can be found at http://old.pfhorums.com/, but it looks like everything has transferred well.

So, what do you think of the new place? [MWuh]'
Last edited by Switch on Jan 19th '13, 05:53, edited 6 times in total.
Jim
Cyborg

best birthday present ever
treellama
Vidmaster

Three spam posts already--looking good!

How do I moderate?
Switch
Vidmaster

A few spam bots will come through while I configure the anti-spam filters over the next few days. [MWuh]

The difference is, anti-spam for PHPBB is modern and available.
cocide
Spazeroid

Well apparently reCapcha did not work at all to prevent spam bots from creating accounts. We are trying other methods and will be watching the spamming (which is easy to remove) for a bit to make sure the problem is solved. And yes, the old system was getting hit with new spambots that often for probably a few years too - hence the big need for the upgrade.
treellama
Vidmaster

A few topics in Aleph One Discussion I had enabled because nobody was enabling users. Those users were never enabled, so their posts got lost in the transition. May as well delete the replies to those topics, which no longer make sense.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Cool new board! Generally speaking, I really like it. Bland web-safe font choices (but why, for the love of Thoth, would you put Arial before Helvetica in a font stack?) but pretty nice overall. We even have our custom smilies back.

And thanks to switch for fixing my account so I can log in and post meaningless drivel.
interion
Cyborg

Going to miss the old white background look, but if new players can now register then I guess it's worth the loss.

I feel a little stupid asking this, but did the old forums have a separate user name and login? I was looking through the member list and there were a few names I didn't recognize but I'm pretty sure I know who they are based on their posts.
Switch
Vidmaster

interion wrote:did the old forums have a separate user name and login? I was looking through the member list and there were a few names I didn't recognize but I'm pretty sure I know who they are based on their posts
The old forum allowed you to set a "display name" and didn't allow you to change your account name. If anyone misses their display name, I would be happy to change their account name for them, and one user has already messaged me to do that.
ChristTrekker wrote:Bland web-safe font choices (but why, for the love of Thoth, would you put Arial before Helvetica in a font stack?)
There were worse design crimes to deal with. Maybe I'll play with fonts after I've made sure all the fade-to-white gifs are fixed.
Last edited by Switch on Jan 17th '13, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.
TheMoonChef
Born on Board

Well, I'm glad the Pfhorums are back up. I thought that the whole Marathon community had just disappeared off the internet. :lol:
treellama
Vidmaster

Couple things I can't figure out: how to reply with quotes, how to edit my posts.

I think the fonts are OK (and of course Arial should be in front of Helvetica for @media screen!). The design is much better than old Pfhorums. The dashed underline under URLs does makes me think I'm going to see a Kontera pop-up if I hover :D
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

There should be an Edit button in the upper right corner of the post box, in that row of gray buttons.

It seems like a lot of people either have had their avatars removed, or took them down, though.

ETA: Is there a widescreen version of this display, though? Normally I'm all for a narrower orientation, but once you take out the column for avatars and such, the actual posts only take up about a third of my screen width.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Happy anniversary!

New look is nice, but I'm not sure about having the thread's title on every post in that bright blue, a little harsh. But still, phpBB is my favorite kind of forum so... more pros than cons.

[MUp]
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

treellama wrote:I think the fonts are OK (and of course Arial should be in front of Helvetica for @media screen!).
Sacrilege! Arial is a cheap knock-off of Helvetica. The only time I've heard of Helvetica looking poorly on screen is for Windows (because of ClearType), and about the only time you see Helv on a PC is for print designers (i.e. very rarely). Macs OTOH have it very often, and there it looks fine. I think the benefits of giving most Mac users a superior font is worth the miniscule number of Windows users that might be inconvenienced.

Still can't post new smilies, though. 😞
SylithSenjak
Born on Board

Hm, I think I like it! Though admittedly I haven't been around long enough to grow very attached to the old site...
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Awesome [MUp]
Zott
Vidmaster

Well, this was certainly a surprise. Since I was able to login, no complaints yet. We'll have to see how that changes as the forum is used in the coming days. ^_^ Thanks Appleswitch.

EDIT: Is it possible to set a different font for pinned topics? Right now they blend too much into the everyday topics. Also, where did that button go that allows me to see only new posts since the last visit. That was the most useful forum feature!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Also, where did that button go that allows me to see only new posts since the last visit. That was the most useful forum feature!
The search menu has view new posts.
treellama
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:There should be an Edit button in the upper right corner of the post box, in that row of gray buttons.
Curiously, Edit and Quote show up in Chrome, but not Firefox.

All set!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I used a quote and edited my last response using Firefox. I haven't even had to allow javascript for the pfhorums.
gentleniceguy
Born on Board

I for one am happy to see this form moving into the second decade of the dawn of the new millennium! The sleak webpages look wonderfull! Grate job, appleswitch!!!!
[MUp] [MUp]
[MUp] [MUp]
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

appleswitch wrote: it looks like everything has transfered well.
I'm not so sure that everything transfered [sic] well http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?p=154997#p154997
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

The new Pfhorums looks amazing! You did a great job! I like the nice, modern look to it. The site is easy to navigate and well organized (it seems more organized than the old one). I am happy to hear that all the spam accounts are deleted, and that the anti-spam filter will be better. Also, I am happy to see that we still have the Marathon Smilies! Thank you, Appleswitch! [MSmile]
Paul
Cyborg

Boy, I miss Marathon.
infwaffle
Mjolnir Mark IV

This is quite lovely. I really like what you've done with this. However I've noticed that the latest post on the index on shows who posted it and not where. It's a small problem and not important.